Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Clo

Snail???

Post by *Clo »

2Jaguarist
Hi!
:( I attempted to download, I got the server, but it's frozen... normal if it's in Russia...
The same for the download page, it's hung (not hanged, A! My neck!)
:?:
Cheers,
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Jaguarist

Re: Snail???

Post by *Jaguarist »

Clo wrote: :( I attempted to download, I got the server, but it's frozen... normal if it's in Russia...
The same for the download page, it's hung (not hanged, A! My neck!)
:?:
Cheers,
Clo
Interesting. I just went to that link, and attempted to both download, and go to the home pages, and all the links worked for me.

Maybe it was just a temporary thing?? :?:

Jag
drpiety

Post by *drpiety »

thanks very much, maybe just someone will come up with an "oh my god is this is so great" program..until then ill test.
Randy

Post by *Randy »

drpiety wrote:thanks clo but i am in need of an offline browser that downloads a complete webpage overnight for me.
The problem is that the webpage that i use everyday is awfully slow so I want to download and update it daily overnight. -for free if possible ?!
I highly recommend Offline Explorer. It handles web and FTP and is very flexible.

http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProducts_Detail.asp?id=1
klsgfx

Post by *klsgfx »

Black Dog wrote:[face=courier]On 14-01-2004 06:20:37 +0000 Raymond wrote:

R> Is there anything TAR over MCL?

Are you kidding?! TAR to MCL is like Commander to Explorer - just open Configuration of both. Sorry, but it will take too much time to tell about all TAR advantages. It looks like your "quick try" was too quick :).[/face]
I had a closer Look at TAR. MCL I already knew for a while. I liked MCl, but now, since I saw TAR I must admit Black Dog, TAR ist much more powerfull.
I registered for me TrayCommandLine about 2 years ago. There is no more development on this (the programmer is unreachable) but is has one big advantage over TAR and MCL: I can use shortcuts to trigger aliases or can use the commandline.
In these two years I tried a lot of commandline starters or runs or whatever they are called and tried to get in contact to the programmers to improve their software, but none of them went in the direction I was looking for. TAR is near by, only the lack of shortcuts for starting porgrams or aliases. I will keep an eye on it.

Gruss
Klaus
drpiety

Post by *drpiety »

Thanks Randy I confirm: offline explorer is great. Is it starting itself at sheduled time or must i leave it running at all times ?
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 15-01-2004 00:15:51 +0000 klsgfx wrote:

k> I liked MCl, but now, since I saw TAR I must admit Black
k> Dog, TAR ist much more powerfull.

Indeed and TAR author makes it more and more powerful every release.
BTW, one of the TAR brilliance feature is autocompletion of "system aliases" you can find in

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\"

- I believe you can't find this feature in any other tool. This is like partisan war - you can use enemy resources for your supply %).

k> is has one big advantage over TAR and MCL: I can use
k> shortcuts to trigger aliases

Actually shortcuts are not so flexible solution for launching purposes - you can't add parameter to shortcut. This are two separate approaches and I suppose "console" one more flexible or let's say, "professional". And actually I can't say it's much slower than "plane" shortcut - e.g. to run Commander I have to hit "Win"+"`"|"w"+Return. But I can type in any parameter after "wincom" alias to pass them to Commander. With "shortcut" approach you have to make separate shortcut for each parameter.

k> or can use the commandline

Sorry, can't say I follow you here.[/face]
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2 Black Dog:
Thanks for pointing to TAR, great utility!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
klsgfx

Post by *klsgfx »

Black Dog wrote:[face=courier]On 15-01-2004 00:15:51 +0000 klsgfx wrote:

k> is has one big advantage over TAR and MCL: I can use
k> shortcuts to trigger aliases

Actually shortcuts are not so flexible solution for launching purposes - you can't add parameter to shortcut. This are two separate approaches and I suppose "console" one more flexible or let's say, "professional". And actually I can't say it's much slower than "plane" shortcut - e.g. to run Commander I have to hit "Win"+"`"|"w"+Return. But I can type in any parameter after "wincom" alias to pass them to Commander. With "shortcut" approach you have to make separate shortcut for each parameter.

k> or can use the commandline

Sorry, can't say I follow you here.[/face]
For Example, I can start TC the following ways: [winkey][w] or [Pause] and the TryCommandline appears and I type tc [Enter]
Both is handled by TrayCommandLine. This is the only feature I miss with TAR.
In fact I use both ways to start some programs, for some I use shortcuts from TrayCommandline , for some I use command-line from TrayCommandLine.

