Is there any news about faster search?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sheppaul

Is there any news about faster search?

Post by *sheppaul »

Hello,

I've just switched to vista sp1 and seen there is a great improvement of file indexing method. Now it's possible to specify the location and filetype to index. I think it's time to think about it again.

File search is one of the repeating jobs which makes me boring. Is there any news about it?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I haven't had the time to check the indexing functions so far. I fear that they will not support all the advanced search functions like regular expressions...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sheppaul

Post by *sheppaul »

Thank for the response.

I understood your concern about the searching method. However, I think it would be better to have some improved way of searching interface and method.

The interface of searching in vista is very impressive. No need to input "enter". It's not related to the indexing function. Vista seems to search files first in indexed database which is configurable and plus more in whole drives with simple input.

If possible, I'd like to see a similar function in Total commander. For example, let's assume TCMD had a search tab and small search query dialog attachable to the main interface of TCMD. And if anything is inputted into the query... you may know what I mean. :)

Or I think it would be enough to have a simple search query dialog on the main interface of TCMD which works instantly by automatically openning the search window and starting search with the inputted word.

Just my 2cent.
Only using TCMD x64. :)
PeterTBCarp2

Search SP1 Vista

Post by *PeterTBCarp2 »

My new understanding is that MSft has responded to a law suit initiated by Google that third-party search engines were disadvantaged by MSft's embedding deeply its own search function in the OS - making other add-on search engines slow the OS down because of the additional load.

It seems that MSft has now made the API more open by allowing the choice of a single search engine to be specified. Choose another SE and MSft's closes down.

So might there be an opportunity for TC to hook into the new SE API - in the first instance?
Your reference, Christian, to the advanced search functions like regular expressions, is, I suspect, applicable to only a small minority of Search users. Could not the additional functionality you provide be 'hooked into' as a supplemental function - after using the new primary OS search?
sheppaul

Post by *sheppaul »

making other add-on search engines slow the OS down because of the additional load.
I'm unsure about that. However, a file indexing was there long before and now searching interface and indexing method are greatly improved. It looks really promising. I've been using 3rd party's multi-tab brower and alway asking a bit more convienent interface for searching favorite bookmarks. The faster file search looks similar to the common media library implemented for the management of audio files in media players.

Your reference, Christian, to the advanced search functions like regular expressions, is, I suspect, applicable to only a small minority of Search users.
I agree. Regular expression would not be used by the most general users of total commander. :)
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

sheppaul wrote:
Your reference, Christian, to the advanced search functions like regular expressions, is, I suspect, applicable to only a small minority of Search users.
I agree. Regular expression would not be used by the most general users of total commander. :)
I disagree with you here. RegExps are very useful and rather easy to learn. I'm pretty sure that most of my friends use them.
sheppaul

Post by *sheppaul »

Most users do not need to learn RegExps. I think it's just your opinion and it is not true. Probably you and your friends require it for some reason. e.g. programmer, webmaster etc for a specific job process. It is generally not required for normal users. I'm not saying it is useless but the requirement of faster search could not include RegExps when it is not part of WDS (windows desktop search).

Considering faster search is an instant reaction from the inputs of keyboard, RegExps is not suitable to be included.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Most users do not need to learn RegExps.
That's not because they don't need it but because they have no clue about what RegEx can do for them.
Considering faster search is an instant reaction from the inputs of keyboard, RegExps is not suitable to be included.
Basic RegEx can be shorter and faster to enter than normal search strings and more advanced RegEx can be loaded from presets.

An indexed search without RegEx is a waste of time to implement, looks like it perfectly fits in Vista, the most useless OS since Windows ME.

TC needs powerful search abilities, sufficient for noobs and geeks. It makes no sense to implement a search which is only useful for housewifes searching for a recipe of apple pie.

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2008-06-06, 12:36 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

To learn how to deal with RegExps I can highly recommend Regex Buddy! Incredibly helpful even to wannabe power-users like me!

So that's another vote in favour of search solutions WITH regex!

I have no idea about Vista, btw. No intentions of switching...
license #76904
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2TucknDar
Unfortunately under Download section stays:
"There is no free evaluation version of RegexBuddy."
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

sheppaul

Post by *sheppaul »

@icfu

You seem to fail to understand what I'm talking about. Have you any experience with the search function in vista? No need to underestimate vista to explain the faster search is just a crap.

Searching is what I'm doing in my daily job with tcmd. I'm using regexps too.
Only using TCMD x64. :)
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2ghisler(Author)
Could some kind of support to Locate32 be better solution? Its author has TC's plugins handling in "to do list" so he might cooperate. It's just my guess but worth to try imho.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

PeterTBCarp2

Oy!

Post by *PeterTBCarp2 »

Would correspondents please note that my suggestion was for:
1. Hooking into the new OS search function as mandated by law, and
2. As a supplementary function, implementing RegExps searching by way of auxiliary code.

The best of both.
Peace, my children; Peace.
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

UBER & "RegEx-Code for Apple Pie" :)
When I search for "Apple Pie" (without quotation marks) in Explorer, I will even find "Apple Pie.exe" in "Receipes.zip". Try that with TC...
I consider that TCs search function is insufficient and sometimes dangerous.

PeterTBCarp2s suggestion to use the search function of the operating system could lead into the right direction.
It seems that TC is loosing its track to the upcoming OSses like x64, Vista and "Windows Se7en" (Google for that).

It is possible to call the Vista-Find from Total Commanders i.e. Buttonbar:

Code: Select all

Commando: 
%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e,::{9343812e-1c37-4a49-a12e-4b2d810d956b} 
Icon: (Example) 
C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,209 
You can create virtual directories out of these searches in Vista.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Stance wrote:UBER & "RegEx-Code for Apple Pie" :)
When I search for "Apple Pie" (without quotation marks) in Explorer, I will even find "Apple Pie.exe" in "Receipes.zip". Try that with TC...
I consider that TCs search function is insufficient and sometimes dangerous.
When I search for "Apple Pie" (with quotation marks and "Search archives" selected), I will find "Apple Pie.exe" in "Receipes.zip".
I fail to see where it is dangerous or insufficient.