USB OTG: how to drag and drop files between drives?

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Mike Box

USB OTG: how to drag and drop files between drives?

Post by *Mike Box »

I have just bought a Lenovo S8-50 Android Tablet, principally to use on a foreign trip to (hopefully) download photo files (RAW) onto a portable HD. I have installed Total Commander and also Paragon NTFS plug-in onto the tablet and can see (and edit) files on the external drive (connected to tablet via USB OTG cable) but am falling at the first hurdle as I can't work out how to drag and drop files between drives.
When I do a long press on a folder (in either of the 2 panels)the drop down list I get does not include any obvious copy / paste options - only "send to" and "send to */*" which I cannot get to work. I am struggling as I have not found any sort of help screens, and please excuse my ignorance but I have no prior knowledge of Android O/S, only MS Windows.
I understand that some functions may be impossible without the tablet being "rooted" but would like to know particularly whether I should be able to copy files from the internal memory (microSD card) of the tablet to the portable HD (Seagate Back Up Plus Slim 1TB) WITHOUT having to resort to getting the tablet "rooted".
Many thanks - if anyone can please clarify any of the above for me I will be grateful. Mike Box

Origin subject: Cant find Help for TotalCommander-Lenovo S8-50(Android tab)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please set the source folder in one panel, then swipe sideways to the other panel and set the target. Now you can select some files/folders by tapping on their icons, and copy them with the blue "copy" button at the bottom.

When you long tap on a button, it will show you the command.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Mike Box

Post by *Mike Box »

Thanks for clarifying the process. It is clear now I have found where I need to press - on the thumbnail for the photos.
But are there any help screens as such for Total Commander? (I am sure there is much more I need to learn)
It seems however that I still cannot use the tablet for what I intended as the tablet does not recognise any card readers - although it does recognise both "thumb drives" (FAT32) and the portable 1TB HD (NTFS) - unless anyone can advise me otherwise?
The SD / CF cards inserted into the card reader and connected to the tablet via the OTG cable just do not show up in Total Commander (or any other file management programmes)

If anyone knows how I might be able to get around this I would be most grateful. Thanks Mike Box
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This should definitely work!

1. does the same OTG cable work with thumb drives, or do you use a different one?
2. Is this a multiple slot card reader? This may confuse Android because there would be one drive per slot. Best are the cheap "one type only" card readers, I use them too with my Nexus 7...
Mike Box

Post by *Mike Box »

Thanks for prompt response.

I only have the one OTG cable which works OK with 2GB and 8GB thumb drives and also with the 1TB portable HD (with the NTFS plug-in)

Both the card readers are however "multi" readers. I take your point and will get an up to date single card reader and see if that can be read.

However having also checked the Lenovo Forum, another post there suggests it is a shortcoming of the tablet. Indeed having looked at several photographers' forums, it seems that there is a general lack of connectivity to external devices on many (if not MOST) tablets without the devices having first been "rooted" - a process I am not contemplating as (a) outside my sphere of knowledge (b) risky as could "brick" the phone / invalidate warranty.
Although a reply from the Lenovo forum says that they CAN view card readers from their "cheap Japanese tablet" and also from their MotoG phone.

Didn't your Nexus 7 have to be "rooted" to allow the cards to be seen by the tablet? (One photographer's site stated he had to "root" his Nexus7 to do so.)

I feel I am banging my head against a brick wall somewhat! - All I want the tablet for is to (1) download cards from SD / CF card reader, (2) transfer to HD (3) view the RAW files when on the HD.

And so far I have only solved (1)!!

Regards, Mike Box
Mike Box

Post by *Mike Box »

In last post I meant that I have only solved (2)

(1) and (3) still have me puzzled.

Sorry for any confusion!
Mike Box

Post by *Mike Box »

Here is an update.

I picked up from an old internet posting that sometimes memory cards can only be recognised if they are connected prior to the PC being switched on.

Having tried that I have now managed to get the tablet to "see" both SD and CF cards - but bizarrely one multi card reader only works with SD and the other one only with CF cards.

But at least I can now hopefully transfer photo files from both types of card to the tablet whilst I am away.

I can also transfer files OK (thanks to your programme) to the external HD, so there is now only point (3) for me to solve - how to view the RAW files on the tablet once they are on the external HD. (Which point I realise is probably outside the scope of this forum!)

Many thanks for your help.

(In case anyone else has the same issue, the card reader that reads SD cards OK is an old Duracell model from 2008 which I got from 7Day Shop a few years ago:-

http://www.itechnews.net/2008/10/28/duracell-flash-memory-and-card-reader/

The one that reads CF cards is however a current PNY model - USB 3.0 Card Reader - £14.99 from PC World)

P.S. ARE there any help screens for Total Commander?????????/
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Having tried that I have now managed to get the tablet to "see" both SD and CF cards - but bizarrely one multi card reader only works with SD and the other one only with CF cards.
Maybe it depends on which of the card slots is seen as the first "logical drive"? Often you can only access the first logical drive of the reader. That's why I recommend a single type card reader for this purpose.

Ah, and one more thing: First, put the card in the reader, and then connect the reader to USB.
Mike Box

Post by *Mike Box »

Yes that makes sense. Thank you.

But please let me know how to access the help screens for Total Commander (if there are any)

Thank you.

Mike Box[/b]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Open the menu via menu button/menu key, then tap on "Help (html)". Or tap on "Settings", then on "Help (html)".
Mike Box

Post by *Mike Box »

Many thanks, sorry if it seemed obvious but I am very new to Android O/S.
Mike Box

Post by *Mike Box »

I have encountered a problem with the next stage of the file transfer process.

The RAW files now transfer OK from memory card to the internal micro-SD card in my tablet, (I copied several hundred files in a folder) and can be viewed on the tablet via Photo Mate software.

When I copy the RAW files from the internal micro-SD card to the external HD, via Total Commander / NTFS plug-in, they show up as copied onto the HD (folder and files within) also the available space on the HD reduces by the size of the copied files.

However when I connect the HD to a Windows PC, none of the files (nor folder) show up. (The "show hidden files" option is selected.)

And when I reconnect the HD to the tablet the folder and files no longer appear in the folder for the HD.

Can anyone please explain why I cannot access the files that I put onto the external HD?