Weird history list showing..

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ThurahT

Weird history list showing..

Post by *ThurahT »

Hi.. I couldn't stand waiting anymore for final so I dled and tested 7b4.. And when finished configuring it (removed awfull icons everywhere.. : ) I began using it.. And I dont know.. I may have tampered with smthng in the process but once in a while I get this weird little history list showing up.. You can see it in the bottom right on this image [img=http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2862/tcmdbugyz5.th.png].

I did not ALT+downarrow when this occured. I was on my way to Totalcmds folder.. When I navigate thrue dir its in great speed.. And it's only then this happen..SO I thought it had to be me, right? But it never happend with Tcmd 6.56.. Never ever. So I figure this must be a bug of some sort.. I am on XP SP1.

Edit: Ahhgeezes.. Cant even make thubnails..
Edit: Argh... thuMbnails!
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

ThurahT

Post by *ThurahT »

Haha.. I got to learn how to search properly..
Hmm.. Intresting.. Crack ye say? Harr.. ye I'm the pirate swede haunting these waters.. harr..

No seriously I'm not using crack.. D1P suggests to maximize window and that it disappered after that.. But he was IN a meny.. I'll investigate some.. I want Totalcmd windowed as in image..
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ThurahT
And when finished configuring it (removed awfull icons everywhere.. : )
Why didn't you just reuse your old wincmd.ini file?
Edit: Ahhgeezes.. Cant even make thubnails..
Edit: Argh... thuMbnails!
What do you mean? - Tumbnails works just as always!

To your problem - from the forum it seems that others have the problem - without using a cracked version. I can't reproduce it myself though. But do you have SaveHistory=1 in your wincmd.ini?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ThurahT

Post by *ThurahT »

Oh.. Sorry.. I was abit unclear.. I meant the icons in the menus.. : ) Those new ones.. I did reuse my old wincmd ofcourse.. Had to update it with the fancy 7.0 tho.. And I meant the thumbnail in my post.. : ) Not the ones in totalcmd.. I failed making one.. Chose the wrong link to the image.. : /

Yes I have SaveHistory on.. I thought it could be a cool feature.. To test.. Is that whats making the list appear? Now it hasnt for a great while tho.. It was before.. 3 times in a row I think. Anyways.. I'll turn the history off and see if it appears again..
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Is that whats making the list appear
I don't know, but we have to start somewhere in order to find the reason for the bug - and since SaveHistory is new in TC7 and since the bug concerns the history list - then there might be a connection.

So if you could set SaveHistory=0 for a while (and manually delete [RightHistory] and [LeftHistory]) and then work with that for a while to see if the bug dissapears. If it does, then turn SaveHistory on and see if the bug reappears, then that might give a clue to solve the problem.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ThurahT

Post by *ThurahT »

Hi.. I've been doing the follwing: Clean install of Tcmd, Removed all plugins, removed history saving in Tcmd and then copied my ini:s in (with history saving off : ) then started using Tcmd as usual and I noticed no history glitches at all..

So I started enabling the plugins I use one at the time and finally had all running as usual. Then I turned history on again and by now I still haven't had any glitches...?? So one could say I failed tracking it down.. : / wich puzzles me some.. Especially since this has turned out to be drug-realted.. (crack).. : ) I'll keep watching for it tho..
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

I normally run TC cracked and have noticed this bug as well. I am a registered user though, so I have it registered too. I just choose to run it cracked because it runs faster and normally more reliably cracked in my experience.

I have switched off SaveHistory and wiped the right and left history records in wincmd.ini as suggested and will test it in operation both cracked and registered to see if I can narrow it down to a genuine bug or simply as a side effect of being cracked.
ThurahT

Post by *ThurahT »

DRP535 wrote: I just choose to run it cracked because it runs faster and normally more reliably cracked in my experience.
That is REALLY akward.. Why would a cracked version run faster than a legimit version?? Do you have any more concrete evidence to this other than your experience...? Or some examples you can remember...? Not that I in that case would try using a cracked version. The topic makes me abit uncomfy since I belive in supporing authors for good programs.. This does not apply to you tho as you are registered.. : )

I would never have a bad feeling bout window$ tho.. Since that os is crap anyways and Tcmd and FB2K is the reason I stick with it. Now I got all OT but I just literally hate MS..
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

I have no hard evidence to support my claim that the program runs faster or more reliably cracked than registered. None whatsoever. The claim is made solely on my own observations only and I don't want to try and prove that I'm right about this either. At startup TC checks both the keyfile for validity and also does a CRC check of the executable for any modifications. It may check other things as well... I really don't know. Furthermore it continues to check the executable CRC while running at varies intervals which may or may not not be random time-based or based on operation and/or function. Again I don't know.

In any case on my computer (which I admit is not the latest and greatest bleeding edge weapon speed-wise) all these checks for valid registration cause the program to pause noticeably. It's annoying and gives me the shits. If I run it registered, it will pause and seem for a moment to hang at least once every half an hour. Sometimes more than that if I'm doing a lot with it moving files around between drives a lot etc. I've even once experienced a false positive for an invalid exectuable CRC check failure during a very busy HDD read/write process. When cracked it never pauses, never crashes, never gives a warning about an invalid executable.
ThurahT

Post by *ThurahT »

Hm.. now that is very intresting.. : ) To say the least..
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

ThurahT wrote:Why would a cracked version run faster than a legimit version?
When you turn off the CRC-capability in any program, it will run faster.

The bad thing is: Downloaded cracked programs contains often troyans, viruses, rootkits and so on.
These malicious code use to hide somewhere, unused clusters, bootsectors and unfortunately: inside a cracked program.
DRP535 wrote:I've even once experienced a false positive for an invalid exectuable CRC check failure during a very busy HDD read/write process.
How can you be sure it was a false positive? Please don`t tell me you have checked the checksums with your cracked program.
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Because I was running the program in registered state (un-cracked) and there's nothing wrong with the version I have installed. Despite what the panic merchants try to convince everyone in order to boost their sales of anti-virus/spyware software, it's actually not that easy to get malicious software that does any real harm when you use a computer with just an ounce of common sense.
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

I don't see any contradictions to what I say:
Running a uncracked TC on your machine will show failure errors in your checksums.
Look at the bright side: It runs faster now. :)
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Well testing is now completed with the program run both cracked & registered and I have to say the weird history display behaviour is most likely the result of the use of the crack. I could never once get it to display while the program was properly registered.

That said though, after using TC registered for 3 full days, the constant stalling and delays all the time sh** me so much that even with this minor bug, it's still less annoying to run the program cracked than it is registered.

Clearing the directory history and turning off saving directories doesn't stop it either. It just reduces it to an almost unoticeable one line history instead. On the plus side, after it's been displayed once, it generally doesn't happen again in the current session with save directory history off.