-superfluous password input (8.5rc2)

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JFierce7

-superfluous password input (8.5rc2)

Post by *JFierce7 »

Hi,

I open a password protected rar archive (issue may not be limited to rar) - enter the password, can browse the archive.

Now I want to copy/unpack something from this archive. TC asks again for the password, which IMO is superfluous and could easily become nerving.

Well, yes, there's a checkmark to remember the password. But this does not seem right. I don't want the password to be remembered until program end. I simply don't want to enter the password of the already opened archive again.

BTW, the archive can be opened again without needing to enter the password again, even if "remember" had not been checked. Is this expected behaviour?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The first password is for reading the names, the second is for extracting the files.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JFierce7

Post by *JFierce7 »

Okay - but in the vast majority both passwords will be the same. Why not treat it like that (at least try)?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, it was like this before for e.g. ZIP: Try to unpack a single file, and then a second one -> you will be asked for the password twice. That's why I added the checkbox to remember the password (which is a security risk).
JFierce7

Post by *JFierce7 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Try to unpack a single file, and then a second one
That's not the problem - actually it is that I try to unpack a file while it is open for browsing: copy files from the archive that is open on the left side into a folder opened on the right side. Maybe this wasn't obvious enough from the report.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This wasn't supported at all in TC 8. What I wanted to say is that TC8 didn't cache passwords either, so you had to re-enter them too for every file unpacked or viewed separately.

Btw, you can unpack the archive with Alt+F9 (or via main menu) directly without entering it.
JFierce7

Post by *JFierce7 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This wasn't supported at all in TC 8.
Actually, I wasn't aware of this at the moment. But doesn't this "prove" (:-)) the bug for the new version?
ghisler(Author) wrote:Btw, you can unpack the archive with Alt+F9 (or via main menu) directly without entering it.
Yes - but I would've to enter the password twice again, if I wanted to look into it before unpacking. Or I would need to unpack all files even if I only need one.
lancelot

Post by *lancelot »

The fact that this thread is in "TC Behaviour which will not be changed" is not very inspiring.

In WinRar (at least by default) you have to enter the password every time you open the archive but do not have to reenter the password to extract files from the opened archive. I agree with JFierce7 that WinRar's behavior is much more convenient and probably more consistent.

I was hoping that with TC 8.50 I wouldn't have to open WinRar at all 99% of the time but this feature makes the TC archive support much less useful (I have to copy the password to the clipboard first and then paste it twice).

Alt-F9 is not quite good enough, because I want to see the files to be extracted.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, that's why there is a checkbox now to remember the password...
lancelot

Post by *lancelot »

I think there is still a flaw in the current design. Suppose I have Remember password checked. I finish working with one archive and I open another archive with a different password (and unencrypted file names). It lets me open the archive, select a file and start unpacking without asking for the password. Then in some cases it reaches the end of a large file and only then detects that the password is wrong (when the CRC check fails, I assume). Obviously, the time spent unpacking is wasted.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

lancelot wrote:I think there is still a flaw in the current design. Suppose I have Remember password checked. I finish working with one archive and I open another archive with a different password (and unencrypted file names). It lets me open the archive, select a file and start unpacking without asking for the password. Then in some cases it reaches the end of a large file and only then detects that the password is wrong (when the CRC check fails, I assume). Obviously, the time spent unpacking is wasted.
And you will always find a situation that may no be handled as you like.
But so what, its fine as it is now for most of us.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Horst.Epp,
And you will always find a situation that may no be handled as you like.
But so what, its fine as it is now for most of us.
:roll:

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
MarcinW
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MarcinW »

As far as I know, only for RAR archives an invalid password can be detected only after the unpacking process. For other archives this should be detected immediately.