total commander 6 bug?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

edm107

total commander 6 bug?

Post by *edm107 »

Dialog box: Change directory menu
The directory menu is invoked with CTRL+D, or a double click on the current path header.
To move menu items to a different line, put the cursor bar on the desired entry, hold down the SHIFT key and move it using up and down arrow keys. You can also drag items using the mouse.
Add item... Creates a new entry in the directory menu. Asks for a menu title first. A & sign causes the letter behind it to be underlined. Enter a single dash '-' to create a seperator line.
This is a fragment from total commander help file ..
My problem is I use "&" sign to underline the first letter this appear underlined only in configuration dialog box not even in menu box after I apply the settings.
Is that correct or I no? .. and if it's correct why should I underline the letter in settings menu only? .. :roll:

thx.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

No problem here (XP pro).

May it is hard to see (e.g. the underline for "g") but it is still there !

Which letter do you want to make "hot" ?
#5767 Personal license
edm107

Post by *edm107 »

:( it's works with any letter but only in a settings dialog box.. After I click "ok" button nothing appear underlined in menu box :mrgreen:
I have win2k sp4.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

So you may have a look at the recent thread :
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2450
#5767 Personal license
Clo

Re: total commander 6 bug?

Post by *Clo »

edm107 wrote:
Dialog box: Change directory menu
The directory menu is invoked with CTRL+D, or a double click on the current path header.
To move menu items to a different line, put the cursor bar on the desired entry, hold down the SHIFT key and move it using up and down arrow keys. You can also drag items using the mouse.
Add item... Creates a new entry in the directory menu. Asks for a menu title first. A & sign causes the letter behind it to be underlined. Enter a single dash '-' to create a seperator line.
This is a fragment from total commander help file ..
My problem is I use "&" sign to underline the first letter this appear underlined only in configuration dialog box not even in menu box after I apply the settings.
Is that correct or I no? .. and if it's correct why should I underline the letter in settings menu only? .. :roll:

thx.
:) Hi!
:( I noticed the same problem in Xp-Pro, the "hot" local-shortcut letter is not underlined! That occured with 5.51 too... But yet, that works normally under Win98 SE...
¤ Isn't a colour-problem: the menu-background is light, and writing is black... :?:
If somebody has an :idea: , thanks!
:) Friendly,
Clo
edm107

Post by *edm107 »

I just discover it it's work but only with Ctrl+D and not if i acces the hot menu with doble click. So if a pres Ctrl+D the letter appear underlined but if I acces the hot menu with doble click the letter is not underlined ... try yourself to convince.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

2edm107, 2Clo :
Just follow this few steps:

- Click into one of the file panes
- Have a look at your main menu !

Do you see any underlined letters ?

No ? :(

- Now press the ALT key (only the ALT nothing more and keep it pressed)
- Have a look at your main menu !

Do you see any underlined letters ?

Yes ? :)

So that is your current windows setting !

see at http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2450 (the second entry, thanks to Leif) how to change it.
#5767 Personal license
edm107

Post by *edm107 »

2 sqa_wizard

Hello there!! .. Did you read the subject of our problem? I think not ..becouse your answere. :mrgreen:
:arrow: I am talking about HOT MENU (CTRL+D) underlined letters NOT MAIN MENU (with Alt key pressed)

Thank you! :wink:
Clo

Works--- once!

Post by *Clo »

:roll: >>>edm107 You're right: that works with Ctrl+D, but doesn't work with the * button...

:cry: >>>sqa_wizard That worked once pressing ALT... Then, you can't keep any menu open whether the ALT key is kept pressed...
:? That happens under NT-based Wins only... I suppose that it's a Win 2000 / XP problem with TC! I never saw that with 3.1 - 95 - 98 ... along five years using W /TC :?:
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

edm107 wrote:I am talking about HOT MENU (CTRL+D) underlined letters NOT MAIN MENU
But it is the same cause for both occurences

2Clo: Just verify your settings :
Do a Right Click on your desktop and select - Properties - Layout - Effects

The last item reads "Hide keyboard navigation indicators until I use the Alt key" and must be unchecked !!!
#5767 Personal license
Clo

Post by *Clo »

sqa_wizard wrote:
edm107 wrote:I am talking about HOT MENU (CTRL+D) underlined letters NOT MAIN MENU
But it is the same cause for both occurences

2Clo: Just verify your settings :
Do a Right Click on your desktop and select - Properties - Layout - Effects

The last item reads "Hide keyboard navigation indicators until I use the Alt key" and must be unchecked !!!
:D Hi!
Thanks! That works...
:twisted: A typical useless XP option...
"Why to make a simple thing, while it's so easy to make a complicated one?" (Modern French proverb, from the famous French TV cartoons serie *Les Shadocks*)
:D Friendly,
Clo
#31505 (*2)
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

A typical useless XP option...
... and with each new windows version they put the "features" it on a different place !
I just wait for the commercial by MS "Adventure included" ;-)
#5767 Personal license
Clo

Post by *Clo »

sqa_wizard wrote:
A typical useless XP option...
... and with each new windows version they put the "features" it on a different place !
I just wait for the commercial by MS "Adventure included" ;-)
:lol: That could come soon with the CD-package...

[humour]
I had a dream: the Holy Ghost came in Redmond and touched B.G. while he was sleeping... At the next morning, B.G. decided to give the whole Windows-sources as Free Public Licence, then went to finish his life in a monastery.
Three days later, we had a wonderful OS, free of charge, bug-free, none blue-screen, where TC could be used as the Shell directly...
But the clock rang, my dog came and licked my face as usual, I woke with a start: it was only a dream...
[/humour]
Please Mr. Ghisler, no censure, the private messages are desactivated here.
:) Friendly, Clo
#31505 (*2)
Last edited by Clo on 2003-12-08, 13:59 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

On XP, the underlined letters only appear when the Alt key is pressed. This should work not only in menus, but also in dialog boxes, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work in Delphi apps. :(
There is also no message sent to the dialog to redraw itself when Alt is pressed. The only way to get the underlined letters on XP is to open the dialog with the keyboard...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

ghisler(Author) wrote:On XP, the underlined letters only appear when the Alt key is pressed. This should work not only in menus, but also in dialog boxes, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work in Delphi apps. :(
There is also no message sent to the dialog to redraw itself when Alt is pressed. The only way to get the underlined letters on XP is to open the dialog with the keyboard...
Or uncheck:

Right-click Desktop - Properties - Appearance - Effects - "Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation until I press the Alt key"