Renamed Files show up as folders!

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Puneet Rane

Renamed Files show up as folders!

Post by *Puneet Rane »

Greetings,
Firstly great app with minimal design, lots of features and no unnecessary permissions, keep up the great work.

I am facing a problem on my nexus 9 device which is running on stock android 5.0.1
Renamed Files(e.g. jpgs or mp3s) via Total commander app show up as folders when the device is explored through a windows 7 machine via USB

Here Image: http://i.imgur.com/5nUeQZu.png I renamed the 3rd file "M.O.P. - Ante Up Remix.mp3" and the 4th file "Matt Nathanson - Headphones feat.LOLO.mp3"
This Image: http://i.imgur.com/61FSiNl.png is how they show up when I connect the tablet via USB to my Windows 7 machine.

In windows the properties change to 0bytes and cannot be opened, but in android the file still retains its properties, thumbnails and can be used (opened or played)

I would like to know why this is happening and what is the solution to this problem.

Thanks in Anticipation,
Best Wishes,
Puneet Rane
Last edited by Puneet Rane on 2015-03-31, 08:06 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Puneet Rane

Post by *Puneet Rane »

Is any one else facing the same problem?

Can anyone of you check if you are facing the same problem ?
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi Puneet Rane and welcome.

I can't help with your problem, but now, after been a user for several days already and also posted more than one post, you will be able to post working links to your pictures, if you want to do that again.

And I can't find which TC4Android-Version you use in your post?

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your report. I could not reproduce it with my Samsung (Android 5), but it does indeed happen on the Nexus 7 2012 (Android 5.1). So apparently it's a new bug in stock Android 5.

I will try to find a workaround.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Puneet Rane

Post by *Puneet Rane »

Stefan2 wrote:Hi Puneet Rane and welcome.

I can't help with your problem, but now, after been a user for several days already and also posted more than one post, you will be able to post working links to your pictures, if you want to do that again.

And I can't find which TC4Android-Version you use in your post?

Thank You Stefan2, I have edited the original post to include links to screenshots of tablet and windows 7, visualizing the problem.
ghisler(Author) wrote:Thanks for your report. I could not reproduce it with my Samsung (Android 5), but it does indeed happen on the Nexus 7 2012 (Android 5.1). So apparently it's a new bug in stock Android 5.

I will try to find a workaround.
Thank You ghisler(Author), for the prompt testing and reply, do I need to list the same in a bug list or will you include it so that it can be worked on.
Hope this bug is solved in the upcoming update.

Best Wishes,
Puneet Rane
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I found a solution! It will be in the next beta.

Btw, one user has reported that when he moves a file from one folder to another on the external SD card, it does not show in Explorer on Windows after it was moved. I do not have this problem with any of my devices. Does anyone have this problem too?
Puneet Rane

Post by *Puneet Rane »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I found a solution! It will be in the next beta.

Btw, one user has reported that when he moves a file from one folder to another on the external SD card, it does not show in Explorer on Windows after it was moved. I do not have this problem with any of my devices. Does anyone have this problem too?
Greetings,
I am unable to emulate the external SD card error, as all my android devices are Nexus.
Hence no external SD card only emulated SD Card!

Can any other user test this and report back?

Cheers,
Puneet Rane
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It doesn't happen with my Nexus 7 either, and also not with my two Samsung devices with true external SD cards (one with Android 4.4, and one with Android 5.0).

He has reported that he is using an Asus zenfone 5 with stock Asus Android 4.4. It's rooted and sdfix has been used to make the card writable. My Galaxy S4 mini is also rooted with stock Samsung Android, and sdfix applied. But I do not have the problem with the S4 mini...