User defined "button" command: Select files (n00b)

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ycc_swe

User defined "button" command: Select files (n00b)

Post by *ycc_swe »

Hello

How do I construct a user defined "button" command that selects two named files? I have tried a little but I am not allowed to post a screen shot here yet, since I am a new member.

I use Total Commander for Android.

I construct the user defined command by choosing internal command "select" (internal command #110) and input the file names preceded by file:%P as parameters:

file:%Ptmp1.txt
file:%Ptmp2.txt

and variations of this, but I don't get it right.

When I tap the user button command I made, the selection dialogue opens but does not continue. If I continue it manually all files are selected.

I may be mistaken how parameters are used. I can make a few other simple button commands work, though.

But basically I have not really grasped how I should build these "macros" and add more commands to follow the first. What I wish to do with the selected files is to continue with a search within the files, like grep. The search speed of TC is incredible!

Sorry for beginner's question.

Thanks
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, you cannot select files this way. The user defined buttons are used to either start an internal command (without paramaters), or an external program (with already selected files or user defined names as parameters). Why do you want to select files by name? Can't you just pass the names directly to the target program?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ycc_swe

Post by *ycc_swe »

Thanks for taking your time.

I have to keep a bunch of files in one directory. I regularly edit four of them but I often don't know which of these four files I should edit. I therefore often use the "grep search" of TC. (It is the only app I know that does this and its speed is legendary.)

I was just a little lazy. I wanted to press one button and a search panel (grep) should open for the four files I often edit, and I should just enter the search string.

I don't know if my phone is getting old (Galaxy Note 3) but I have an impression that when files approach about 100 Kb size, phones don't handle them so well for text editing. It helps chopping up the material in more files and I wish to search some of them.

Searching the entire directory is not so convenient.

But it is just a small thing. I now see that once I have selected my four files by inputting their names as text (and not just clicking them), they will come back again in the select panel for one press, which simplifies.