deleting duplicates in bulk

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ismanpa

deleting duplicates in bulk

Post by *ismanpa »

Hello,

Is there a way to delete duplicated files in bulk not one by one.

Thank you!
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, ismanpa.

You might use the forum search function and look for the string "duplicate files". It will return a list of two screenpages filled with thread covering this topic. There might be a few threads which hold the pieces of information which you are looking for.

Here is a randomly selected thread from the list: Deleting dulplicate files

Depending on the details of your seach for duplicate files, the Total Commander function Synchronize Dirs possibly can be used to locate and eliminate duplicate files.

In general, a frequently recommended programme which has been especially designed for finding and handling duplicate files is CloneSpy.

HTH,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on 2009-07-25, 23:01 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

DupeMerge isn't exactly what yer asking about, it *creates hardlinks for all dupes it finds instead of deleting. I usually have a good reason for having duplicates of something - so I'd be more inclined to use dupemerge now n then, than a duplicate deletion tool. Though I'll have to check out clonespy.

Might be interesting to use CloneSpy or the like to find where it might be best to run DupeMerge... as I have a number of unpacked sources and modified directories -- I wouldn't want to delete the latter or hardlink the unmodified files either.

I'm a little oldschool, I find more value in a ~100kb tool that works really well from the cmd prompt than a multi-Meg or 100 meg+ GUI suite. (DupeMerge is 61kb)

(*) DupeMerge can also be run with "--list" flag, and it will just output its findings. I wasn't expecting as much output, and forgot to pipe/redirect it to a file.
i.e. dupemerge --list --maxsize 10000 D:\ >> dupemerge.list