TC hangs browsing a folder containing backtick (`) in name

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

arcaartem

TC hangs browsing a folder containing backtick (`) in name

Post by *arcaartem »

If a folder name contains a backtick in it's name, TotalCommander fails to open it if you try to browse that folder. Sometimes nothing happens and I can move on to other folders but occasionally I'd get the "Getting contents" popup which never goes away and I have to kill the task.

This happens only on folders located on the external SD card. I can navigate similar folders on internal memory.

I can consistently reproduce the issue as follows:
- Launch TotalCommander
- Click 'Home' icon
- Select SD-card /storage/extSdCard
- Create a new folder: test`folder
- Click on folder 'test`folder'

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android version 4.4.2 - rooted)
SD Card: Sandisk 64GB
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The problem seems to be the root - the backtick has a special meaning on Linux/Android command lines.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
_arcaartem_

Post by *_arcaartem_ »

Anything that's enclosed in a backtick under a Linux/Android/MacOs shell gets executed and replaced with it's output before passing control to the parent statement. This is called command substitution under Linux.

The Linux/MacOs/Android shell allows creation of files or folders with backtick and many other special characters simply by escaping it with a backslash or enclosing it in quotation marks. Similarly one can open/navigate such file/folder by escaping or quoting the name.

Besides, other file managers on Android are able to handle it properly. I have a folder named 'O`Reilly' and both the bundled file editor as well as the Ez File manager are able to open without any issues. I have other apps that are also able to read that folder so this is clearly an issue with TotalCommander for Android.

Yes, I can remove the backtick from the folder name easily and my problem will be gone and I wouldn't have a second thought about it but that's not the point.

The information above is readily available with a simple google search. I can appreciate being busy but hearing the author of one of the well regarded software in my circle to dismiss this simple issue ever so easily without giving it a second thought is very disappointing and it just plain lazy...