When will begin the 2011's beta / rc TC update?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

xmeron

When will begin the 2011's beta / rc TC update?

Post by *xmeron »

It is past almost half of this year, and Windows 8 will also release soon, so, when we will begin the 2011's beta / rc TC update?
Expect some new versions, expect some new messages, and also expect some new functions like the following example:

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af271/xmeron/003.gif

:D :D :D
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, xmeron.

About Total Commander 2011 Release:

Actually, there is no such policy that will instruct the programme author, Christian Ghilser, to release one new major Total Commander version per year. Therefore there is no such thing as a Total Commander 2011 beta or release candidate cycle.

Currently, Christian seems to be working on creating a 64-bit version of Total Commander.

Doing so is more difficult than most laymen will imagine, because the current Total Commander has been written in a Delphi version which cannot be used to create 64-bit applications for 64-bit Windows versions.

This has been talked about in quite a few threads for quite a time now. So, please, feel free to train using the forum search button and locate the most relevant threads. :wink:

--

About your feature requests:

Requests, not just request: Yes, there is more than one feature request hidden in your nice little animation.
From my point of view it would be really worth the hassle of posting the requested features in the TC7.56a suggestions (English) sub-forum.
I am pretty confident that quite a few users will support your requests. :)
I cannot give any forecast, however, whether they can and will be implemented and when. :roll:

Cheers,
Karl
xmeron

Post by *xmeron »

Dear karlchen

Thanks for your reply.

I think, tightly following with Mr. Ghisler's every TC version, is the most TCers did these years before, thus cause me have the same thought again.
Even there is no annual update cycle, but Keeping Update is to tell the fans that we are alive, we are still strong, please keep the faith.

Actually, above animation is just a part/crop of whole animation, which also demonstrate "tuning thumbnails size", and especially "tag/select picture in fullscreen mode".

In same month of last year, I posted a similar request in the suggestion forum,
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=26181
This thread request: when a rar file has comment, TC can give a tip, and user can view comment by press F3.
Now, one year passed, it's the aniversary of this request, I post it again to commemorate it.

Anyway, thanks for your reply again.

Best Regards,
xmeron
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed porting from Delphi to Lazarus was quite a lot of work, especially because I also had to port some custom controls. But now the 64-bit version is almost done, I'm using it daily for my work and it works quite OK. Therefore I will now begin to fix bugs and add new features. I cannot say yet when I will start with the beta test, sorry. Maybe I will bring out a pre-release 64-bit version for plugin writers.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
xmeron

Post by *xmeron »

Good News! Perfect Work! I'm keep waiting!

BTW, since already ported to a cross-platform IDE, so we can use TC in ubuntu or mac in the near future?
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

xmeron wrote:BTW, since already ported to a cross-platform IDE, so we can use TC in ubuntu or mac in the near future?
a) Lazerus use doesnt mean Crossplatform - TC is WINDOWS filemanager
-> *nix filesystem works completly different

b) if u wanna use TC under *nix try Wine
Hoecker sie sind raus!
ghost-be

Post by *ghost-be »

love it , keep folowing up
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

Great! 64bit version of TC!
GammelBert

Post by *GammelBert »

2011, are you kidding!? We know from the experience of Anti-Virus companies that software has to be labled with a future year. At least one year but the more the better it is.
:P
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

GammelBert wrote:2011, are you kidding!? We know from the experience of Anti-Virus companies that software has to be labled with a future year. At least one year but the more the better it is.
:P
TC never labeled by year, it is always labeled by version :P
bobya

Post by *bobya »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:
xmeron wrote:BTW, since already ported to a cross-platform IDE, so we can use TC in ubuntu or mac in the near future?
a) Lazerus use doesnt mean Crossplatform - TC is WINDOWS filemanager
-> *nix filesystem works completly different

b) if u wanna use TC under *nix try Wine
Actually there is a port of TC written for *nix systems, it is called double commander http://doublecmd.sourceforge.net/.
It is indeed written with Lazarus but unfortunately its author seems not to have too much time as it hasn't been updated for quite some time.
Other than this the port is fairly good. It even claims to have plugin compatibility with the original TC.
Don't get me wrong, I still very much prefer the original TC as it is way better, but since it does not work under *nix this port is a good replacement, plus it is open source.
When you are looking for the best of the best, turn to me!!!
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2bobya
It's not a "TC port". I don't believe it took a single line of code from TC sources.
It is completely separate project.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

bobya wrote:Don't get me wrong, I still very much prefer the original TC as it is way better, but since it does not work under *nix this port is a good replacement, plus it is open source.
TC WORKS under *nix - just use wine as said before...
Hoecker sie sind raus!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Recently I tried TC under Ubuntu+Wine, it works but some problems exist... Some global shortcuts are already used (e.g. Alt+F7), network is inaccessible, non-English characters in dialogs are invisible (need to choose right fonts), it can't start native apps and some other troubles/bugs. But it is still very usable for file system operations. :) Even plugins work (not all however). :)
bobya

Post by *bobya »

Well I agree it is not exactly a port , it is indeed a separate project but it has an API compatibility to the original TC and it has taken as much as possible from its look and feel.
Also I know you can run lots of applications on *nix using wine, but running TC with wine is like eating a half baked pizza, so thanks but no thanks.
I am a linux user for almost 10 years and I can say with confidence that for me running applications with wine will never be an option.

Just for clarification. This is my humble opinion and I am not pushing it to anyone.
When you are looking for the best of the best, turn to me!!!