Network browsing flexibility.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Network browsing flexibility.

Post by *pdavit »

When I browse network machines with TC and I try to view one with a computer description shown under the Size column the edit path on the top of the file list passes this to the network path of that machine. The format is as follows:

\\computer description (computer name)\*.*

By editing the above path removing the *.* bit and replacing it with c$ beeps TC without any outcome. If I manually delete the part with the computer description I can successfully access the remote computer’s resources!!

I presume this is normal behavior (correct me if I’m wrong) but it’s not very practical (although informative) since we have to manually delete that bit to access resources of machines that have a computer description assigned to them. It would be nice to keep the info shown but in terms of network accessing behavior TC should ignore that bit as the path is not recognizable and TC beeps whenever the computer description is visible in the path.

As an extension to the above it should be nice, straightforward, and flexible if, for example, by pressing Shift+Enter on a remote machine shown in the Network Neighborhood TC could automatically pass the c$ parameter (which is the most common anyway) so that we can directly view the remote machine’s hard drive.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Still no thoughts by others?!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Well, it's hard for me to comment this (but I want to smooth over a bit your lonesome subsistence here, so I'll try :)) because I use NT4 and don't have such problem - I just see "<DIR>" in the Size column for every PC in nethood (in both Brief and Full modes). In a pane title bar I see "\\computer name\*.*". No computer description. No parenthesis. Probably you're talking about XP or 2000.

As to going to the "c$" on shift-enter: not every PC has these admin shares (I personally deleted them on mine), so IMO the standard way (Enter on PC name, up/down to share name and then Enter on it) is OK. But I admit that for you (administering a network as I understood) it would speed up browsing...

OK. I hope you don't feel so lonely and bored now? :)
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Network browsing flexibility.

Post by *wanderer »

pdavit wrote:When I browse network machines with TC and I try to view one with a computer description shown under the Size column the edit path on the top of the file list passes this to the network path of that machine. The format is as follows:

\\computer description (computer name)\*.*
Hi there. I'm not sure i understood what you're talking about. You probably go to Network Neighborhood, right? In there you see some PCs. Some of them have descriptions under the Size column. So far so good. The path shown above the filelist in my computer shows only the ComputerName, not its description (\\MYPC\*.*, not \\MYPC (My PC)\*.*). When i click on it, the "*.*" disappears and i get just \\MYPC\ to edit... Perhaps there is a setting somewhere which needs to be deactivated? I have Win2K, i don't know if this makes any difference...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

No, I’m talking about the file path above the file list. The file list is ok it’s the editable path field above the file list that includes the computer description bit that confuses (direct) browsing and needs to be removed!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

pdavit wrote:No, I’m talking about the file path above the file list. The file list is ok it’s the editable path field above the file list that includes the computer description bit that confuses (direct) browsing and needs to be removed!
I think we're talking about the same thing here, the path above the tabstop header (when all options in Config\Layout are activated). It works fine in my PC under Win2K. It does not display the computer's comment, just its name. Try renaming your existing INI file and see if it happens with the default INI. If it doesn't, there must be an option to enable/disable this behavior. If it does, maybe it has something to do with the O/S you're using (a hidden option in windows perhaps).
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

I experience the problem on WinXP but not on W2k. In the later case the computer description is not displayed in the editable path hence the luck of the problem. Do you know which ini value needs to be changed and to what? I could easily search for info in the help file but I don't really want to mess things out but I rather prefer tested configurations by other users! ;)
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

pdavit wrote:I experience the problem on WinXP but not on W2k.
pdavit wrote:Do you know which ini value needs to be changed and to what?
IMO, there must be a WinXP setting somewhere, (perhaps in TweakUI XP?). I don't know about a TCmd setting. Perhaps Christian or someone else can help you on this.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's indeed a "feature" of XP to return such mangled names. There seems to be no setting to change this, sorry. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

You could extract the Hostname out of this "comment bla bla (hostname)" as an option. I also don't like the XP-way.....
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:There seems to be no setting to change this, sorry. :(
Well, is not easy to code TC so that when it triggers the existence of a computer description it will be automatically ignored from the edit path field? After all when we click that bit to modify the path we king of working in the text level. Why does it have to be a setting?

I presume it's easy to do that since we only need the bit included within the parenthesis including of course the slashes and the "*.*" part.

Just a thought!
Last edited by pdavit on 2003-07-05, 11:52 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
dragoon

Post by *dragoon »

hello there. same problem exists when browsing a samba server with server's description field filled
denishowe

Post by *denishowe »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's indeed a "feature" of XP to return such mangled names. There seems to be no setting to change this, sorry. :(
The behaviour is not consistent. For example, changing to a subdirectory and back to the server root restores the proper \\server\*.* heading. (I don't get this problem in the Explorer address bar either).

This is an irritating bug as I use lots of different servers.

TC6.02 on XP Pro SP1
denishowe

Post by *denishowe »

I would dearly love to see a fix for this.

The annoying description disappears when you browse to a shared directory on the server and it doesn't reappear when you come back up to the server level. This suggests that there should be a way to avoid it appearing in the first place. Of course there might not be any visible shares on the server on which to use this work-around.

What is the code calling that is returning the description?