Sorting Files Visually - Drag 'n Drop

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Phred

Sorting Files Visually - Drag 'n Drop

Post by *Phred »

Given TC's 'criterion sorting' that is part of its makeup, I'm finding it tricky to arrange files, particularly photos/pictures, according to an order that I simply choose myself - no criterion of Name, Date, Size, etc.
What determines Ctrl-F7 'no sorting' I don't know - entry order in the master file table, I suppose - but it's fixed.

Frequently I want to arrange files in a random-criterion order that makes sense to me, telling a visual story, perhaps, but it's awkward.

Put some playing cards down on a table and slide them around into an arrangement. You get the idea.

So far, I've devised a way of viewing thumbnails in a TC list-panel (tho they're always a bit small) and then using the multi-rename tool, moved as far aside as practicable, and dragging corresponding filenames around in the list (yes, you can do that; even use the kb Delete key) to the extent that thumbnail filenames behind the MRT panel are fully readable (they're often truncated in that view). Then I place a [C] counter at the beginning of the name - and rename them all, for viewing in name-sort order.

Wouldn't it be nice if I could just view the pictures and drag them around into any places I wish?
Anyone see any other way in TC, or know of a drag 'n drop sort program facility in something else?
...once they were in a chosen order, they'd have to be kept in place by some remembering function, or alpha/numeric renamed, as above, for traditional name sorting.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Phred wrote:....
Wouldn't it be nice if I could just view the pictures and drag them around into any places I wish?
Anyone see any other way in TC, or know of a drag 'n drop sort program facility in something else?
...once they were in a chosen order, they'd have to be kept in place by some remembering function, or alpha/numeric renamed, as above, for traditional name sorting.
With TC your approach seems good, you can also have a kind of template/process that's allows you to miix with virtualpanel and not physically renaming files.

Out of Topic : I advise fastone viewer it have a "custom sorting" that exactly fit your requirement.
Phred

FIV Non-Sort

Post by *Phred »

Yes, MRT re-sorting seems to be usable, nsp, though I'm not familar with using a template in a Virtual Panel - I look further into that.

And I see what you're referring to in Faststone Image Viewer. Used FIV for years but never noticed that non-sorting gem - thanks, I'll see what the image/file renaming protocol there can do. It should complement TC nicely.
[..pity TC isn't more practicable in that regard]
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Phred
If you store your files on a FAT32 partition, then TC's unsorted view will show the files in the order they were put in the directory - but if you delete a file and then ad another, the new file will most often jump in the empty space in the file table - alse long filenames can disrupt the order.

You can also pack the files in a zip-file which will also let the files be shown in the order they were put in the file - but again deleting and adding files will break the order.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Phred

If Only

Post by *Phred »

petermad wrote:2Phred
If you store your files on a FAT32 partition, then TC's unsorted view will show the files in the order they were put in the directory - but if you delete a file and then ad another, the new file will most often jump in the empty space in the file table - alse long filenames can disrupt the order.

You can also pack the files in a zip-file which will also let the files be shown in the order they were put in the file - but again deleting and adding files will break the order.
Yes, very few options in TC itself, Peter, and what is possible can easily break. Thanx.
Regards, PhredE
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
Phred

Re: FIV Non-Sort

Post by *Phred »

Phred wrote:Yes, MRT re-sorting seems to be usable, nsp, though I'm not familar with using a template in a Virtual Panel - I look further into that.

And I see what you're referring to in Faststone Image Viewer. Used FIV for years but never noticed that non-sorting gem - thanks, I'll see what the image/file renaming protocol there can do. It should complement TC nicely.
[..pity TC isn't more practicable in that regard]
I've just successfully dragged 'n dropped a set of pictures using Faststone Image Viewer and its Custom Sort facility.
I used its (F2) renaming option of Image###_* to give me filenames of
Image001_originalname.jpg
Image002_originalname.jpg
etc...
Works well, and allows me to view them normally in TC with the traditional Name sort.

I'm thinking about nsp's 'template' idea and Virtual Panel - perhaps that I could drag copies of pictures into a virtual panel in the order I want, then use TC's Multi-Rename Tool to rename them in the fashion above.
Regards, PhredE
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Phred,
You can drag and drop files directly in the MRT.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.