Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

drpiety

Post by *drpiety »

LarsSandberg: i still think we need a macro submission forum. The usenet only shows user problems but not much usable codelines.
LarsSandberg

Post by *LarsSandberg »

LarsSandberg: i still think we need a macro submission forum. The usenet only shows user problems but not much usable codelines.

drpiety, maybe following links may be helpfull?

http://www.macros.com/share.htm
http://www.macros.com/share.htm#Insight
http://www.macros.com/share.htm#User

These 3 links are actually on the same page.
Best regards
Lars
drpiety

Post by *drpiety »

well yes thats the kind of page we would need. The macros there are quite simple and its only a hand full. In addition they are there since 1972 :D. The clipboard macro is quite good and i am testing the autocorrect macro.

thanks for remembering me !
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

drpiety wrote:well yes thats the kind of page we would need. The macros there are quite simple and its only a hand full. In addition they are there since 1972 :D. The clipboard macro is quite good and i am testing the autocorrect macro.
The "Define Word" macro in the user contributed section is a really good idea.

I checked this page for years, and there is little change, not much happening. Maybe we should give it a little kick? ;-)
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
drpiety

Post by *drpiety »

wouldnt be so bad. I do not have time to work on a forum but I will contribute every macro I generate if I find someoene opening a ME Forum.
bb

Alternative Windows Shells (Explorer Replacement)

Post by *bb »

As we're all using Total Commander for Filebrowsing (and obviously many more uses) why not try alternative Shells!
They replace the Explorer Shell, that means:
Taskbar (with Startmenu, Running Tasks, Systray, Clock,...)
Desktop (Items and Contextmenu)
Hotkeys (e.g. Win+E)

There are several really good ones, I personally prefer Blackbox for Windows: I know this list is by far not complete, but these are some of those i testet - and they all work fine with TotalCmd, of course.

Find some reviews here: http://shells.loose-screws.com/

It's worth a try! They all are highly configurable!
Most have:
  • workspaces (multiple virtual desktops)
  • userdefineable hotkeys built in
  • much more won't write down now
and btw: they're all free
Last edited by bb on 2004-01-10, 18:30 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
bb

Other Useful Software

Post by *bb »

All of the following are FREE: ...just to name/reference some of the tools i am using :)
Clo

Free too---

Post by *Clo »

:D Hello!

• I use now Miranda, it's a nice program! Although a bit "severe" about its look. But it's light at size, and not greedy at RAM, that is a pretty benefit for machines not very powerfull…

• As TC offficial partner-programs, we can add too:
:arrow: XnView http://www.xnview.com, free of charge for personal use,
:arrow: Uniview http://www.andrek.wz.cz by Andrej Krutak, quite Freeware at all (there is an error on the TC Web pages, this soft is quoted as Shareware… Ch. Ghisler is already informed of this)
* By the same author: Miniview http://perso.wanadoo.fr/charries/download.htm#mnv a very simplified addon to display *.GIF - *.PNG - *.JPG only in Lister. ~110 KB only! It might work under Win 3.1+Win 32S. I asked for it to this author, especially for this use.
:? Unfortunately, I no longer have a PC on duty with W3.1+Win 32S…
8) However, it works very well in Win 9x and newer. Very fast to load! Unofficial still, but I hope that C. Ghisler'll "adopt" it!
:) Glad to hear your opinion(s) about these free programs,
:mrgreen: kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
bb

Post by *bb »

@Clo: Miranda looks a "a bit severe" after installing ... but it is highly configurable.
i suggest the original gangsta icons from M^trix http://www.miranda-im.org/download/details.php?action=viewfile&id=401
but there are other cool iconsets, too

additionaly u can set background images and so on...
really great :)

you can /join #miranda on irc.freenode.net if you want... developer's discussion there :)
mfg, bb
Clo

Nicer...

Post by *Clo »

2bb
:D Hi!
• Thank you for the link! I downloaded icons, and I'll install them later.
8) I like coloured things (but someones here have not the same tastes than me - about my Tutorials for instance-), but not "cosmetic-things" too much...
:? I'm not a programmer, so I can't take advantage of IRC chats, unfortunately... But I note for my son who is studying programmation, thanks.
:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
drpiety

Post by *drpiety »

can someone compare miranda to trillian ?
bb

miranda vs. trillian

Post by *bb »

I prefer miranda :)
Miranda
from www.miranda-im.org/about
Miranda IM is a multi protocol instant messenger client for Windows. Miranda IM uses very little memory and is extremely fast. It requires no installation and can be fitted on a single floppy disc. Its powerful plugin system makes Miranda IM very flexible. Only the most basic features are built in, but there are currently more than 150 free plugins available for download that allows users to extend the functionality of Miranda IM.

Available protocols ICQ, AIM, MSN, IRC, Jabber, Yahoo, Gadu-Gadu, Tlen, Netsend, and more
Supported OS Windows 95, 98, Me, NT4, 2000 & XP
License Miranda IM is published under the GPL license and is free of charge.
Free support in the MirandaForum http://forums.miranda-im.org/ and on IRC (not only for developer!) #miranda on irc.freenode.net and (inofficial) #miranda on irc.quakenet.org

Trillian
I personally tried trillian when it was at about 0.7, later the 1.0 so it's a while ago.
From trillian.cc/products
What is Trillian Pro?
Trillian Pro is a very powerful communications tool that includes a huge number of features to enhance your IM experience, creating infinite possibilities during your journey on the Internet. Whether you're a user tangled by the complexity of using more than one network, a user who is using only one messenger looking for a better experience, or an Internet user looking for an efficient way to stay updated with the world, Trillian Pro is designed for you.

How much does it cost?
Trillian Pro costs $25 USD. For your money, you receive:
* A copy of the software, including patches and upgrades during your subscription period (1 year).
* Full technical support via an e-mail ticketing system for 1 year after your purchase date.

I hope that helps a little, you'll find more on their websites.
For more questions about miranda you can contact me, but i can't help with trillian.
mfg, bb
drpiety

Post by *drpiety »

thanks !! , very kind :D
msiivola

Post by *msiivola »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Btw, I've been a registered Macro Express user for many years!
Thank you for the tip! It (version 3.4b build 1) really seems to be very capable compared with what I have tested! If it had not been you recommending it, I had not tested it at all, and if I had, I had not understood its power, because my first test happened to bump into it its worst bug I've encountered in it so far. I uninstalled it, but because I knew that it HAS to be good because you have recommended it, I installed it again continuing my experiments.

The bug is its Text Type function: it types recorded CAPITAL accented letters (in my case scandinavian ÅÄÖ) as _small_ letters and simultaneously hangs Shift so badly that only booting of the computer helps.

I have not studied all the conditions under which this bug appears, but If I cannot find any more bugs during my testing period, it is in spite of that worth the investment.
Leif

Post by *Leif »

[quote="msiivola]
... accented letters (in my case scandinavian ÅÄÖ) as _small_ letters ... [/quote]

You are a brave man to use them! Our umlauts are a real pain ... somewhere! I do wish programmers would realize that they are here to stay!!
:wink: