Delete on Network share: where do the files go?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dragonworks

Delete on Network share: where do the files go?

Post by *dragonworks »

I am using TC on a local HD.All the files I am working with are on our network. When I delete a file it is gone from the network and I don't know where it goes. We have backup, but it is and outside vendor and a pain to get the file or files back. Is there anyway TC can be set to delete the files and dump them into the local HD wastebasket instead of them going to where I don't know? I don't delete the wrong file often, but when I do I have to shlep up to the bosses and ask them to call our backup and get them back.
Thanx in Advance
Jerry
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Files deleted from network drives/shares are just gone. It's the same as a deletion from a local disk via Shift+Del. There's a way to enable the recycle bin on a network share, but that's not easy (on Windows) and something the admins must do. It's up to them whether they want to restore files that are deleted accidentally or to set up recycle bins on the network shares.

Here's a HowTo enable the recycle bin on network shares; it's in German, but I'm sure that either some translation service can help with that, and there are probably HowTos in English or other languages on the internet somewhere.

And BTW: I don't think that TC should save deleted network files locally.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Delete on Network share: where do the files go?

Post by *nsp »

dragonworks wrote:I am using TC on a local HD.All the files I am working with are on our network. When I delete a file it is gone from the network and I don't know where it goes. We have backup, but it is and outside vendor and a pain to get the file or files back. Is there anyway TC can be set to delete the files and dump them into the local HD wastebasket instead of them going to where I don't know? I don't delete the wrong file often, but when I do I have to shlep up to the bosses and ask them to call our backup and get them back.
Thanx in Advance
Jerry
We used to work on network folder also but we turned to use git as backup provider on every sensible folder to prevent such case where you have to call IT to get your file back...
Enabling recycleBin on windows/samba share can be done by IT but have somme drawback.
For me the only way to have local backup when deleting is to move instead of deleting this could be very slow on large file and will only protect your "move" !
dragonworks

Post by *dragonworks »

these are machine code .NC files (text files) that are only used in the machine shop division of the company. If I delete one by mistake I have to either write it over again or call outside. It is not that big of a deal; I thought there might just be an easy way around it. I am in the process of moving all existing files and it would be nice to have.
I will run it by our IT dept but at the moment it is vacant. Our last guy just got married and left for greener pastures. Anyone need a job, Poughkeepsie N.Y.
The company is MPI, you can find it on line.
Thanx again.