Adding media folders in 2.80 beta series

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

elevengu

Adding media folders in 2.80 beta series

Post by *elevengu »

Absolutely love Total Commander, was excited when I found out it existed on Android!

I just have one big frustration, though. Starting in 2.80b1 with the addition of the "Show ID3 tags if available" option, TC now uses tags to order media files when added more than one at a time (e.g., "Play (background)" or "Add to queue" for folders). The previous behavior ordered based on filenames.

I have a lot of mp3 album folders that have files like:
101 First.mp3 (with ID3 tags of track 1, sometimes disc tag 1)
102 Second.mp3
103 Third.mp3
201 Fourth.mp3 (also with ID3 tag of track 1)
202 Fifth.mp3

Previously, they would be populated in the correct order. Now the order is First, Fourth, Second, Fifth, Third, so I am basically reduced to adding folders by adding each file manually.

What I would prefer is an option, separate from the "Show ID3 tags" option, to add media files based on filename instead of ID3 tags. With all the music I have, it is infeasible and undesirable to retag them all or manually create playlists.

Thanks for your consideration.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You are right, in this special case the sorting would be better by name than by number: TC now sorts by the "track" field of the metadata. I guess that the files "101 First.mp3" and "201 Fourth.mp3" both have the same track number 1, and not track numbers 101 and 201.

I think the best solution would be to use the number from the name if it is >=101 AND all tracks in the directory have a number before the name, otherwise use the number from the tag.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
elevengu

Post by *elevengu »

Thanks, Chris! That would be an acceptable solution. Another possibility would be to use the track metadata if there are no duplicates, otherwise fall back to filename ordering.

This works because I can't think of a practical use case where you would want multiple track 1s followed by multiple track 2s. Even if we were to add folders recursively, we wouldn't want different albums to be mixed together.

At any rate, thanks so much for addressing my need. Looking forward to whatever you decide to implement!
elevengu

Post by *elevengu »

2.80b4 fixed this, so I just wanted to come by to say thanks! :D