LAN plugin: New beta version available

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jdegreef

Post by *jdegreef »

Hi,

This new plugin (b4) fix a problem I had which was my reason to register here today.
Searching on "lan plugin" I discovered this thread and tested the new plugin.

With the lan plugin from the Play Store I was unable to write to my external sd card on my new Moto G 4G (peregrine, xt1039) from my computer.
The lan plugin was giving a write error message.
I never had this problem with any of my other phones/tablets.
With the new plugin b4 it works without problem.

For information :

log from Play store version (copy failed)

Code: Select all

2014-09-04 17:08:40 LAN:Télécharger un fichier
log from b4 version (copy succeed)

Code: Select all

2014-09-04 17:15:33 LAN:SMB: jdegreef@192.168.0.100...
2014-09-04 17:16:00 LAN:Télécharger un fichier
2014-09-04 17:16:00 LAN:SMB: jdegreef@192.168.0.100...
2014-09-04 17:16:02 LAN:Copié: /Downloads/PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.7.exe -> /storage/sdcard1/PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.7.exe, 837843 bytes, 689.8 kbytes/s
I have a logcat of the problem but I don't know how to post it as it's big and we cannot attach files here, afaik.

I jump on the occasion to thanks all people that have worked on this software, one of the first I install on every machine I use. Is there a washing machine version somewhere ? :D
angryjack

Post by *angryjack »

I'm using TC beta 4 accessing our Small Business Server in the company with the LAN plugin.

Neither the standard plugin from PlayStore nor older betas of the LAN plugin can connect except latest b5 version of the plugin. Unfortunately i does take a long time (30-60 secs.) till the connection is established and each navigation to a subfolder will again take the same long time.

Any hint ?

angryjack
jdegreef

Post by *jdegreef »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Another new beta version of the LAN plugin is available now:
tcandroidlan207b5.apk

This version has two improvements:
1. Read large directories (several 1000 files) - this didn't work due to a 1MB inter-process communication limit on Android (between plugins and TC)
2. Reading large directories should be much faster now. The JCIFS library is flawed, it re-requests all the file details when reading them (file size, file timestamp, file attributes) instead of using those from the listFiles() command. This was fixed.
Due to previous post by angryjack, I just discovered there is b5 (on page 2 of this thread). Shouldn't the opening post be updated with it ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2jdegreef
Updated! Actually there is beta 7 now!

2angryjack
This is very odd, sounds like some kind of timeout to me. Could it be that the name lookup returns multiple IP addresses, and the first one doesn't work? What happens when you enter the IP address of the server instead of the name?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
angryjack

Post by *angryjack »

Yes, seems that it is only with the SBS in our company. Yesterday evening i did connect to the NAS on my FritzBox and that did run fine w/o delay.

In the beginning with the standard TC and the plugin from Playstore it worked also fine on the SBS w/o delay. Actually i don't want to delete the betas as i would not have write access to my SD card then...

Is there any way to check if the name lookup returns multiple IP addresses...i'm not a Windows expert... ?

EDIT: after i have installed b7 the access to our SBS works fine :-) Will monitor this in the next days.

best regards
angryjack
jdegreef

Post by *jdegreef »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2jdegreef
Updated! Actually there is beta 7 now!
Hum...
My post : Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:54 am
Your update of the OP : Last edited by ghisler(Author) on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:48 am
:D

On my way with b7, thanks for the good work.
mysteray

Post by *mysteray »

It appears to me that what you said cannot be entirely correct. I reformatted my SD card and it now works like a charm.
I can copy, move and delete on/to the SD card via the LAN plugin pane directly with the ghistler folder as target. So the LAN plugin seems to be viewed as part of Total Commander by the Android system.
ghisler(Author) wrote:No, it is not possible. Why? The LAN plugin is a separate app, so it has its own protected directory on the SD-Card. Android does not allow it to write to the Total Commander directory.
jcasares

Post by *jcasares »

2014-11-11 16:30:25 LAN:SMB: xxx\jcasares@192.168.79.11...
2014-11-11 16:30:25 LAN:Error connecting to server!
Reported error:
pthread_create (stack size 16384 bytes) failed: Try again

I get this when trying to connect to a computer share randomly. The computer is on a domain and running Windows 7. After I get this error I get it also with other servers/storages as well.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like the process is running out of memory. What are you trying to do? Download 10000s of small files?
jcasares

Post by *jcasares »

Upload just a couple of files (less than 10). Photos that are not larger than 5MB each.

Had to start using Solid Explorer that was stable doing this. Strange as I didn't have issues before. Changed phone and so reinstalled the application and this issue appeared.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

How much RAM does your new phone have?
jcasares

Post by *jcasares »

3GB of RAM (a One Plus One phone).

I found that changing the domain from old netbios name to new format fixed the issues I had. Quite strange. I had MTN and now I use MTN.local. It could be because both my phone change and changing from Windows Server 2003 to 2008 R2 at my work happened almost at the same time.

I also disabled WiFi optimizations that could lead to a more stable connection, even when I didn't have WiFi disconnections with it on.

Another issue that I didn't report it before is with playing videos from TC with an SMB connection. When you seek past half the file the playing ends prematurely. Videos should be longer than a minute for the test to work.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for your report. What video format?
jcasares

Post by *jcasares »

FLV or MP4.

AVI, MKV and WMV seem not to be streaming friendly and they hang when I seek. Could be the same as the others but instead of closing the player they don't seek and stay frozen.

I need to test them on the other app now. Will report back when I'm able to.
jcasares

Post by *jcasares »

I finally was able to do the tests.

Tried with both Solid Explorer and FX (File Explorer) file managers. Both had these results:

AVI: seek took a while to restart but it worked.
FLV: seek was fast and the player was never closed.
MKV: seek took a while to restart but it worked.
MP4: seek was fast and the player was never closed.
WMV: seek took a while to restart but it worked.

As I said before I'm using MX Player for playing all these formats.