Update portable version of TC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Alfa000

Update portable version of TC

Post by *Alfa000 »

Hello,

I read official Update instructions for registered users:
(I can't show link, because antispam rules :( )

But how to update my portable version of TC (created with tc2usb tool, no U3)? I use portable TC7.04 some years and I make many customization. I don't remember some of this customization. Therefore safe update is really important to me. What are confident instructions?

Thanks a lot...

Best regards...
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

Hello!
That should be simple (hope so!). When you start the installation file of the new version, the installer offers a default installation directory. Instead of using this directory just navigate to the directory where your portable version is installed.
The TC installer does not change the ini-files or any other configuration files. So your customizations should be untouched by the update.
On the other hand, I cannot imagine that you have not tried the described procedure. So what exactly is the problem?
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Alfa000.

The procedure explained by Wilhelm M. should work.

Nevertheless I update my portable Total Commander installation(s) manually:
  1. + USB drive letter e.g. J:
    + T.C. programme folder: J:\utils\Totalcmd
    + Installation package: tcmdr755a.exe
  2. Make sure that the portable T.C. which you are about to update is not currently running.
    You may perform all steps below using another T.C. instance which has been installed on the local disk e.g.
  3. Extract the file install.cab from tcmdr755a.exe
  4. Open the file install.cab
  5. Extract all files in the base folder of install.cab to the portable T.C. programme folder. In my example, this is: J:\utils\Totalcmd
  6. Extract the three files in the folder e of install.cab to the portable T.C. programme folder. In my example, this is: J:\utils\Totalcmd
  7. Extract all the files in the folder language of install.cab to the portable T.C. subfolder language. In my example, this is: J:\utils\Totalcmd\language.
This is it.

HTH,
Karl
Alfa000

Post by *Alfa000 »

This is exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks a lot...
qx87

Post by *qx87 »

Wilhelm's method has one difference: after reinstalling TC into folder, where portable one is located, its wincmd.ini file accepts new line:
InstallDir=c:\portable\totalcmd\

Portable TC created with tc2usb does not contain this line. I don't know if it is critical, but I guess portable program must not contain such setting, and therefore karlchen's method is preferred.
DelphiDev

Re: Update portable version of TC

Post by *DelphiDev »

Just to add to karlchen's excellent answer:
make sure you don't overwrite default.bar and vertical.bar, otherwise your custom buttons & customizations to the bars are gone.
(luckily I had a backup :) )
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Update portable version of TC

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, DelphiDev.

Thank you for your positive feedback on the post, which I submitted half a century ago during my early youth. :wink:

About the file default.bar and vertical.bar:

I do not care about either of the 2 files. The reason is simple: Once upon a time, very likely half a century ago as well, I created my own buttonbars, which are stored in .bar files that are not named default.bar, nor vertical.bar.
This way, during a Total Commander release update, my buttonbar files will not be overwritten by the installer.

Cheers,
Karl
--

Code: Select all

$ ls -l *.bar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 karl karl 3641 Jun 29 00:51 TC7_Karl.bar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 karl karl 2439 Mai 22  2014 TC7_Karl_CpNames.bar
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song