FS-plugin: VirtualDisk

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JJM

Post by *JJM »

made modifications, the problem is always whole!!!

tp://14jjm22.free.fr/Virtualrw.gif
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Hmmm... I've just seen the size of the image you are trying to mount - it is 704.1 MB. Maybe, it is too large to be mounted? Is there some dependence in sizes of images that cannot be mounted?
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
JJM

Post by *JJM »

it is that an image smaller than 704 M were assembled successfully
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

I've tried this plugin under win98se and I got the same problem about the image path. I've tested allocating the filedisk.sys file in c:\windows\system, c:\windows\system32\drivers, and c:\windows\system\iosubsys, neither of them working at all. I've got Daemon Tools installed, although no virtual Daemon Tools' drive was installed at the moment i was trying the plugin. Hope this helps in the development, this is a very interesting plugin!

And please let me gave you a suggestion. It would be wonderful if you can copy files and dirs to the virtual drive (network neighborhood) folder and it show them in the virtual drive as if it were a real cdrom or drive, something like a subst but more flexible! Although I know it would require some hard modifications on both plugin and filedisk.sys driver.

Anyway, great plugin!!

Greetings! CoMiKe
Mister Floppy

Will there be support for other image formats?

Post by *Mister Floppy »

Hi,

will there be support for other image formats, say BIN, CUE, NRG?

Bye

Mister Floppy
Gib Spam keine Chance: www.sneakemail.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Mister Floppy
BIN is supported already as it is usual binary copy of the disk. All formats that are not native Windows formats are not supported and will not be supported for long time - it requires rewriting all the driver from the beginning and I have not enough knowledge for this jet... :(
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Ron

Post by *Ron »

Work this plugin only with full Admin rights?

Sorry, my english is... :oops:

German: Funktioniert das Plugin nur mit Admin-Rechten?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Ron
Unfortunately, it is so. I've forgotten to test it under non-Admin rights, but now I've checked - it did not work :(

Deutsch: Leider, Sie haben recht. Ich habe vergessen es zu prufen mit nicht-Admin-Rechten, aber ich habe gepruft es jetzt eben - es funktioniert nicht :(

Sorry, my German is :oops: ;)
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I stumbled into this thread while searching for a a tool for creating floppy images. Please, how do you create a floppy image for backup purposes, so that later i can recreate the floppy?
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

VGACOPY is my favoured programm - unfortunately it doesn't work with XP. Guess it needs drectly and unlimited access to the floppy-controller.

sheepdog
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Sheepdog
I usually use WinImage. Its only restriction is that diskette must be recognizable by Windows, else WinImage will not create IMG-file (in latest versions they are called IMA-files). As my plugin also requires that Windows supports the format of IMG-file, this restriction is acceptable.
Also you can create new IMG-file with size of 1 474 560 bytes (with any content!), mount it with my plugin, type format z: /fs:fat, and you will have an image of empty floppy diskette. Then you can copy on Z: files you want (for example, from the original diskette) and unmount this image. The resultant image file you can later write onto any diskette and it will have all the files you had copied on the image. The minus of this method is that IMG-file you will have is not the same to the original diskette. For example, if files were fragmented, they will not in the resultant IMG-file. For most cases this wil not result in any functionality loss, but sometimes this can be not acceptable.

PS: If you want to create IMG-file of non-Windows diskette, you can use any of numerous other programs, for example you can open floppy fisk in WinHex and save it into file in binary form.

PPS: Later I will add to my plugin creating of new empty IMG-file with autoformatting. Also I want to add creating of IMG- and ISO-images from original floppy and CD disks, but this is long work and I have almost no free time to make it :(
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Sheepdog
2Flint
Thanks guys. I'm using XP, so VGACOPY is not working i guess. WinImage in not free, do you guys know of a free alternative?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Try free tool RawWrite:
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm
It can read/write floppy images and works under almost all Windows versions (included XP).
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2Flint
Thanks, looks promising!
chriss

Post by *chriss »

SanskritFritz wrote:2Sheepdog
2Flint
Thanks guys. I'm using XP, so VGACOPY is not working i guess. WinImage in not free, do you guys know of a free alternative?
yes, i belive this one could be what your lookin for: http://www.mirkes.de/de/freeware/flpmstr.php

well, i suppose the biggest problem will be that this program is (only?) german. however its a great freeware to work with boot floppy images.
gruß

chriss