"Segoe UI" font is really really BAD idea

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

- Reverted back to "Microsoft Sans Serif" font for existing installations (the new font Segoe UI Semibold can be set manually)
TC 8.50 beta 6 -> nothing changed. Proof: http://iceimg.com/zcbOEFx5/clip424.png
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
sztihamer

Post by *sztihamer »

MaxX wrote:
- Reverted back to "Microsoft Sans Serif" font for existing installations (the new font Segoe UI Semibold can be set manually)
TC 8.50 beta 6 -> nothing changed. Proof: http://iceimg.com/zcbOEFx5/clip424.png
ghisler(Author) wrote:TC 8.5 b6 is now writing UseNewDefFont=1 if [Configuration] section doesn't exist, otherwise UseNewDefFont=0.
Not confirmed. Works as expected. For new installations you will get the new font. It's only for updates. Personally the new font looks really good.
My other post: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=272720#272720
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2MaxX
If you ever saved the font by going to page Configuration - Options - Fonts, then the saved font will be used, not the default font. TC will revert to Microsoft Sans Serif only if the font wasn't saved.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
f you ever saved the font by going to page Configuration - Options - Fonts, then the saved font will be used, not the default font. TC will revert to Microsoft Sans Serif only if the font wasn't saved.
It really works as MaxX described in beta 6. The font for dialogboxes is the old when starting with a fresh ini file.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The font for dialog boxes has never been bold, so I'm keeping it as it was in TC 8.0x. I didn't change it to Segoe UI either in previous beta versions. The change was ONLY to the main window and file lists, where I switched from bold to semibold. There are no plans to change this.
MarcinW
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MarcinW »

There is one argument for Microsoft Sans Serif: file/directory sizes with same number of digits has same width in pixels. With Segoe UI, sizes 18 117 and 28 648 have totally different width.

Regards
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

I find Segoe a much better font than Sans Serif. However I must agree, that its semibold variant may be wrongly rendered on some displays (like mine). That's why I use its bold form for main window and file lists and regular for dialogs.

But to be honest, I don't see what's all the fuzz about. I believe that an application should follow the system's UI guidelines and that applies to font as well. If someone really hated the system-wide font so much, I'm sure he would change it on an OS level, not just in one application. Therefore, TC should by default use whatever system font is set.

2MarcinW
That's one of several misfeatures of the semibold font variant. Its normal and bold form produce nicely aligned groups of digits.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
The font for dialog boxes has never been bold, so I'm keeping it as it was in TC 8.0x. I didn't change it to Segoe UI either in previous beta versions. The change was ONLY to the main window and file lists, where I switched from bold to semibold. There are no plans to change this.
I just don't see the point in using different fonts _families_. This is a change compared to TC < 8.5. I guess no-one requested to make this font bold.
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

With Segoe UI, sizes 18 117 and 28 648 have totally different width.
One more way reason NOT to use this ugly font by default.
Arial, Tahoma, Verdana... Even Times New Roman (!) does NOT have such a problem.
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC 8.5 only uses it in the main window - it still uses Microsoft Sans Serif non-bold in the dialog boxes. I just don't like Microsoft Sans Serif non-bold in the main program, it's a bit too thin when you come from Microsoft Sans Serif bold.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Maybe my last post wasn't clear enough. I will try to explain my point in a different way.

In TC 8.0 and earlier we had the following:
Filelist font: Microsoft Sans Serif, 8, bold
Main window font font: Microsoft Sans Serif, 8, bold
Dialogbox font font: Microsoft Sans Serif, 8

Summary: Same font used (but different font weights)

Filelist font: Segoe UI, 9, semibold
Main window font font: Segoe UI, 9, semibold
Dialogbox font font: Microsoft Sans Serif, 8

Summary: Different fonts used (and different font weights)
ZoSTeR
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ZoSTeR »

Please note that the Segoe SemiBold font changed from Win 7 to Win 8.1.

The numbers are not aligned anymore.

Get yourself the Win7 (v5.0) "seguisb.ttf" file, rename it to "seguisb_v5.ttf" and install it to override the Win8.1 (v5.32) version.

I've been using Segoe SB on Win7 for quite some time and was suprised how f*dup it looks under Win8.1 (in TC atleast).