Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

dsDIR saves a list of all files in a directory (not include subdir, just 4K!).
Make a button for it, drag and drop any folder to this button, you will get a filelist file in that folder.
ftp://mgppublic:public@mgpsoft.com/FileClipper.exe
This my tool (it's even too big word for this program :)) is very small but i cannot imagine my life without it. This program allows to paste to any text editor filenames of files copied to clipboard from explorer (actually from anywhere).
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

ftp://mgppublic:public@mgpsoft.com/FileClipper.exe

This link is dead and I do not find this on google. Do you have a new URL for it?

Thanks!
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2jdmarch
I removed this program because i intend soon release my new program - "Network clipboard" which includes FileCliper functionality. If you interested to get beta version write me on support(at)mgpsoft(dot)com.
TClover

Post by *TClover »

To ghisler:
I know it's not a conventional method but you could take a picture (with digital camera you wont have to waste film and time) of the exact moment of the blue screen of death (its not easy but its possible)
just another TC fan
Jancio

Re: Useful 3rd party tools to compliment TC

Post by *Jancio »

TucknDar wrote:The title is pretty selfexplaining. I thought it might be useful with a thread where we list, explain and link to tools (preferably FREE) that make the filemanaging/TC-experience even more enjoyable.

I use a small utility called Wizmo http://grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm. It is very small in size, but has a lot of nice features. I started using it mainly for the abilitiy to eject the cd-drive (or any other drive), but it has loads more options.
Hello everyone!

Try SlimBrowser - not so popular as Opera or myIE, but definitely worth trying.
(myIE actually sux :evil: , because although they release new version almost every two weeks, it isn't stable)

And of course IrfanView :!: !
Jancio
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

myIE actually sux
It's very persuasive.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Well I tried Slim Browser... lots of nice options and the version I downloaded is free. It zooms in and out like Opera does, too.

However...

It cannot show the search engines in its sidebar. I thought that was de rigeur these days... and it's an absolute necessity for me.

Too bad.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
jdmarch

Beyond Compare, 4NT, and Take Command 32

Post by *jdmarch »

In addition to TotCmd, the two indispensable utilities for me are:

1. Beyond Compare from http://www.scootersoftware.com/ . This is an amazing program which goes far beyond TotCmd's file and folder comparison features. Fast, powerful, easy to use, and inexpensive. In folder comparison mode, you can focus on only the files of interest by filtering the compared folders (or FTP sites) in every imaginable way (including filenames, dates, sizes, attributes, files matched or not matched, etc...). Text file comparison mode lets you manually synchronize lines when desired, specify what differences are significant or not, view only differences in context, copy lines between the compared files. With the paid version, you can compare database files in CSV format, matching and ignoring arbitrary columns (though the setup interface for this feature is still immature.)

2. The classic and brilliant command-line tools 4NT and Take Command 32 from http://www.jpsoft.com/ . For more years than I can remember, I've depended on their powerful internal commands, aliases, batch file functions and variables, and automatic command-line recall, editing, and file completion features. The power of their batch files are to Microsoft's as the Himalayas are to a pebble.

Since discovering TotCmd several years ago, I find that I use Beyond Compare, 4NT, and TakeCommand32 less than before, but they are still indispensable for complex file management tasks. They can all be downloaded for free trials.
Last edited by jdmarch on 2003-10-25, 14:42 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
JP

Post by *JP »

You should try Firebird (version 0.7). It's based on Mozilla. It's really nice and great and FREE. Take a look: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird
jdmarch

Ecco32 outliner, Winkey for shortcuts, PIE JPEG viewer

Post by *jdmarch »

Also:

3. This is somewhat off-topic, but I have to mention Ecco32, the best Windows outlining program (and much more). It has been off the market for five years and is not supported, but I still use it constantly because I have never found anything (since DOS years) which is remotely as useful for to-do lists, misc notes, etc. It is utterly configurable (multiple views, optional attributes visible in columns or hidden: text, checkbox, drop-down-list, dates). It is discussed at http://www.eccorocks.com/ and can be downloaded for free from ftp://ftp.netmanage.com/support/pub/utilities/EC401/Ecco32/

4. Winkey from http://download.com.com/3000-2344-913626.html is free, tiny, and provides great configurable shortcuts if you have a Windows key on your keyboard.

5. PC Magazine has hundreds of tiny utilities, of which I use a dozen or so. They are no longer free, but for about $20 one has access to all of them for a year at http://www.extremetech.com/category2/0,3971,5099,00.asp

6. I mentioned this in another thread, but by far the fastest JPEG viewer which I have found is PIE (Picture Information Extractor) from http://www.picmeta.com/ . I especially like that one can page through dozens of full-screen images in seconds, because the keyboard is always responsive even in the middle of a re-display. I use TotCmd / IrfanView for viewing a few photos, but if I want to browse a whole photo directory, I switch to PIE. (It also offers automatic file renaming based on EXIF dates, times and other fields, also rotation but no tweaking.)

7. For the record, my text editor is Multi-Edit 9 and my keyboard macro program is AimKeys 3. They are both good programs, but no better, I think, than many alternatives.
Last edited by jdmarch on 2003-10-25, 14:43 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2JP

I really disliked the Mozilla-based tools have I tried. On the one hand, not enough features, on the other-hand evidence of an intent to be different just for the sake of it, which helps no one unless there is a distinct improvement in speed or efficiency... neither of which were in evidence (Mozilla is slower than IE, in my experience).
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2JDMarch

I agree that ECCO was a great tool and I still have a shortcut to it on my desktop, which I use when I need an outliner with a data grid...

Did you ever try GrandView? It is DOS-based, and the earlier versions (before the feature bloat) were far superior even to Ecco.

Not a lot of good outliners out there... the tree/document metaphor (KeyNote, Treepad, etc), while powerful and useful, is not exactly the same kind of thing.
JP

Post by *JP »

2JohnFredC,

My experience with FireBird is really good. The tabs are fantastic. And it's not poor. You need to download the extensions (more than 100). You choose the extensions you need and like and you download and install them. The zip file is just 6.0 Mb and the extensions are powerful and also small. Have you installed some of them?
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Hi JP...

It's been a few months since I deleted Firebird. Maybe I'll look at it again.
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

Yes, Grandview (DOS) was an even better outliner than Ecco (kudos to Dave Winer), but I eventually stopped using it because of the lack of Windows integration. I've still got it installed to access some old files which I never got around to converting.