Problems with delete during packing on network drives

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

frenky

Problems with delete during packing on network drives

Post by *frenky »

Hi *,
when packing in zip and using "Move to archive" and "Create separate archives, one per selected file/dir", delete of archived folder sometimes fails, even though it is not locked by any other process.

The problem with this is that packing is halted with error dialog open:
"Could not delete one or more of the files - they might be write protected!"
This dialog does not describe correctly what has happened. All files are deleted, but some of the subfolders are not deleted.

Ghisler, can you consider listing this as warnings rather than error as thy are not critical errors? Maybe not brake operation?

I've raised this question also for other operations in TC, like copy, delete, etc. with long queue and missing source files.
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=8157&highlight=

Can you please consider adding some list for errors instead ask for user input on all warnings/errors.
Something like error list from WinRar during unpacking??

This is real nag because sometimes I have queue with copy from several network drives to single destination and quite frequently archiving of massive amount of folders overnight (usually big logs form timestamped folders e.g. 2005-09-26-11-07-11). After successful packing, I do not need those files/folders... So "move to archive/create one zip per folder" is great option, but delete is a problem.

Network is Samba 2.2.12 on several Solaris 9 machines.

Regards,
FrenKy
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, it should be possible to continue packing in this case. An error list would be nice, I'm already using this for ftp, but I don't currently see how I could implement it in the current functions, they are not suited for it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
frenky

Post by *frenky »

Yes, it should be possible to continue packing in this case.
Great! Hope to see this in next release!
An error list would be nice, I'm already using this for ftp, but I don't currently see how I could implement it in the current functions, they are not suited for it.
I realy hope you can manage somehow to implement this. I assume that many users would like to see this (correct me if I'm wrong).
Maybe add this to a wishlist for upcomming release of v7?

In any case, thanks for reply.

FrenKy[/code]