Windows' search vs. TC's search

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DVDM

Windows' search vs. TC's search

Post by *DVDM »

Today I was doing a search for a particular text (my initials DVDM) within AutoCAD dwg files. I did this to find all files that I had worked on, because these files will have a block reference in it containing these initials.
TC's search function only returned 7 files, which wasn't nearly enough. I tried Windows search function instead, and it returned 48 files, which was a lot more like it.
The files that TC did find, when opening them in notepad, did contain the string DVDM in it. The additional files that Windows found, did not contain the string DVDM in it when searching in notepad. However, all these drawing files did have my initials in a block reference within the drawing.

Now, these files may have been saved in a variety of different versions (acad 2000, 2004, 2006, 2007), and may have contained different types of block references with my intials. I did not have enough time to find a possible logic behind that.
But regardles, Windows' search function did find what I was looking for, TC didn't.
What does Windows do different here, and how can I reproduce the same search result with TC?
Clo

RegEx & Plugins…

Post by *Clo »

2DVDM

:) Hello !

• I'm not expert at this, but I guess that you would get a much better Search result using i.e. :
RegEx and¦or Plugins to match the “DVDM” pattern in your texts…

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Rafal

Post by *Rafal »

I was thinking that maybe windows native search searches for both ascii and unicode strings but from my test I can't confirm that.

Anyway, try to check an Unicode checkbox in TC and see if it helps.
DVDM

Post by *DVDM »

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.
I've tried ticking all the boxes, but it didn't make a difference unfortunately. I'm not sure how Regular Expressions would help me in my search, and I haven't looked at what plugins could do for me yet.

The files I do find in a search, are also found when I tick ASCII, HEX, & UTF8, but not when I tick UNICODE.

I did some trail and error testing to find a pattern in this.
Using TC's search, an ACAD 2000 file allowed me to find a string of text in the following objects: Text, MText, Layers, (certain) Block references.
An ACAD 2004 revealed just Text and (certain) Block references.

Windows search however, was able to find a text in every object I tested, including Blocks (their names), Block Reference Attributes, and Dimensions.

It seems to me that Windows search uses a more intelligent search method, taking into account the specific formatting of a file. I found the following that I think is related to it (Indexing Service): http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms689718.aspx
ND

Post by *ND »

As per Clo's suggestion, maybe a Plugin will help.

I think if you install the new TextSearch content plugin and configure the IFilter wrapper for it, you will be able to do IFilter search if you associate it with DWG files. For more information ask your questions on Alexey's thread.
aNDreas Bolotă
The truth always carries the ambiguity of the words used to express it. (Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune)
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

Refreshing up an old thread ...

I have the same problem: Searching for a "text content" (e.g. "aee") in AutoCAD-DWG files brings nothing with TC, but the correct result with "Windows Explorer".

On my PC is installed a lot of Autodesk-software (AutoCAD, DWGTRueview, ...), and I know that one of these packages installed a "Search filter / Search extension". I have

Code: Select all

AcDwgFilter16.dll	AcDwgFilter	AcDwgFilter Module	16.2.54.0	16.2.54.0	Autodesk	C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AcDwgFilter\AcDwgFilter16.dll	{7F0A7E9C-4760-4db0-A875-B7BAEC4BA137}	{8E77F05A-5BE0-463a-B07C-06C16F525297}	03.08.2006 09:04:01	
Is it possible to use this feature with TC without plugins? Or only with ..?

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The file may be a Unicode file. Currently you cannot search for Unicode and plain text at the same time.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The file may be a Unicode file. Currently you cannot search for Unicode and plain text at the same time.
I don't think so. I tried to search with "Unicode-Option" - and find nothing. At the moment I'm playing around with Plugin "Textsearch" and try to configure it - in c:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AcDwgFilter I have
  • AcDwgFilter16.dll
    AcDwgFilter16.tlb
    AcDwgFilterImp16.exe
    AcDwgFilterImp16.tlb
    ad18asm216.dll
    mfc70.dll
    mfc70loc.dll
    msvcp70.dll
    msvcr70.dll
Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Peter »

ND wrote:...you will be able to do IFilter search if you associate it with DWG files. ...
Config-problem for DWG solved here:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=16637&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=70

Peter
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64