[BUG] Unchecking "compatibility mode" and apply...

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

[BUG] Unchecking "compatibility mode" and apply...

Post by *icfu »

...deletes the editbox content.

Icfu
This account is for sale
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, icfu.
[BUG] Unchecking "compatibility mode" and apply ...... deletes the editbox content.
Confirmed. (T.C. 7.03 and T.C. 7.04a)

I am wondering if this behaviour has not been reported before, some time / a long time ago? It provokes a déjà-vu feeling ...

Sunny Sunday,
Karl
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

This is not a bug, it is intentional. Why?
Because TC uses the content of the editbox to determine the checkbox value. So when you uncheck the box, TC must clear the edit box, in the other hand if you checked the box while the editbox is empty, TC auto fill it with *
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The point is that there should either be a checkbox which works as expected – a switch which enables/disables compatibility mode – or there should be no checkbox at all.

If the only useful functionality of this checkbox is to autofill the editbox with a *, there should be no checkbox but a button labeled "Default". In this case the editbox would at least work as expected, like the one above in which you can enter drives which are located on the same hard disk. If no drives are added, the feature is not used, simple as that.

Anyway, I guess that a user is able to press * without being aided by the ever worried nanny called TC, he only has to read the description on the right.

Icfu
This account is for sale
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

This behavior is used in many places, what i remember right now:
Display> Limit width of brief view column to:
FTP> Create a log file:

If the only useful functionality of this checkbox is to autofill the editbox with a *, there should be no checkbox but a button labeled "Default".
Using checkbox is much easier to know if the option is enabled or disabled than just empty editbox
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

This behavior is used in many places, what i remember right now:
Display> Limit width of brief view column to:
FTP> Create a log file:
Not confirmed, on the contrary: When the checkbox in these places is removed, the editbox is locked and cannot be changed anymore, the content stays intact.
Using checkbox is much easier to know if the option is enabled or disabled than just empty editbox
Ok, let's plant every editbox in TC and TC config with checkboxes, let's start with the editbox for drives on the same hard disk. Why not remove the handcrafted string when the checkbox is removed? I am sure that many people will like to lose them by accident.

Well, the main problem is that the removed checkmark does NOT have an instantly visible effect. What TC does is only visible if you press Apply, and then it's too late. Also when pressing OK instead of Apply, the user will not notice anything until he reopens the dialog.

Icfu
This account is for sale
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

No need to remove your posting, petermad, it was a pleasure to read it!

Thanks and gn8! ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

the editbox is locked and cannot be changed anymore, the content stays intact.
Unfortunately not - they stay intact until you close the configuration dialog - once you open the configuration dialog again, the value of the editbox is restored to TC's default values.

Only some editboxes remembers the value when their corresponding checkboxes are cleared, for example: "Folder Tabs" -> "Limit tab title length to:" IMHO this is the way all pairs of checkbox/editbox'es should function.
Last edited by petermad on 2008-08-31, 22:03 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

No need to remove your posting, petermad, it was a pleasure to read it!
Unfortunately it wasn't quite correct - as you can se in my post here above.
Unfortunately not - they stay intact until you close the configuration dialog...
That's why I removed it.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

No problem, always nice to get aware of more bugs in TC. Editboxes which only pretend to keep content after pressing Apply are true masterpieces in the long history of enhanced TC usability.

Icfu
This account is for sale
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

There are a several other of those masterpieces:

1: Layout -> Show current directory -> Show buttons for history and hotlist.
2. FTP -> Auto-resume transfer if no data received for: -> s
3. FTP -> Compress during transfer (MODE Z) -> Not on LAN
4. FTP -> PORT mode: only use ports from limited range:
5. Log file -> When the log file becomes larger than -> kBytes
6. Log file -> Keep a maximum of -> log file copies
7. Zip packer -> Directory for temporary files (internal ZIP) -> other:

8: FTP: connection details -> Send command to keep connection alive: -> Command:
9: FTP: connection details -> Send command to keep connection alive: -> Send interval: every -> s

and the 3 already mentioned:

10. Display -> Limit with of brief view column to: -> Pixels
11. Copy/Delete -> Use compatibility mode for the following drives: -> Enter drive letters...
12. FTP -> Create a log file: -> >>

I promise to pursue these during the next beta test.

It is not because it is impossible for TC to keep the editbox/checkbox values - it works alright here:

1. Layout -> Show drive buttons -> Show two drive button bars... + Flat icons
2. Display -> Show filename in file list as tooltip if truncated -> 3 options
3. Icons -> Show icons for commands in main menu -> 2 options
4. Folder Tabs -> Limit tab title length to: -> characters (but here the editbox isn't disabled when the checkbox is!)
5. Thumbnails -> Show custom fields below thumbnails (e.g. image size) (but here the editbox isn't disabled when the checkbox is!)
6. Thumbnails -> Get from lister plugins for:
7. Thumbnails -> Use Explorer method (OLE2) for:
8. Thumbnails -> Get from Irfan/Xnview for
9. Thumbnails -> Plain Text file thumbnails for:
10. Log file -> Create a log file:
11. Misc. -> Only play for long operations: -> s

12. Configure Lister -> Use irfanview/Xnview to load graphics other than BMP -> Path: -> >>

So some consistency could be wished for.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed many options in TC are stored in a single ini file option to increase loading/saving speed. To store both the option and the edit box would need two ini file lines.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Clo

1 Kib ?

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)

:) Good evening,
To store both the option and the edit box would need two ini file lines.
• That would lead to add a dozen of lines, with the machines we use nowadays, it isn't a big deal,
and I confess I'm unable to see 1 or 2 ms more at loading…
- Here in example, my INI files (normal, redirected and F T P) are 22.4 KiB, so 1 KiB more is not a big deal, I guess.
- That could give a nice improvement in a future version…

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Indeed many options in TC are stored in a single ini file option to increase loading/saving speed.
You are fighting a war which CPU power has already won 10 years ago. I really love applications which try to save even the last bit of overhead, but not adding a dozen of INI lines because of performance is absurd.

Anyway:
To store both the option and the edit box would need two ini file lines.
You don't need two lines if you deactivate the stored value by prepending a unique char or unique char combination.

Icfu
This account is for sale
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Indeed many options in TC are stored in a single ini file option to increase loading/saving speed. To store both the option and the edit box would need two ini file lines.
At least one of the examples listed above already has two ini-lines:
1: Layout -> Show current directory -> Show buttons for history and hotlist: CurDir= / HistoryHotlistButtons=

Aside from that, it looks like all the one-line options I listed could just be assigned a minus in front of the value to indicate that the option is disabled - just as icfu suggests.
License #524 (1994)