ZIP with password/Unzip Encrypted files, how ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AS

ZIP with password/Unzip Encrypted files, how ?

Post by *AS »

How can I ZIP files protecting them with password and go inside an encrypted file ? NOTE: I use long file names, so can not use pkzip/pkunzip. The old Windows Commander allowed to encrypt files with password.
Thanks for your answer
By(t)e
:?:
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

TC's internal zip packer can create password protected zip archives with long file names (configurations->option->zip packer->use 8.3 short filenames->unchecked) perfectly. Have a look at the option "Encrypt (Zip only)" in "pack files" dialog. You can go inside created archive by moving cursor over it and pressing <enter> on your keyboard.
Just try to use internal zip packer.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
shammat

Re: ZIP with password/Unzip Encrypted files, how ?

Post by *shammat »

AS wrote:NOTE: I use long file names, so can not use pkzip/pkunzip. The old Windows Commander allowed to encrypt files with password.
You could use InfoZip. It's free and can handle long filenames without problems:

http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/

Thomas
Leif

Post by *Leif »

AS wrote:How can I ZIP files protecting them with password and go inside an encrypted file ? NOTE: I use long file names, so can not use pkzip/pkunzip. The old Windows Commander allowed to encrypt files with password.
So does the new Total Commander. But you need to replace the packer dll wcmzip32.dll with a version that supports password encryption.
Last edited by Leif on 2005-02-01, 11:00 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Leif wrote:
AS wrote:How can I ZIP files protecting them with password and go inside an encrypted file ? NOTE: I use long file names, so can not use pkzip/pkunzip. The old Windows Commander allowed to encrypt files with password.
So does the new Total Commander. But you need to replace the packer dll wcmzip32.dll with a version that supports password encryption.
You can find it here:
http://w1.901.telia.com/~u90120786/wcmzip32crypto.zip
How strange. I have the standard installation with the DLL that comes packaged up in the installer with the data as follows:

; Generated by WIN-SFV32 v1.0
; (Compatible: Total Commander 5.51)
WCMZIP32.DLL 652BFD6A

filesize of 49,152 bytes and dated 18/02/03 and the ZIP encrytion/decryption functionality has always worked just fine.

Maybe it is a different package depending on what mirror you download from?
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

With the original WCMZIP32.DLL of 49.152 bytes, you can only encrypt/decrypt ZIP archives using an external program that you have added in the ZIP configuration menu. TC does show a password box but uses the external program in the background.

The WCMZIP32.DLL of 32.7678 bytes adds an encypt option in the packing dialog box and can decrypt Zips without the need of an external program.
...BRB...
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 10-05-2003 12:52:31 +0000 MaxWish wrote:

M> With the original WCMZIP32.DLL of 49.152 bytes, you can only
M> encrypt/decrypt ZIP archives using an external program that
M> you have added in the ZIP configuration menu.

Yep, look here.[/face]
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Maxwish wrote:With the original WCMZIP32.DLL of 49.152 bytes, you can only encrypt/decrypt ZIP archives using an external program that you have added in the ZIP configuration menu. TC does show a password box but uses the external program in the background.

The WCMZIP32.DLL of 32.7678 bytes adds an encypt option in the packing dialog box and can decrypt Zips without the need of an external program.
Nope, sorry but that's not the case here. I have no external ZIP packers installed on the computer at all - much less configured in TC. I have the original DLL and I get the 'Encrypt (ZIP only)' as the very bottom check box option in the packer dialog when pressing ALT-F5 or in my case CTRL-ALT-F5.

It even works too. I have no reason to use it myself (I use WinRAR called from within TC), but I have had to decrypt some D/L'd password protected ZIP archives before - and it handled those seemlessly no problem.
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

Did you download TC from an official download site (as mentioned on the TC homepage www.ghisler.com) ?

I know of a cracked version that inserts the encrypt/decrypt routine inside the TC executable. You might have downloaded that by mistake.

The official version should be:

Code: Select all

; Generated by WIN-SFV32 v1.0
; (Compatible: Total Commander 5.51)
TOTALCMD.EXE E14AF9CF
...BRB...
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 12-05-2003 05:16:17 +0000 DRP535 wrote:

D> Nope, sorry but that's not the case here.

It looks like you produce some kind of probabilistic fluctuation around you... Did you ever noticed something like this? ;)

D> I have no external ZIP packers installed on the computer at all
D> - much less configured in TC. I have the original DLL and I get
D> the 'Encrypt (ZIP only)' as the very bottom check box option in
D> the packer dialog when pressing ALT-F5

There are only two possibilities to see this check box ever.
Thirst - you used encryption supporting DLL, but didn't knew about that. Second - you used patched version of TOTALCMD.EXE (WINCMD32.EXE) (with appropriate skills one can turn on this functionality inside Commander executable w/o external files).

D> or in my case CTRL-ALT-F5.

Actually, it doesn't matter. Even if you redefine internal command #508 shortcut to "Ctrl"+"Alt"+"F5", original shortcut still works.[/face]
AS

Post by *AS »

:) Thanks to you all for your help, I have downloaded the DLL and now
I can ZIP/unZIP files scrambled with password using the internal t.c. ZIP/UNZIP, as in the old Windows commander.

The DLL that supports ZIP encryption (that comes from the old Windows Commander I believe) has an entry point named: _GetKeys@12
that is no more present in the new DLL.
ykhabins

Post by *ykhabins »

I have TC v.6.03a, the latest.
It looks like it is impossible to unzip password protected *.zip files using built-in TC's facilities.

Regards,
Yitzhak
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ykhabins wrote:It looks like it is impossible to unzip password protected *.zip files using built-in TC's facilities.
This is due to Swiss law restrictions. Try this: http://clubtotal.free.fr/index.php?dir=Tools/&file=tcArchive_ZIP.Crypto.DLL.zip
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Clo

With all ?

Post by *Clo »

2pdavit
:) Hello Panos !
• I use (rarely) that same library for ZIPs with passwords.
* Only with ZIPs created in TC, of course.
* Do you know whether that works for ZIPs created by all other third-party packers ?
* To make / open SFX archives with passwords needs to use the Fabiochelly's SFX-header file

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials