FS-plugin: VirtualDisk

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

FS-plugin: VirtualDisk

Post by *Flint »

This plugin allows to mount disk images as additional drives. It works only under systems Windows 2000 and higher (32/64-bit).
One can mount ISO- and some of BIN- and NRG-images of CD, and arbitrary image files that are recognised by Windows (FAT and NTFS), including IMG-files - floppy images. When an image is mounted, there is a new drive appears in the system. Its letter is specified earlier, and the new drive contains all the content of the image file. Three modes
are available:
• HDD — emulation of local hard disk drive.
• FDD — emulation of floppy drive.
• CD/DVD — CD-drive emulation (there is no difference between CD and DVD in the system).
Also there is the "Read only" modifier that allows to disable modifying of the image mounted. CD-drive emulation is always performed in Read-Only mode.

IMPORTANT!!!
For the plugin to work it is needed to install the driver of the virtual drives (the Install command from the context menu of the file VD_Driver\vd_filedisk.inf).
In 64-bit Windows versions the driver installation must be performed from Windows Explorer only!

Plugin / mirror (256 Kb)

Command-line tool:
Tool / mirror (78 Kb, with sources)
Last edited by Flint on 2012-03-06, 20:35 UTC, edited 5 times in total.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2Flint
It seems to be a good job. Thanks.
I've tried it and here are some of my first notes:

- It would be good if I was able to see which image is currently mounted. When I have several images copied to Virtual Disks I can't see which one is already mounted, and which is not (the icons could be different). The best it would be if I could also see to which letter of disc it's currently mounted (eg. the mounted drive letter could be added to image file name).

- It shouldn't allow to mount every file. I can copy there anything now (eg. .pdf, .txt files) and mount them. Of course I have no access for such drives but it should just say something like: "Mounting impossible".

- Can I use such mounted images for CD recording, I mean eg. just copy form new mounted Z: to CD?
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

djk
- It would be good if I was able to see which image is currently mounted.
Yes, this is in my plans for future versions.
- It shouldn't allow to mount every file. I can copy there anything now (eg. .pdf, .txt files) and mount them. Of course I have no access for such drives but it should just say something like: "Mounting impossible".
This is not so easy as it seems. For example, I want to create a new empty image and work with it. To do so I can create a file with any content, mount it in RW-mode and format as FAT or NTFS. If your suggestion will be released, I will not be able to mount incorrect images and therefore - create new empty image files. It will be necessary to create files that are already properly formatted, this is difficult...
One thing that I could do: restrict copying files with extensions other than ISO, IMG or IMA, but I decided not to do it... Maybe, it will be an option in future.
- Can I use such mounted images for CD recording, I mean eg. just copy form new mounted Z: to CD?
Hmmm... I didn't understand what you mean. Explain please, what do you want to write? Change ISO-image, write it on real CD, use newly mounted image as CD-RW and write something on drive Z:, or maybe something else?
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Flint wrote:
Hmmm... I didn't understand what you mean. Explain please, what do you want to write? Change ISO-image, write it on real CD, use newly mounted image as CD-RW and write something on drive Z:, or maybe something else?
Let's suppose I have my_soft.img file. And I don't want (or I can't) use in my burning software option "Burn from image". I want to use option "Copy CD". So my question was (I can't just check it myself at the moment): If I mounted my_soft.img as for example Z: drive using your plugin, can I use "Copy CD" option in my burning software to copy from Z: to my CD (eg: E: ). Usually using eg. Demon Tools I can do it.

Another question/problem:

If I mounted an image file as a drive and removed the image form Virtual Disks - I can't dismount the drive? Is computer rebooting the only solution to dismount it?
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

djk
Let's suppose I have my_soft.img file. And I don't want (or I can't) use in my burning software option "Burn from image". I want to use option "Copy CD". So my question was (I can't just check it myself at the moment): If I mounted my_soft.img as for example Z: drive using your plugin, can I use "Copy CD" option in my burning software to copy from Z: to my CD (eg: E: ). Usually using eg. Demon Tools I can do it.
Generally - yes, you can. But there is one feature: if the program that will copy one CD to another will try to get list of CD-drives in system, it can fail in getting drive Z:. The thing is that Z: is not a real system device, it is not present in Device Manager, and therefore, many programs will not find it. For example, WinISO didn't find drive Z: on my Win2003.
I will try to find out how to add new drive into the list of system drives.
If I mounted an image file as a drive and removed the image form Virtual Disks - I can't dismount the drive? Is computer rebooting the only solution to dismount it?
Oops, sorry. This is my defect. I've completely forgotten about it. :( In the nearest version the plugin will ask to unmount this drive before deleting. In the current version rebooting is the only way.
Strogg

Re: New FS-plugin: VirtualDisk

Post by *Strogg »

Flint wrote: Unfortunately plugin works only under Windows NT/2000/XP/2003.
You will be surprised but plugin operates also under Win98se! :)
Just for the case I tried it exactly following the instructions in readme. It works OK!
So you can easily add Win98SE for system requirements.
Great job!
Thanks a lot.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

2Flint
Thanks for the answers, so let's wait for new versions :-)
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Strogg
Thank you for the test. I even have not tried it under Win9x :) I'll write in system requirements, that it may work there. The thing is that author of the driver set this limitation, so I think in Win9x it must be used carefully.
JJM

Post by *JJM »

Problem :
I do not manage to up an image under Win2000 Pro
See file http://14jjm22.free.fr/Virtual_Disk.jpg
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I have written in ReadMe.txt not to use Read-only mode - it can get some errors. Use only RW and CD modes. BTW, ISO-images in RW- and RO-mode cannot be read because they use different file system - CDFS and it is not recognisable by Windows as properly RW-disk file system. You should mount CD-images only in CD-mode.
I'll write it in ReadMe.txt in next version.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
JoeyHH

Post by *JoeyHH »

In WinME it does not work as you said. It says path wrong(driveletter z and others), so i could not mount.
Thats a pity :-(
Greetings JoeyHH
mingyan

Post by *mingyan »

Can not found server "flint.50free.org"

DNS query error !!! Download fail ...... :cry:

Any other link ???
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

2mingyan
Send me an email and I send you the plugin via email. ( For me works the link fine - I tried it just now again).

sheepdog
JJM

Post by *JJM »

Having made the necessaires modifications, new pb:
" The road of acces specifie is untraceable "

http://14jjm22.free.fr/VirtDriveRW.gif

or

http://14jjm22.free.fr/VirtDriveCD.gif
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

JJM
Try to use correct DOS path to images, for example - C:\CD_EMUL\IMAGE.ISO
Maybe, plugin doesn't like $ sign in paths...