Command to access files in the Search Results pane

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wisekat

Command to access files in the Search Results pane

Post by *wisekat »

I open the Find Files dialog (ALT+F7), search for some files, and click the 'Feed to listbox' button. Now I get the list of found files in the 'Search result:' pane displayed instead of the normal file pane. I want to do the following operations with the selected file in the 'Search result:' pane:

1) Open the folder with the selected file in the same pane (go to the selected file).

2) Open the folder that contains the selected file in the other pane.

Does TC provide commands for these operations (from the keyboard, in the menu/toolbar, etc.)?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

wisekat,
1. Ctrl-B.
2. Ctrl-Left/Right.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

Where can I find a comprehensive list of actual keyboard commands including those above?

And are there corresponding TC commands (cm_*) for these commands? I have managed to find cm_TransferLeft for Ctrl+Left (cm_TransferRight for Ctrl+Right).

If we talk about Ctrl+B (cm_DirBranch), it is used for Branch View in the standard interface when we work with the normal file pane. That's funny that this shortcut is used for completely another purpose when we work with the Search Result pane. It's non-intuitive.

It would be nice to have a comprehensive list of TC commands together with corresponding keyboard combinations, especially for special windows or special file panes like Search Result.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

wisekat wrote:Where can I find a comprehensive list of actual keyboard commands including those above?

And are there corresponding TC commands (cm_*) for these commands?
F1 or "Help"-menu
Totalcmd\TOTALCMD.INC
Totalcmd\HISTORY.TXT

wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

Stefan2 wrote:F1 or "Help"-menu
Totalcmd\TOTALCMD.INC
Totalcmd\HISTORY.TXT 
Are you kidding? Please, tell me how to find the help topic that describes all operations in the Search Result pane, including the Ctrl+B and Ctrl+Left/Right shortcuts listed above.

I meant a table that contains actual commands together with corresponding keyboard shortcuts similar to this:

https://shortcutworld.com/en/Total-Commander/8/win/all

Do you think it's a good idea to read History.txt, correct the table from the URL above and do tediuos work by trying to find corresponding commands in TotalCmd.inc??
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi wisekat,

you can use Help > Keyboard to find default shortcuts for TC commands.

You can use TOTALCMD.INC to inspect available TC commands (cm_*)

The CHM-help is not as good as it could be, often you just have to use the search feature (or the Index) of that CHM to find something.

If you miss something there, take a closer look at the HISTORY.TXT where you find many hidden features.
Or search the forum (via Google), the wiki or ask, as you have done.

And yes, it would be a good idea, if you could add missing information to that table from that URL, if that will help you or others in future.

wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

Yes, this is what I am talking about - a comprehensive table that would help a lot all TC users. And I think it must be maintained by the TC author on a Wiki resource. Now all these pieces of information are scattered in different places...
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

wisekat wrote:...And I think it must be maintained by the TC author ...
Not necessarily, you can (every user could) contribute as well. Just modify or create a wiki page.

http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

wisekat

Post by *wisekat »

I am not a TC guru so don't expect I can do quality work. Moreover, I also have my main work and I simply do not have enough time to examine all TC commands and keyboard shortcuts thoroughly - though I'd like to do that. As one of my customers says, I wish I could clone myself ;)
andres992

Post by *andres992 »

Maybe this is of some help:

http://totalcmd.net/plugring/tccommandslist.html

It lists internal commands (apparently from the INC file) in a cleaner format but it does not list the corresponding shortcuts. The shortcuts are basically listed in TC's own Help menu (in Help -> Operation -> Keyboard layout).
#68776 Personal Licence
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

andres992 wrote:Maybe this is of some help:

http://totalcmd.net/plugring/tccommandslist.html.
That tool just displays the content of the Totalcmd\TOTALCMD.INC file.