FS-plugin: VirtualDisk

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

yes, I was very cautious when following the instructions (especially the 64 bit ones). I used explorer to run the install files, and not TC
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

didn't try yet, but I did upgrade to Windows 7 RC (build 7100). I'll update when I get a chance to try.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

eydaimon
I downloaded the 64-bit build 7100, installed it into a virtual machine and checked: the plugin works fine if I turn signature checking off as described above (by selecting the F8 option on boot-up stage).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

confirmed. Will I have to boot with F8 every time for it to work? That's annoying.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

eydaimon wrote:Will I have to boot with F8 every time for it to work?
According to my knowledge, unfortunately, yes — say thanks to M$.
There are some third-party tools that try to force Windows using this F8 option automatically each boot, but they are no guarantee and may stop working after another Windows patch released by MS.

I have also heard of the possibility to self-sign the driver with a test certificate and turn loading such drivers on (it's off by default), but I did not yet investigate the issue, sorry. I also thought of probable official signing the plugin's driver, but it turned out to be very expensive and unavailable to individual persons, only to juridical persons. :(
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

The plugin was updated to the version 1.31: now it supports DVD images in UDF format.
Download links:
http://totalcmd.net/download.php?id=virtdisk
http://flint-inc.ru/files/mlang/virtualdisk_1.31.rar

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

For Vista/7 users who need Joliet file system support, here is the fixed driver:
http://flint-inc.ru/files/mlang/virtualdisk_driver_1.3.2.rar
Just install it as usual.

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

VirtualDisk 1.3.3:
  1. Driver is now signed by the Christian Ghisler's digital signature, so that it can now work in Windows Vista/7 x64 without turning off the signature checks.
  2. Fixed security issue: Using the driver, users could access files which were otherwise inaccessible for them (fixed only for WinXP or newer!).
  3. Mounting of compressed and encrypted images is forbidden. Reason: a bug in Windows can lead to dead lock.
  4. Added Traditional Chinese interface translation (Sheree Chen).
  5. In the image properties dialog focus is set on the Mount/Unmount button by default.
  6. Implemented a new command-line tool vd_filedisk.exe for mounting and unmounting images independently from TC (available separately).
  7. Source codes for the driver and vd_filedisk.exe are published under GPL.
Plugin / mirror (121 Kb)
Tool / mirror (78 Kb, with sources)

damjang

Post by *damjang »

Flint wrote:VirtualDisk 1.3.3:
*Driver is now signed by the Christian Ghisler's digital signature, so that it can now work in Windows Vista/7 x64 without turning off the signature checks.
Thank you, I try and it work!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks, Flint, for the nice plugin!
Indeed I reviewed the sources and asked him to fix the security issue which allowed people to access other user's ISO files. As required for the signature, I have compiled the soruces myself after reviewing them, so you can be sure that the code doesn't contain any backdoors or malware. Although I wouldn't expect this from Flint, I'm not allowed to sign other people's binary code.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks, Flint, for the nice plugin!
You are welcome. :) I'm glad that you liked the plugin, and thank you very much for your help with the signature!

voter

Post by *voter »

Dosn't work.
It start the mounting but a small error window appears with message.

A: Access denied
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

voter wrote:Access denied
Possible reasons:
a) you don't have permissions to access the image file;
b) you're trying to mount an image which is compressed or encrypted using NTFS abilities (which is no longer supported);
c) another image is already mounted on your computer by another user (this problem will be fixed in version 2.0; currently you can use command-line tool vd_fildisk.exe to work around the issue).

mame

Setting to make MountAfterReboot optional

Post by *mame »

Hello Flint.

Thanks for the great plugin, used them excessively :)

Suggestion: Can you make an option to not re-mount the image after reboot

(i.e. make in the settings it optional to remount or not, the currently mounted image after reboot)
function: "VirtualDiskAutomount",MountAfterReboot

Scenario:
Installed vd_driver on several pcs (which I maintained). Those PCs don't have TC (only I have, single user lic.). When doing maintenance, say windows or driver update or installation, I mounted the ISO from my flashdrive. Usually after updating, we need to reboot (and I moved to next PC already). Now, it's a hassle if I forgot to unmount, or remove the entry from FS Panel (run TC portable from flashdrive too). Plus, I prefer programs not to put something on StartUp registry without confirmation.

My workaround all these time was to make a patch, disabling that function completely. :oops: Would be nice if you implement that option internally :)
I hereby claim copyright to this message you are now reading,
and for that you owe me a $1 royalty fee each time you read this.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

mame wrote:Suggestion: Can you make an option to not re-mount the image after reboot
This option is set for each image separately, and by default it's turned off. If you mean disabling the very possibility of auto-mounting (that is, not creating the autostart entry at all), it will be implemented in the version 2.0.