QuickSearch eXtended

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

cnnnc

bug

Post by *cnnnc »

Hi, Samuel.
I found a bug about QuickSearch eXtended:
My host OS is WinXP SP3.
My TC on the host, the path is d:\cmd
My virtualBox OS is WinXP SP3 too, and I make it complete access to the drive D of the host, then I map that as a Z disk, so I can run TC from Z:\cmd.
Example, I'd like to filter a list include string "cmd", so I type "cmd" in z:\cmd, but it seems that TC is freezed, then I have to restart TC.
If I trip off TCmatch.dll or rename it to disable it, and repeat the action as before, then TC still alive.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

_92 wrote:QuickSearch eXtended 2.2.2
if you add the attribute to hidden tcmatch.exe
it hangs on tc 8.01rc4 quick search
win7x32
anyone encountered this?
Interesting... i can reproduce it too (Win7SP1x32, QSeXt2.2.2, TC8.01RC4x32).
(Though i wonder why would anyone change it's attribute to hidden? :P)

@cnnnc:
I can't reproduce that one - XPSP3 is running in VirtualBox (4.1.18 r78361), under Windows 7 SP1. I did the same things you described (attached the host drive's C: partition - where TC can be found on the host Win7SP1 system), then started TC from the hosted path in VirtualBox, and tried to use QuickSearch eXtended in it - worked like a charm, no freezes at all, it filters out the results as it should.
What VirtualBox version are you using?
Last edited by Bluestar on 2012-07-26, 11:12 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
» Developer of Total Updater & extDir utility.
cnnnc

Post by *cnnnc »

@Bluestar:
VirtualBox 1.6.6
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

Any specific reason for sticking to this pretty old (released 4 years ago) version?
They've fixed plenty of bugs regarding shared folders since then, even in the latest versions... for example:
VirtualBox History wrote:VirtualBox 4.1.10 (released 2012-03-13)
• Windows Additions: several fixes for shared folders (bug #9753)

VirtualBox 4.1.4 (released 2011-10-03)
• Main: fixed VM initialization if a shared folder does not exist (bug #7941)

VirtualBox 4.1.2 (released 2011-08-15)
• Windows Additions: fixed file truncation on a shared folder with some applications (bugs #9276, #9315)
• Windows Additions: fixed shared folder issues with antivirus software and 64 bit Windows guests (bug #9318)
I'd suggest you to try it out with the latest stable version too.
» Developer of Total Updater & extDir utility.
leopoldus

Post by *leopoldus »

I've started used a lot this great plugin and have gotten a couple of questions. Reading Manual and doing my own tests has solved many my question, but not all. So I'd be appreciated for any help with the following topics.

1. Is it possible to enable/disable these three switches (beginning, cap letters or invert options) by keyboard, if the mouse is not at the hand?

2. The same question for switching search modes: Simple search/RegExp search etc.

3. Is it possible in any mode to search filenames with the string in the beginning of word, which are not the first word of the filename. Say. enter search string "dog" in order to find filenames with words "big dog loves little cats.txt", but not "bulldog loves little cats.txt".

4. Simple search mode uses the sign "pipe" | to separate different parts of the search expression. But do you know, that many keyboard, say Scandinavian, local layouts has not this sign natively, so it's quite tricky to input it using Alt-key or some extended keyboard manager. Isn't possible to let a user to use a word "and" as a logical operator or some special (customisable) char instead of the "pipe"?

5. Is it possible to make a strings order sensitive search? This means if a search expression is "cats dogs", only file "cats follow dog steps.txt", but not "dog and a cat moved to china.txt"

6. Every time I click any of the three switches (beginning, cap letters or invert options) the TC dialog "Expand selection" (default hotkey Ctrl+F12) pop-ups and I have extra to press <Escape> to close it. It is intentional behaviour or a bug?

