Samsung Galaxy phones 'Music' app with TC SD solution?

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gewone

Samsung Galaxy phones 'Music' app with TC SD solution?

Post by *gewone »

Hi guys, does anyone around here own a Samsung phone, S4+ like myself, for instance. I could use some help here. As we all know, stock Android (KitKat and later) on these phones will not allow non-rooted users to directly write files on any external microSDHC card, but Mr. Ghisler had worked out this kind of neat workaround, using an actual subfolder in the /data/ghisler.tc/ portion of the card, which exist as a direct shortcut in Total Commander. This is great, but I'm having one issue.

I often enter my Windoze box over SMB through the fantastic Total Commander LAN plugin, and then take e.g. an MP3 album folder and download it to my Samsung Galaxy S4+, but then it's like the stock music player (which is actually fancy due to it's simplicity) won't scan the /extSdCard/data/ for new media, so all I can do is manually browsing my way to path through TC and then play one specific song (named stock Music app doesn't work with M3U's) and this is really not coming along nice.

I've tried clearing data and cache of the app, getting it to start scanning from the set, but it just won't pick up any files. Also, I haven't come across any disturbing .NoMedia file in any parent directory. It's really weird, all in all. I used to have Samsung's dull file manager disabled but now I'm forced to use it to move MP3 folders to the true SD root, just for 'Music' to fetch them songs.

It would be awesome if someone who actually is reading this and had a Samsung phone could try and reproduce my issue, so then at least I'll know if it's just me, or a generic issue. If it's just the way it is, does anyone have ideas, other than rooting or using another music app?

I've been thinking about using the classic 'ln -a' Linux command to fool the app by placing a symbolic link somewhere it actually reads, but I'm getting access denied in my early attempts on this. Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
gewone

Post by *gewone »

Please disregard this thread. I just stumbled across the v2.60 BETA .apk and installed this manually. This has solved the writing issue all in all, so now things works pretty much as they did back in the good ol' days. Note that this works with Android 5.x (Lollipop) devices, as my own GT-I9506. See the thread below for further explanation.

http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=41086