Who needs more than 200 items in TC start menu?

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Who needs more than 200 items in TC start menu?

Post by *ts4242 »

If you use Total Commander start menu built-in editor you will never be able to add more than 199 items to the Start menu including separators and submenus entry.

But when i developing my program - Ultra TC Start Menu Editor - i descovered that TC start menu can contain more than this limited items.

:o I have created a Start Menu with 900 empty commands (by code) (empty means a menu name only without any command or parameters) and insert a real commands (TC internal command and external) between all these commands and run Total Commander the program read all of the 900 commands and works very fine!. but it takes more time to start. (This was for testing my program ONLY, and it was very surprise that Total Commander accept all these commands.)

but when trying to use the TC built-in editor it takes the first 199 items only.

I know 200 items is big enough but if you need more why not?

I don't know if there is a technical reason for this limitation. if there please i need to know it. ( I think the wincmd.ini [user] section size must not exceed 32 KB)

any way i will not add this feature without a permission from Mr. Ghisler

Thanks
Clo

Rather useless---

Post by *Clo »

2ts4242
:)  Hello !
• Just some remarks:
* Currently, 222 commands (or so...) are available in <totalcmd.inc>, plus the user's ones if necessary. Among these commands, a large part is affected to the "Left" / "Right" old-style interface (NC-like).
* So, it's normally useless to install both new and old style in TC...
* I use to work very "cool" with only 50 buttons in two bars (including the buttons to switch the bars one another).
• Under Win9x only, any *.INI file size is allowed up to 64 KB; I don't think that a section-size has its own limit within the total file size ... ?
* Under other NT-based OSs (2K - XP), it's unlimited.

:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo 
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Currently, 222 commands (or so...) are available in <totalcmd.inc>,
I know it is from cm_usermenu1 (701) up to cm_list (903)
Among these commands, a large part is affected to the "Left" / "Right" old-style interface (NC-like).
* So, it's normally useless to install both new and old style in TC...
* I use to work very "cool" with only 50 buttons in two bars (including the buttons to switch the bars one another).
excuse me i do not understand what you mean?

• Under Win9x only, any *.INI file size is allowed up to 64 KB; I don't think that a section-size has its own limit within the total file size ... ?
i said that because i made a hundred tests and i notes that when trying to delete [user] section with size greater than 32KB, my program always crash due to illigal operation in KRNL386.exe i'm using WinMe
Thank you