[BUG] pb4 Directory-History (Alt-Down) pops up randomly

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Cree

[BUG] pb4 Directory-History (Alt-Down) pops up randomly

Post by *Cree »

In new TC7pb4 the Directory-History (Shortcut ALT-DOWN) pops up randomly on the lower right corner of the screen.

I have tested it on 2 machines. It appears under Win 2000 SP4 and Win XP SP2. If the main focus is on another application windows (TC is in background) sometimes the Directory-History pops up in the foreground.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I cannot reproduce this error here. Anyone else?

2Cree
Do you get the same problem with other betas, or TC 6.56?

Please don't just say "it didn't happen in the past", because then it could be caused also by a recently installed program. Just TRY it with TC6.56 now, please.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

This problem is reported on one of the forums as caused by one of the TC cracks.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
D1P

Post by *D1P »

I cannot reproduce this error here. Anyone else?
The similar mistake has appeared once on pb4 (running on XP SP2). When I have some files selected, and press the keyboard menu button, the context menu was shown randomly on the screen. I has to maximize and restore TC window, and after that i can't reproduce such behaviour any more.

Of course, i'm legal TC user.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I have some files selected, and press the keyboard menu button, the context menu was shown randomly on the screen
This happens when the menu is very long, and cannot be shown at the current cursor position by Windows, neither upwards nor downwards. Strangely, Windows then shows the menu at some arbitrary location instead of moving it correctly into view.
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Flint wrote:This problem is reported on one of the forums as caused by one of the TC cracks.
A forum in here? If so, then link?

Or do you mean some warez forum somewhere?

I have noticed the bug as well in W2K SP4 when cracked (most obviously immediately after starting TC7pb4 for the very first time). I am testing it now both cracked and registered to see if I can narrow down the cause. The bug is brand new in pb4. It did not exist in any earlier version either cracked or registered.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

DRP535 wrote:A forum in here?
No. One of the Russian forums.

PS: BTW, discussion of cracks is out of law on this board, so I'm not sure if the further talking about this issue violates this law or not... :roll:
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

We are not discussing a crack. We are discussing a potential bug in the program which may or may not be caused by the use of a crack. Whether it is or not is yet to be determined. There is currently evidence both ways. If it is determined to be caused by a crack then this discussion can be considered dead. My evidence so far running pb4 both cracked & registered on different computers seems to suggest the bug is not caused by the crack, but more testing is needed to be sure at this stage.
Vladimyr1

Post by *Vladimyr1 »

I can confirm this issue.
It appears on the unregistered (and uncracked ;) ) TC version 7 pb4 and hasn't been appear on any previous version.
Symptoms ain't specific: it seems the history list is popping up randomly, while i'm shinning through directories with keyboard arrows or the mouse.
Most frequently it happens in the first couple of minutes after TC startup, and pretty rarely later.

WinXP SP2
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Thanks for that. That is one way to run the program I didn't test. I should have though. I never considered running it as shareware.

My testing revealed that the bug does not occur when legitimately registered. It does however when cracked. And I concur with your assessment of it happening most often and frequently after initial startup but increasingly less so the longer TC is left running thereafter.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I still can't reproduce this problem. What exactly did you do just before the directory hotlist showed up?
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

As far as I can tell it is completely random. I was unable to narrow it down to any reproducible event causing it at all. It would happen when I was using TC and when I wasn't using TC. Completely random. It got pretty annoying though so I've gone back to pb3 instead to avoid it.
ThurahT

Post by *ThurahT »

The history list dropped down for me on three or four occasions (made a thread about it, sorry for the dupe) and I dont remember really if I had the key in tcmd or not when it happend. Since I did I clean install I may not had the key in Tcmd dir at first... IF this makes any differences...?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have now used Total Commander unregistered for a while, but never had this problem.

If you get it again, please try to remember what you did in TC directly BEFORE you got it:
- did you click with the mouse anywhere, or used the keyboard?
- did you just perform some file operation?
- did you switch from another program to TC?

Any hint will help!