Total7zip

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Total7zip

Post by *Total7zip »

+Test Archives is implemented
+log settings
+settings for updating sfx archives
+Simple Mode

http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/Total7zip.html
Total7zip

Post by *Total7zip »

Lupus wrote:To the plugin author Total7zip:
why did you bundle the latest version (0.8.1.0) of
Total7zip with 7-Zip 9.20.04 alpha files? Is there a special reason for doing this :?:
It's a good question.
If you see 7-zip's history you'll see that "alpha" just adds several bugfixes and new localizations:

Code: Select all

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/forums/forum/45797/topic/4421178

- 7-Zip now can unpack UEFI BIOS files.
- 64-bit version of 7-Zip now includes additional 32-bit shell extension DLL.
  So other 32-bit programs can call 64-bit 7-Zip via context menu.
- Now it's possible to associate 7-Zip with file types without Administrator rights.
- New -mf=FilterID switch to specify compression filter. Examples:
    7z a -mf=bcj2 a.7z a.tar 
    7z a -mf=delta:4 a.7z a.wav 
    7z a -mf=bcj a.tar.xz a.tar 
- There are some changes in LZMA settings for BCJ2 filter. 
  So compression ratio now is slightly improved for executable files in -mx9 mode for .7z format.
- Some bugs were fixed.
- New localizations: Corsican, Kyrgyz, Ligurian.

What's new in latest alpha update:
- 7-Zip now remembers "Show Password" option selection.
- The bug in latest alpha versions was fixed:  Default solid block size was small (command line version only). 
I use it on my PC without any problems and I don't think that 9.20 (with Some bugs were not fixed) is better =)
gebing

Post by *gebing »

should this plugin to add some plugin configuration to specify compress method to specific file extension when generating compress file.

for example:
every time i generate a .bz2 compress file, the plugin always ask for the compress method becuase 7zip can only automatically generate a .bzip2 compress file. i think the plugin can add a configratuion to specify .bz2 file should use Bzip2 compress method when generate new compress file.
Flarna

user specific config file Total7zip.xml

Post by *Flarna »

It seems Total7zip tries to store it's config (Total7zip.xml) into the plugins folder which is inside the total commander folder and therefore needs admin rights to access it.
Additionally the settings effect all users.
Total commander settings are stored in %APPDATA%\GHISLER where no admin rights are needed.

Is it possible to move the Total7zip settings to the same location where normal Total commander settings are located?

I think it makes not much sense to have a part of the settings global and another part user specific.
Flarna

no error message if file can't be created

Post by *Flarna »

I just noticed that I don't get any error message if try to create a 7z archive in a folder where I have no write access (e.a. c:\program files).
I get the usual compression progress bar but no file is created.

If I compress as zip (not useing Total7zip plugin) I get an error.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: user specific config file Total7zip.xml

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Flarna wrote:Total commander settings are stored in %APPDATA%\GHISLER where no admin rights are needed.
Thats BS all my settings are inside the TC folder where they belong...
(yes I love my TC portable)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
diceman2037

Post by *diceman2037 »

Flarna wrote:It seems Total7zip tries to store it's config (Total7zip.xml) into the plugins folder which is inside the total commander folder and therefore needs admin rights to access it.
Additionally the settings effect all users.
Total commander settings are stored in %APPDATA%\GHISLER where no admin rights are needed.

Is it possible to move the Total7zip settings to the same location where normal Total commander settings are located?

I think it makes not much sense to have a part of the settings global and another part user specific.
total commander saves the settings where you tell it too. not everyone wants them in appdata.
Flarna

Post by *Flarna »

diceman2037 wrote:total commander saves the settings where you tell it too. not everyone wants them in appdata.
Yes, total commander follows my decision I did during installation and this is fine. But the Total7zip plugin doesn't follow this decision and tries to store the setting in install folder.

Update: Just noticed that's my fault. I have to install the plugin into appdata and then also the settings are there.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

To the plugin author:

You should implement the function PackSetDefaultParams. Then check the field DefaultIniName in PackDefaultParamStruct. This name points to the directory where Total Commander stores the wincmd.ini. Just cut off the file name and append Total7zip.xml for storing the settings. This way it will work for all users, also those where the plugin directory is write protected, or those working with the portable version.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Total7zip

Post by *Total7zip »

Hi,

as far as I know PackSetDefaultParams is called only when packer plugin interface is used. This is a kind of problem, because my plugin can be used as Content and as Lister plugin as well.
So, in some cases I must to read settings before TC calls PackSetDefaultParams.

Can I use %COMMANDER_INI% environment variable?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The same function also exists in content and lister plugins, it just has a slightly different name:
ContentSetDefaultParams
and
ListSetDefaultParams
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

But I think there should be a standard INI option to set path to Total7zip.xml. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

My suggestion is for the DEFAULT location. Of course if you want to give the user the option to override it you can do that.
diceman2037

Post by *diceman2037 »

You can use 64-bit version of 7zG if you want.
when i use the 64bit 7zG.exe, it errors out with "Cannot find the code that works with archives"

it works with the 64bit 7z.dll, but then i cannot open packed exe's with total commander
Total7zip

Post by *Total7zip »

OK, it's ready
Total7zip v0.8.4.0
If Total Commander is started in portable mode, Total7zip.xml will be stored in the plugin folder, as it was in previous versions.
Default path is %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\WCX\Total7zip\Total7zip.xml
In all other cases Total7zip.xml will be saved to the directory where Total Commander stores the wincmd.ini.

http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/Total7zip.html
Flarna wrote:I just noticed that I don't get any error message if try to create a 7z archive in a folder where I have no write access (e.a. c:\program files).
I get the usual compression progress bar but no file is created.
I cannot reproduce this - I get an error as soon as I try to create archive in read-only folder.
Can you help me with this?