[TC 6.01]Access Violation - filesnames?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Graham

[TC 6.01]Access Violation - filesnames?

Post by *Graham »

After searching I did find some good topics about this access violation but they all had different codes and the error where mostly because of the new folder tab feature. Mine I think isn't.

I also already mailed Ghisler support@ghisler.com about this but wanted to post it too.....

After working with 6.01 for several months I got this weird error :

Image: http://www.tweakers.net/ext/f/22249/full.jpg

It seems to happen mostly with files names that are pretty long....

For instance it always happens with this file name:

Adobe.Fonts-.1010.font.types.[found.via.www.fileDonkey.com].zip

Which is 64 letters long, also see the

Image: http://www.tweakers.net/ext/f/22251/full.jpg

I do not use any plugins and it doesn't just happen to archives. I do know that it use to work before some maybe it something in my settings?

----

I also seem to have this weird 'bug':
Image: http://www.tweakers.net/ext/f/22252/full.jpg

This file name is 57 letters long, the name should be:

Annie Lennox - Here Comes The Rain Again (Unplugged).mp3 but it seems to get cut off....dunno if this is normal but it's just a side question.
Clo

Prohibited characters?

Post by *Clo »

2Graham
:D  Hello!

• Welcome on board!

• But my mistake, I guess that round and square brackets are not very normal in files names. That could cause the problem, following the handling you where doing... Maybe the lenght of names isn't the one cause...

• The error you got is different than the errors caused by the tabs - on which the Author is working to fix it I guess -.

• Just a test: please, could you try to rename one or two "faulty" file(s)?
Glad to hear about this,
:mrgreen:   Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Graham

Re: Prohibited characters?

Post by *Graham »

Clo wrote:2Graham
:D  Hello!

• Welcome on board!

• But my mistake, I guess that round and square brackets are not very normal in files names. That could cause the problem, following the handling you where doing... Maybe the lenght of names isn't the one cause...

• The error you got is different than the errors caused by the tabs - on which the Author is working to fix it I guess -.

• Just a test: please, could you try to rename one or two "faulty" file(s)?
Glad to hear about this,
:mrgreen:   Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Thx for the hello, Clo

Indeed renaming the files with () into something without them works..... (should have figured that out myself) ;)

But I just know it worked before without any change....

About the tabs, I read something about him investigating.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Graham

Maybe you could tell us about the full path length. You can use my "Long Paths" plugin for this if you want. It can be found on my homepage.
Graham

Post by *Graham »

Lefteous wrote:2Graham

Maybe you could tell us about the full path length. You can use my "Long Paths" plugin for this if you want. It can be found on my homepage.
Doens't do the trick either....

What do you mean by full path length? Do you mean the tree?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Graham

A full path name is for example:

"C:\Documents and Settings\graham\My Documents\My Music\Annie Lennox - Here Comes The Rain Again (Unplugged).mp3

In this case the full pathname is 113.

My plugin shows the full pathname of a file (or a directory) instead of the file size.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Graham,
I just pressed Shift-F4, pasted the filename you said you had problems with, pressed Enter, closed Notepad, tried Full view, switched back to Brief view and everything seems fine.
W2K, TC 6.01.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Graham

Post by *Graham »

Hacker wrote:Graham,
I just pressed Shift-F4, pasted the filename you said you had problems with, pressed Enter, closed Notepad, tried Full view, switched back to Brief view and everything seems fine.
W2K, TC 6.01.

HTH
Roman
Tried the same but didn't help. I always have Full view.

Maybe it something with my settings?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hmm, what happens if you add dirbrackets=0 to the Configuration section of your wincmd.ini?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Graham

Post by *Graham »

Hacker wrote:Hmm, what happens if you add dirbrackets=0 to the Configuration section of your wincmd.ini?

Roman
Only removes the brackets...but doesn't do anything for my filenames.

Which of the File Display option do you set marked in Configuration > Display > Layout?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

BTW: What did you actually exactly do when you got the error?
Which of the File Display option do you set marked in Configuration > Display > Layout?
The first three are checked.

Roman
Graham

Post by *Graham »

Hacker wrote:BTW: What did you actually exactly do when you got the error?
I pressed No. Or do you mean what I was doing at the time? Well I justed entered a directory.

It accures with some directories.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Only with directories containing such special file names? Or do the directories have such names themselves? What filesystem are you using? Under what OS? Is this a local disk?

Roman
Graham

Post by *Graham »

Hacker wrote:Only with directories containing such special file names? Or do the directories have such names themselves? What filesystem are you using? Under what OS? Is this a local disk?

Roman
Directories mostly have short lowercase names. It does accure that a file is rarred and has a special name and thus by extration the directory gets this name. I'll give some examples below...

Main filesystem on my XP PC is NTFS, 1 HDD partitioned into C: (being 20 GB) and D: (being 60 GB).

Server filesystem, a linux server with Ext2 and accessable via Samba. (one Partition of 60 GB)

Examples of directories where these errors accure....

This one is on my PC:
Image: http://www.tweakers.net/ext/f/22358/full.jpg

This one is on my Server:
Image: http://www.tweakers.net/ext/f/22359/full.jpg

Both are viewed with the normal file Explorer in XP, which doesn't give any errors at all!

I also wanted to know if there are any things saved into the registry that could cause this? Cause after a reinstall (uninstall first) I still get this error with filenames. Which I did not have before!!! and I also didn't have the problem with Access Violation.

I did have a crash a could of days ago because a conflict with my SB. But then this error should only accure on my PC and not on my Server too...

I conclude that it must be something with TC....Maybe a uninstall and then a big sweep of my registry for any leftovers might help?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hmm, I am afraid Christian will have to take a look at this...

Roman