In-line rename enhancement

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

In-line rename enhancement

Post by *wanderer »

This is a topic that has been discussed a lot from what i've seen in the forum. I'd like to add a wish. I'm not sure it has not been asked before but a quick search did not help so i'm posting it: when in in-line rename mode, right-clicking outside the rename-box should act as if ENTER has pressed (save the new name). It would help very much if the mouse is used to activate in-line rename and do a simple edit (like adding one character).
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
mnerec

Post by *mnerec »

I'm not sure I would agree, as it would change existing behaviour. As it is people are used to a rename being cancelled by right clicking another file. If this changes, they would wonder why it wasn't.

One thing I would be about inline renaming, is for it not to cancel when another operation finishes. Say you start unpacking a rar file or copy a something in the background and then use inline renaming. As soon as the other dialog closes, the lister is refreshed and your rename is cancelled. Annoying.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

mnerec wrote:I'm not sure I would agree, as it would change existing behaviour. As it is people are used to a rename being cancelled by right clicking another file. If this changes, they would wonder why it wasn't.
The in-line renaming is canceled if you left-click somewhere outside the rename area. That's why i suggested right-clicking. Currently, when right-clicking, the default popup-menu appears.
mnerec wrote:One thing I would be about inline renaming, is for it not to cancel when another operation finishes. Say you start unpacking a rar file or copy a something in the background and then use inline renaming. As soon as the other dialog closes, the lister is refreshed and your rename is cancelled. Annoying.
I know. Many people find this annoying. There are some things that can be done for this though. There is a way to stop the panels from automatically refreshing ("Noreread" ini option).

Wow, i just noticed: in TC7betas, there is a new "Refresh" option in the Configuration! No more direct-ini-editing...

Edit: I think your wish has been granted! :) Check the "Refresh" option out.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
mnerec

Post by *mnerec »

wanderer wrote:Wow, i just noticed: in TC7betas, there is a new "Refresh" option in the Configuration! No more direct-ini-editing...

Edit: I think your wish has been granted! :) Check the "Refresh" option out.
Golly! It looks like you're right! Thank you wanderer, and thank you Ghisler :D

There seem to be a tiny bug in it though:
* If you have files A, B & C and make TC move file A in the background while you inline rename B,
* then when moving A is finished, B & C are moved one line up visually, except that the inline rename of B is visually in the same place as before.
* That means line 1 shows B and line 2 shows the inline rename of B.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

mnerec wrote:Golly! It looks like you're right! Thank you wanderer, and thank you Ghisler :D
You're welcome. The "thanks" of course go to Christian. :)
mnerec wrote:There seem to be a tiny bug in it though:
Interesting. I'll try to reproduce it. I suggest you report this as a bug though in the TC7 Bugs forum.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
mnerec

Post by *mnerec »

wanderer wrote:I suggest you report this as a bug though in the TC7 Bugs forum.
Done.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

wanderer wrote:
mnerec wrote:There seem to be a tiny bug in it though:
Interesting. I'll try to reproduce it. I suggest you report this as a bug though in the TC7 Bugs forum.
Well, this does not occur in TC7pb3. Have you seen this in TC6.56?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: In-line rename enhancement

Post by *wanderer »

wanderer wrote:when in in-line rename mode, right-clicking outside the rename-box should act as if ENTER has pressed (save the new name).
Any chance on that? It's very useful, especially if you have a few files to rename (minor changes) and use both keyboard and mouse. After all, seeing the context menu of the file while in rename mode doesn't seem very useful.

Thanx.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

I'm not against such feature, but please only as an option, because I personally prefer that only pressing ENTER executes the renaming. Any other action should cancel it.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Agree to StickyNomad: only optional please.
Accidentally typed text could otherwise get applied too easy without noticing it.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2StatusQuo
Accidentally typed text could otherwise get applied too easy without noticing it.
Direct hit! That's exactly my point :)
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

StickyNomad wrote:but please only as an option
That is acceptable since it would be better than what we have now (which is nothing! :) )
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