Many thanks in advance!
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

leopoldus wrote:I've started used a lot this great plugin and have gotten a couple of questions. Reading Manual and doing my own tests has solved many my question, but not all. So I'd be appreciated for any help with the following topics.

1. Is it possible to enable/disable these three switches (beginning, cap letters or invert options) by keyboard, if the mouse is not at the hand?

2. The same question for switching search modes: Simple search/RegExp search etc.

3. Is it possible in any mode to search filenames with the string in the beginning of word, which are not the first word of the filename. Say. enter search string "dog" in order to find filenames with words "big dog loves little cats.txt", but not "bulldog loves little cats.txt".

4. Simple search mode uses the sign "pipe" | to separate different parts of the search expression. But do you know, that many keyboard, say Scandinavian, local layouts has not this sign natively, so it's quite tricky to input it using Alt-key or some extended keyboard manager. Isn't possible to let a user to use a word "and" as a logical operator or some special (customisable) char instead of the "pipe"?

5. Is it possible to make a strings order sensitive search? This means if a search expression is "cats dogs", only file "cats follow dog steps.txt", but not "dog and a cat moved to china.txt"

6. Every time I click any of the three switches (beginning, cap letters or invert options) the TC dialog "Expand selection" (default hotkey Ctrl+F12) pop-ups and I have extra to press <Escape> to close it. It is intentional behaviour or a bug?

Many thanks in advance!
Did you give a look to the tcmatch.ini file or at the "change syntax" tab in the
See the general section you can change all the activation KEY. Once configured as you need, you will never use the mouse anymore ;)

1) Begining letter have activation shortcut. Reverse can be done by not operator most of the time. (Caps letter i do not use it for filenane filtering)
2) regex have activation letter
4) And/Or activation letter can be changed
3/5) About order of word, you can use regex expression. (this is my default search)
6) i do not have this ! (but i deactivate the additional window most of the time !)

(What kind of keyboard do you have ? Scandinavian PC keyboard have | accessible with a [AltGr]+[<] )
leopoldus

Post by *leopoldus »

2nsp

Thank you, the picture is now clear enough. I'll try to study tcmacth.ini settings more closely.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

_92 wrote:if you add the attribute to hidden tcmatch.exe
it hangs on tc 8.01rc4 quick search
Please don't hide the file. I will not debug / support such cases. As the source code is available you may do so yourself.
cnnnc wrote:Hi, Samuel.
I found a bug about QuickSearch eXtended:
My host OS is WinXP SP3.
My TC on the host, the path is d:\cmd
My virtualBox OS is WinXP SP3 too, and I make it complete access to the drive D of the host, then I map that as a Z disk, so I can run TC from Z:\cmd.
Example, I'd like to filter a list include string "cmd", so I type "cmd" in z:\cmd, but it seems that TC is freezed, then I have to restart TC.
If I trip off TCmatch.dll or rename it to disable it, and repeat the action as before, then TC still alive.
I don't use VirtualBox myself, so I cannot test it. I assume one of the file system calls fails. (perhaps a bug in Virtualbox) So as bluestar suggests please try again in the latest version of VirtualBox.
leopoldus wrote:I've started used a lot this great plugin and have gotten a couple of questions. Reading Manual and doing my own tests has solved many my question, but not all. So I'd be appreciated for any help with the following topics.

Many thanks in advance!
nsp gave very good answers on this one.

1) case sensitivity may not be changed by keyboard
3) "?(\sdog|^dog)"
5) This is what I initially wanted to avoid. But here you go: "?cats.*dogs"
6) Its a bug. Can you copy the content of your tcmatch.ini and post it here? Do you have write access to the tcmatch directory?
leopoldus

Post by *leopoldus »

As much as I could understand, it is possible to run simultaneously only one instance of the eXtended Search plugin's process tcmatch.exe, even when several instances of Total Commander runs at ones in the system. Am I right?

