+TC8.51b4: problem with icons

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Skif_off

+TC8.51b4: problem with icons

Post by *Skif_off »

Don't display all icons for the all registered files. For example: http://rghost.ru/53193360/image.png
If I click on the file, it will display the correct icon. Or go to the directory again.
And directory Windows looks like a shared folder http://rghost.ru/53192433/image.png
I tried to change options in Configuration/Icons: nothing has changed.

Win7x64
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Confirm both problems in 8.51β4 x64.

In 32-bit version I could reproduce only the "shared Windows". With the "unregistered icons" situation is a bit different: icons for those files which looked "unregistered" in x64, at first do look "unregistered" in 32-bit version as well, but very quickly (less than 0,5 sec) their icons are redrawn and become normal. The other icons in the same dir (those which looked normal in x64) look normal as well in 32-bit from the very beginning (well, maybe they are redrawn too, but then it's done so quickly I cannot notice).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
a_flying_visit

Post by *a_flying_visit »

Confirm. TCb4 x64, Windows 7.
krasusczak

Post by *krasusczak »

Maybe this have something relate with your rights for this files?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

krasusczak
I suppose, it's just side-effect of the following changes:
19.03.14 Added: Also load per extension icons in a (separate) background thread to avoid slowdowns when scrolling (e.g. due to Windows Defender) (32/64)
14.03.14 Added: Use NetShareEnum to get list of all shared folders (if user has admin rights) to speed up loading of shared folder icons (32/64)
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Additional information from another user on the Russian forum:

On WinXP the icons are not redrawn at all (tested with original TC icons and with an external DLL):
http://s1.directupload.net/images/140320/6luu28lk.png
http://s14.directupload.net/images/140320/jnzdu9ce.png
The Windows directory is NOT displayed as shared.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Skif_off wrote:Don't display all icons for the all registered files.
This seems to happen only immediately after TC starts, and only in the right panel - can you confirm it?
Skif_off wrote:And directory Windows looks like a shared folder
NetShareEnum does report the Windows directory as shared - seems to be some special administrative share not visible to users. I will try to find out what is going on.
Flint wrote:On WinXP the icons are not redrawn at all
Thanks for the screenshots - the problem isn't Windows XP, but the icon size 32x32 - that doesn't seem to work. I will check it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Skif_off

Post by *Skif_off »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This seems to happen only immediately after TC starts, and only in the right panel - can you confirm it?
No, all icons appear only if I go to the directory again or after scrolling (if possible), or if I carefully click on each file without icons, or after call cm_Rereadsource, or if I click on any file in the opposite panel.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
Skif_off wrote:Don't display all icons for the all registered files.
This seems to happen only immediately after TC starts, and only in the right panel - can you confirm it?
No, I've got this behavior also in the left panel, and not only after TC starts, but while navigating directories and switching between tabs (again, both in left and right panels).
ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks for the screenshots - the problem isn't Windows XP, but the icon size 32x32 - that doesn't seem to work.
Seems to be it. In the meantime another user who uses 16x16 icons, reported that on WinXP he has the same behavior with the "unregistered icons" that I observed in Win7.

Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

ghisler(Author) wrote:NetShareEnum does report the Windows directory as shared - seems to be some special administrative share not visible to users.
It's \\server\admin$

-

I just spent few minutes going though different directories, trying to find some pattern for this, but it seems completely random. There's about 1 in 20 chance that when I enter new directory, some icons will be missing. When the file line gets redrawn (when I click on it, or if I just switch from TC to another program, while still keeping TC's panel visible), icon appears. It's not related to Windows theme, it happens with both Classic and Aero (Windows 7). It happens also with clean ini.

Could it perhaps be some timing problem, i.e. icon extraction in background thread being too fast and returning result before TC is ready for it? Because when it happens that some files of same type do have icons and some don't (e.g. in directory full of jpegs), missing icons are always those at the beginning.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

After checking the code, I found the reason why it doesn't work in 64-bit version: I defined the Windows message incorrectly:
wm_refreshiconbyext=221;
instead of
wm_refreshiconbyext=wm_user+221;

Unfortunately Lazarus filters out all Windows messages below wm_user, so Total Commander 64-bit never gets the notifications that the icons have been extracted and can be displayed! Therefore they only show up when you move the text cursor.

I will fix it in beta 5.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Tianuchka

WIN XP 32 SP3 RUS TC 8.51B4 Icons Problem

Post by *Tianuchka »

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

ghisler(Author) wrote:NetShareEnum does report the Windows directory as shared - seems to be some special administrative share not visible to users. I will try to find out what is going on.
It is the administrative Admin$ share. :wink:
You can make administrative networkshares visible in T.C. and then navigate to \\localhost. You will see C$, D$, E$ etc depending on how many drives your machine has got and Admin$.
Last edited by karlchen on 2014-03-22, 20:57 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: WIN XP 32 SP3 RUS TC 8.51B4 Icons Problem

Post by *karlchen »

Tianuchka wrote:I've got the same Icons problem on WIN XP 32 SP3 RUS.
[img]http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/9825/18527241.0/0_c9033_364e5cf3_XXXL.jpg[/img]
Yes. A few posts above Flint had reported so for WinXP. :wink:
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

8.51β5, both issues seem to be fixed. 32x32 icons are displayed correctly as well.