Odd window behavior.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

inaminit

Odd window behavior.

Post by *inaminit »

I just reinstalled TC on a new system I built last week, and it ran fine for about a day. Suddenly every time I started it up the program window would be all scrunched up. I would resize it, hit save settings/configuration, but when I quit the program and then restarted it the window would be scrunched up again. I tried uninstalling and deleting all TC related files in the Windows directory, but on reinstall the odd behavior returned. I'm running WinXP with SP2. Any help with this would be much appreciated.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Do you have write access in the wincmd.ini directory?
If not, install TC per user so the wincmd.ini is created in your profiles dir.

It makes no sense to "reinstall" TC and delete TC related files when you have problems. All core settings are stored in the wincmd.ini so you only have to start TC with a fresh wincmd.ini for testing:
totalcmd.exe /i=X:\location\of\wincmd.ini

Icfu
This account is for sale
inaminit

Post by *inaminit »

Yea, I tried that, just getting rid of the wincmd.ini file. Didn't help, but I'll try moving it to my profile directory.

Tried your suggestions, but TC keeps coming up about 480 x 480 window. I moved the wincmd.ini file location to my profiles directory, but it didn't matter.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Did you tell TC where your new wincmd.ini is?

As icfu proposed, you may tell it by commandline parameter. Or you can change it with Inireloc which changes the ini file location in the registry key.

You can see which ini-files are used by opening [Alt]+[H]elp then [A]bout.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
inaminit

Post by *inaminit »

Well, I know it's a real bulldozer method, and not the prefered way, but I did a complete uninstall, just on the chance that the .exe had been damaged somehow. Upon reinstallation I told the installer to use my profile directory. Still getting the same tiny window. Something else in the reg maybe? I'll have to wait to find out now, my boys are on a Half Life binge so I'm on my Mac right now. Thanks for your help so far though.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

inaminit wrote: just on the chance that the .exe had been damaged somehow.
If that happens TC is closing itself because it makes frequently a CRC-check to prove the exe is not modified. It's kind of crack protection.
Something else in the reg maybe?
Nope. TC puts in the registry only the installation folder, the path to the wincmd.ini and the path to wcx_ftp.ini (the FTP-Ini file). That is saved under
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ghisler or/and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ghisler\.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

inaminit, you should check what other programs are running in the background, maybe some kind of "remember last window size"-app, a feature of your graphics driver or whatever...

Icfu
This account is for sale
inaminit

Post by *inaminit »

icfu and Sheepdog, I want to thank you guys for your help. Problem solved, it was the Hydravision Desktop Manager that came with the Catalyst 5.7 drivers I installed the other day.

Thanks again for your help!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

A user who had the same problem has reported that the problem went away after installing a newer version of Hydravision: Hydravision-3-25-0006. Maybe this helps in your case too.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
inaminit

Post by *inaminit »

You're right ghisler, TC seems to work just fine with this version of Hydravision.