That's surely fine solution in the aspect of minimizing consumption of system resources. But what. if a user wishes to use eXtended Search plugin with different setting for each instance of TC? When I, say, enable the option "Match onle at beginning..." in the plugin settings in some instance of TC, this changes immediately in other instances of TC too )(well, it's natural, thus the process tcmatch.exe is the same.)

Is there any workaround to use different setting in different TC instances?

Thanks!
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Several instances of TC also share the same settings. I do not plan to support different settings. (technical it should be really hard, because of the API TC uses)

You may create 2 TC installations side by side. (or use different wincmd.ini files with redirected tcmatch.exe files) Then it may be possible to use a different set of settings.

BTW: Is there really a usecase for this?
leopoldus

Post by *leopoldus »

2Samuel
You may create 2 TC installations side by side. (or use different wincmd.ini files with redirected tcmatch.exe files) Then it may be possible to use a different set of settings
BTW: Is there really a usecase for this?
I'm not sure, that we understand each other completely. Let me explain the problem from the beginning.

For many years I always run simultaneously 2 different TC instances (for my job and for personal needs), each of them has its own totally different settings and "lives" in its own folder with the full set of plugins and add-ons.
Well, suppose, that you change some setting of your plugin in one of TC instances, say, enable the option "Match onle at beginning..." But when you got to the other TC instance, we'll see, that this option is enabled there as well! Than you might wish to disable it there, so when you'll come back to the first TC instance, it has this option disabled too.
Is it normal behavior or may be I have done somethin wrong ib my system?

However I agree, that it is far not the matter of the first priority. It's not so comfortable, but I can live with it ;)
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

I do not plan to improve the plugin in this limitation. As the source is available you may do so yourself.
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

Hi,

just trying out QSX found I something odd with the QSX Gui position.
Screenshot here:
http://s13.postimage.org/88mvwf5nb/2012_12_08_125957.png

When I have a maximised TC window it works OK, but 90% of the time I work in a smaller TC window, positioned right of center, with the RIGHT TC window border close to the RIGHT side of my monitor.

Now when I use QSX, only the 1st half of the GUI is visible. I tried searching this thread and the documentation for position but it seems you can not alter the position of the QSX GUI.

I suggest to add some math rules when calculation the GUI position so it can never "fall off" the screen OR by allowing the user to define a prefered position below/above left/right of the TC QS.

Apart from that: very nice tool!
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Sorry I do not plan to support several places where the gui might appear. But as the source is available you may adjust the position in AHK yourself:

Code: Select all

showQSX:
 Gui 2:Default
 Gui,hide
 Gui 1:Default
 WinGetPos,posX,posY,posDX,posDY,ahk_class TQUICKSEARCH
 GoSub LoadIni
 posX:=posX+posDX+5
 if(INI_one_line_gui==0){
  posy:=posy-25
  gui,Show,X%posX% Y%posY% w183 h50 NoActivate
 }else{
  if(INI_show_presets==1){
   gui,Show,X%posX% Y%posY% w361 h24 NoActivate
  }else{
   gui,Show,X%posX% Y%posY% w224 h24 NoActivate
  }
 }
 QSvisible=1
 QSDelay=0
return
BTW: Beside the visual glitch, there is no difference in the functional part of the gui. You may still use the dropdowns.
X-Byte

Post by *X-Byte »

There seems to be an issue with the location of the tcmatch.ini file.
When it's placed in the Total Commander application directory, Quicksearch Extended works.

When I move the tcmatch.ini file to the location where my wincmd.ini is located and restart Total Commander, Quicksearch Extended doesn't start up at all.

Moving the tcmatch.ini back to the Total Commander application directory and restarting TC, everything is working again.

My TC directory is writeable for Quicksearch Extended, so maybe QE is looking for a tcmatch.ini in the TC directory, doesn't find one but still doesn't try to create one as QE found the tcmatch.ini in the wincmd.ini directory. Still fails to start under that condition?

Samuel, could you have a look at that please?