FS-plugin: VirtualDisk

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

rainer.wendland
I'm not sure. There is another open source project ImDisk, but I did not look into it. In any case, even if it emulates physical device, changing the plugin to use another driver would require too much effort.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Pismo Mount Audit package can mount iso's among a slew of other things
1) Zip a folder, e.g. a huge game; Mount the Zip file as a folder
---> Files can be changed when mounted.
2) Create a PismoMountFolder, mount it as an unlimited RAM drive.
---> When unmounted changed contents are preserved.
3) Mount an iso.

Among other uses.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@Flint:
Any chance for a plugin version which has read-only mode flag set by default? I just managed to nuke my first image file. Got a backup though... ;)
This account is for sale
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

icfu
This plugin is just one of numerous ways for accessing/modifying image files. Defaulting it to read-only would only annoy users, but won't prevent corrupting the image by any other means (like hex editors, delete operations or even other image mount applications). I think, in your situation it is better to set read-only attribute to the image itself: then attempt to mount it in read-write mode will simply fail (and it will also give the image additional protection from other accidental modifications and removal).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

but won't prevent corrupting the image by any other means (like hex editors, delete operations or even other image mount applications)
If it's mounted read-only it can still be modified? Interesting, didn't know that.
I think, in your situation it is better to set read-only attribute to the image itself
This will do for old images at least. For new ones I have to remind myself.

Thanks.
This account is for sale
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

icfu wrote:If it's mounted read-only it can still be modified? Interesting, didn't know that.
I didn't mean modifying it after mounting via VirtualDisk but working with the image file itself using other applications: direct editing in hex editors, mounting with other image mouting tools, or even accidental overwriting by another file when copying.
icfu wrote:This will do for old images at least. For new ones I have to remind myself.
As well as remind yourself to avoid corrupting it by any other way except VirtualDisk. If you wish you can use some external script to set this checkbox automatically as soon as the dialog is opened, I won't put any obstacles to that (consciously, at least). In the meantime I'll think about adding a global option for preferring read-only mounting by default, but I cannot promise anything yet.

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Totally got you wrong then... Sorry. Indeed I was only talking about mounting in TC, not other applications.
In the meantime I'll think about adding a global option for preferring read-only mounting by default, but I cannot promise anything yet.
Thanks, maybe you'll find the time. Until then AHK. ;)
This account is for sale
wwj402

Post by *wwj402 »

; About box
57=Ok

cannt translate?
kes

Post by *kes »

Flint wrote:Forumposter
I really like this plugin, but it does not seem to work with DVDDecrypter (
I often mount DVD Isos so I can load them into DVDDecrypter as drive to rip the DVD as it would be inserted in my DVD-Rom.
The TC Drives do not appear in DVDDecrypter, please fit that.
I didn't use this tool, but as you describe it, it seems that DVDDecrypter reads the system list of the devices, not of the logical drives. Sorry, but at present such programs cannot see the new drive created by the plugin. It is planned for the future, but I still don't have enough time to find out how to make it... :(
:(
And it still does not work with dvddecrypter or imgburn. Shame.
Olfert

windows 10 support?

Post by *Olfert »

Does Virtualdisk work with Windows 10 (64bit)?
thomasmolover

Re: windows 10 support?

Post by *thomasmolover »

Olfert wrote:Does Virtualdisk work with Windows 10 (64bit)?

Yes, it CAN, I use it always
Hacker

Re: FS-plugin: VirtualDisk

Post by *Hacker »

How do I uninstall the driver, please?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2Hacker
Try

Code: Select all

net stop VD_FileDisk
sc delete VD_FileDisk
del %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\vd_filedisk.sys
del %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\drivers\vd_filedisk.sys
(on an elevated CMD of course)

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

I haven't tried the plugin/tool, nor uninstalling it, but looking at the contents and what the !ReadMe_eng.txt from the tool says:
If you don't have the "Install" command in the context menu of the INF-file, you can install the driver manually:
copy the vd_filedisk.sys file into the \Windows\system32\drivers\ directory,
then import the file vd_filedisk.reg into the registry by double-clicking it, and restart the computer.
i think you should do the opposite ;)

So I think:
  • Set the startup type of the service to manual and stop the service and then delete

c:\Windows\system32\drivers\vd_filedisk.sys
  • In the registry delete the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VD_FileDisk
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Dalai,
Appreciated!

white,
Indeed, thank you, basically same as Dalai wrote.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.