Summit: I am halfway convinced to switch over to TAR. :-)

Gruss
Klaus
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

To Black Dog & klsgfx

I like to use shortcuts for lunching purposes too, together with commandline input. Plus, I need these features by keyboard:
1. sound volume up, down and mute
2. window control: maximize, minimize, close, on top, etc
3. paste often_used text

I wonder if there's a tool has all these features.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 15-01-2004 19:08:11 +0000 klsgfx wrote:

k> For Example, I can start TC the following ways: [winkey][w]

As for me I use "Ctrl"+"Alt"+"W" to run Commander via shortcut - default LNK file feature. Of course it doesn't support "Win".

k> or [Pause] and the TryCommandline appears and I type tc
k> [Enter]
k> Both is handled by TrayCommandLine.

Does it support aliases with transmitted parameters execution, BTW? And what about placeholders support inside aliases? Just curious.

k> This is the only feature I miss with TAR.

What can I say, TAR won't have anything with shortcuts, sorry.

k> In fact I use both ways to start some programs, for
k> some I use shortcuts from TrayCommandline , for some
k> I use command-line from TrayCommandLine.

Well, I used to use mostly shortcuts for programs launching some times ago, but now I completely switch to "console" scheme.

k> Summit: I am halfway convinced to switch over to TAR.

This absolutely not my goal to convince you to switch over to something. Use what you like to, this is your business.
But you didn't answer my question:

k>> or can use the commandline

BD> Sorry, can't say I follow you here.[/face]
Last edited by Black Dog on 2004-01-15, 21:56 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
klsgfx

Post by *klsgfx »

Black Dog wrote:Does it support aliases with transmitted parameters execution, BTW? And what about placeholders support inside aliases? Just curious.
No, it does not. As I said (did I?), the autor is not reachable and work on this tool stopped. So I am looking for alternatives.
Black Dog wrote:This absolutely not my goal to convince you to switch over to something. Use what you like to, this is your business.
But you didn't answer my question:

k>> or can use the commandline

BD> Sorry, can't say I follow you here.
Just wanted to say, that TrayCommandLine is offering both methods of starting commands: using shortcuts or the command line (box?) which is build into it. If this does not answer your question, then I have to apologize. Seems it was me, who could not follow you.

By the way, would you allow me one question regarding TAR? Is it possible (and how) to make an alias to start another alias?

Gruss Klaus
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 15-01-2004 23:42:45 +0000 klsgfx wrote:

k> Just wanted to say, that TrayCommandLine is offering both
k> methods of starting commands: using shortcuts or the command
k> line (box?) which is build into it.

I see now, thank you - I use "console" term instead.

k> Seems it was me, who could not follow you.

There exactly?

k> By the way, would you allow me one question regarding TAR?

Of course I would, why do you have any doubts about that?

k> Is it possible (and how) to make an alias to start another
k> alias?

AFAIK only for plugins' predefined aliases like "~poweroff" etc. You really need it?[/face]
klsgfx

Post by *klsgfx »

Black Dog wrote:k> Seems it was me, who could not follow you.

There exactly?
Yes.
Black Dog wrote:k> By the way, would you allow me one question regarding TAR?

Of course I would, why do you have any doubts about that?
I was not sure, because this is not a forum for TAR.
Black Dog wrote:k> Is it possible (and how) to make an alias to start another
k> alias?

AFAIK only for plugins' predefined aliases like "~poweroff" etc. You really need it?
Not really, but as I am quite lazy, ... E.g.: I start my browser with "browser". Or with "net", or "web" or ... If "net" and "web" and so on are aliases of "browser", I only would have to change the program for browser and all aliases will work the right way. You see, nothing really important.

Gruss
Klaus
drpiety

Post by *drpiety »

if I may say something the TAR discussion gets boring..sorry