TotalCmd app v2.04 just mass deleted int and ext storage

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

BBB

TotalCmd app v2.04 just mass deleted int and ext storage

Post by *BBB »

Love the app and am a proud paying supporter of the windows version.

v2.04 from the google store just mass deleted my files on the phone.

Some details:

Motorola Razr Maxx HD
System : 9.30.1.XT926
Android : 4.1.2
Rooted.

Total Commander 2.04
Root Everywhere checked.
Had a number of the plugins installed but wasn't using them at the time.

I had been editing an app file in the filesystem\data\data\... and also copied the file to the downloads directory. Upon browsing to the Downloaded files folder and selecting a number of files within the directory. Hit the delete button. This is where I noticed it taking a long time. I waiting for a number of seconds and eventually forced close the app. When I started total commander back up and went to the downloads directory, I noticed the files selected where still present. However, all the other files in the directory were missing. Odd. Well, further inspection revealed that my external sdcard directory structure was present but all the files are missing. Then I began looking at the internal storage and again noticed all the directories being present and most of the files being gone. I did find some files, but I think that is because I forced close the app before it completed.

Hopefully I provided enough information to help isolate this issue.

Thanks,

BBB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You write that you deleted files under /data/data. Do you remember what program data you tried to delete? It could be that an app in there created file system links (symbolic links or hard links) to the root of your cards to gain access to it. This would explain why deleting a folder under "data" would delete files elsewhere.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
BBB

Post by *BBB »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You write that you deleted files under /data/data. Do you remember what program data you tried to delete? It could be that an app in there created file system links (symbolic links or hard links) to the root of your cards to gain access to it. This would explain why deleting a folder under "data" would delete files elsewhere.
copied a backup copy from /data/data/... to 'downloaded files' folder
edited a file in /data/data/...
was satisfied with the edit and swiped back to 'downloaded files' side

In the 'downloaded files' folder to delete the backup copy and a few other files in 'downloaded files' folder. Hit delete.

Was files
com.outfit7.mytalkingtomfree/shared_prefs/com.outfit7.mytalkingtomfree.xml
and
com.outfit7.mytalkingtomfree/files/vca.db

BBB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's the full path of this "downloaded files"? There is no such folder on Android. There is a "downloads" folder.
BBB

Post by *BBB »

Upon app start-up, there is a list that has one titled, "Downloaded files". It has small print that states "/storage/sdcard0/download".

BBB
siealex

Post by *siealex »

Hadn't you accidentally deleted /data/media? On most phones it is the same folder as /sdcard.

PS. Do you use any APP2SD programs?
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
BBB

Post by *BBB »

siealex wrote:Hadn't you accidentally deleted /data/media? On most phones it is the same folder as /sdcard.

PS. Do you use any APP2SD programs?
No. I outlined the steps taken.

No APP2SD programs used.

BBB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I still don't know how this could happen - TC also shows exactly what it will delete BEFORE starting the delete operation, so you shouldn't have deleted that by accident. All I can imagine for now is the presence of file system links going to the root of the cards...