It's time to release TC 9.0?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

EricB

Post by *EricB »

First of all: I use Everything on a daily basis, awesome if it would be tightly integrated into TC.

I would like to point out that Everything can also read non-MFT based file systems, but it uses a slower function for that.

In the standalone version: Options -> Indexes -> Folders
Here one can add network drives (like Synology NAS published folders etc). The indexing of these folders can be time-consuming, but it is possible to schedule this.

HTH, regards,

EricB
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Well if Everything can do the same as Locate32 can (same speed or faster) I'm fine with just using Everything as a base.

But is it expandable? As far as I know it's just freeware not open source.

There might be better open source alternatives:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_%28Software%29
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Currently I'm adding support for the "Everything" search dlls, and it really makes a big difference.
That's fantastic, thank you!

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
jjk

Post by *jjk »

That's fantastic, thank you!
+1
Hansl

Post by *Hansl »

I can't think of any big improvements, for me TC is nearing perfect completion… except… I really do miss a Linux port of full-fledged TC !
Where could I buy that feature?

Hans
(Having tried and sometimes using Midnight Commander, Gnome Commander, Double Commander, Tux, Krusader…)
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

ghisler(Author) wrote: Currently I'm adding support for the "Everything" search dlls, ...
- Do you use the indexing capability or the raw ntfs quick search ?
- If index is on, will the indexing could be disabled >

I also redirect you to a one year old discution where you did not put any comment http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=39394

I personally use tfind on my flashdrives because i love console application without engine, services...
seb-
Location: DE\BN - only part time TC user after switching to Linux ;)

Post by *seb- »

Hansl wrote: I really do miss a Linux port of full-fledged TC !
Where could I buy that feature?
(Having tried and sometimes using Midnight Commander, Gnome Commander, Double Commander, Tux, Krusader…)
Same here. I'm really missing a TC equivalent on linux. All similar dual panel file managers that i tried cant compare to TC.
Maybe one day ;)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

nsp wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote: Currently I'm adding support for the "Everything" search dlls, ...
- Do you use the indexing capability or the raw ntfs quick search ?
- If index is on, will the indexing could be disabled >

I also redirect you to a one year old discution where you did not put any comment http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=39394

I personally use tfind on my flashdrives because i love console application without engine, services...
Using TFind without its service requires Admin rights
which leads to Admin rights for all programs started from the results.
Unfortunately the TFind version with a service is no longer compatible with the very useful VTfind.
Currently I switched from Everything to Hddb which is faster in sorting by size and supports more custom actions for the results as Everything.
If TC is supporting Everything I may switch back to it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm using Everything because I don't want to implement my own solution with separate database etc. Everything is called via windows messages and returns the list of files matching the criteria (just the names and paths). TC then has to call FindFirstFile for each file to get the file details. This is still much faster than going through all the subdirs. There will be a checkbox to turn off search with 'Everything'.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
You can still combine the Everything DLL with your own simple sqlite or similar database.
Or is perhaps someone willing to write a tool that would create such a searchable database, filled by WDX plugins?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Hacker wrote:Christian,
You can still combine the Everything DLL with your own simple sqlite or similar database.
Or is perhaps someone willing to write a tool that would create such a searchable database, filled by WDX plugins?

Roman
Whats wrong with using Everything's database ?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
I don't want to implement my own solution with separate database etc.
I'm also against reinventing the wheel but there are plenty of existing solutions out there ready for reuse.
Everything is called via windows messages and returns the list of files matching the criteria
That means in a scenario where you don't filter by name at all (just date or size or whatever) using Everything is as slow as before as you have call FindFirstFile as often as before.
Everything
I wonder how you solve the elevation problem.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Horst.Epp,
Whats wrong with using Everything's database ?
It does not contain metadata from WDX plugins. Of course it is very useful but limited only to what Everything provides. For instance I'd love to search through descript.ions with the same speed Everything provides. (And yes, I can search for descript.ion files that contain a given text, but that's cumbersome.)

Roman
Last edited by Hacker on 2015-02-09, 14:34 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Lefteous wrote:2ghisler(Author)
I don't want to implement my own solution with separate database etc.
I'm also against reinventing the wheel but there are plenty of existing solutions out there ready for reuse.
Everything is called via windows messages and returns the list of files matching the criteria
That means in a scenario where you don't filter by name at all (just date or size or whatever) using Everything is as slow as before as you have call FindFirstFile as often as before.
Everything
I wonder how you solve the elevation problem.
There is no elevation problem with Everything using its service.
I guess most desktop users will install it this way.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Horst.Epp
There is no elevation problem with Everything using its service.
I guess most desktop users will install it this way.
So it seems that I have to install an external 3rd party software in order to search my local disks in a performant way. For many professional users* this means fast searches in their Windows and Program Files folders. All the interesting stuff on the network or even remote where searching is especially slow cannot be found faster.

*I guess we agree that TC a tool for professionals.