TC and ZeroTier VPN

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sandshark

TC and ZeroTier VPN

Post by *Sandshark »

I use ZeroTier VPN to access my NAS from the internet. TC for Android with the LAN add-on does not seem to be able to use the ZeroTier network. Unlike most other VPN's, ZeroTier works in parallel to the standard network. My NAS has both a local IP address (192.168.0.xxx) and a ZeroTier address (which I have chosen to be 192.168.192,xxx) and I phone either has the same or an IP assigned by my cell provider and it's ZeroTier address. Devices are accessed depending on which address is used.

I can access my NAS just fine using the LAN IP address when I am on my WiFi, but I cannot access it via it's ZeroTier address when on my WiFi or away from home. It goes through several attempts to access it, then ultimately informs me "Error connecting to server! Reported Error: Unknown Host: smb://192.168.192.xxx).

ES File Explorer (which I am trying desperately to dispense with in favor of TC) and Network Browser both work perfectly fine using the ZeroTier address. I have triple checked the address and login info, and they are correct. Just in case, I checked the "older NAS" box to use LMv1 and "Old name lookup method", and they had no effect.

Am I missing something, or is this an incompatibility? If it's an incompatibility, any chance of it being worked on? ZeroTier is a wonderful way to access devices via the internet without having to route everything over a VPN and I would much rather use TC as my file manager with it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Edit: The LAN plugin doesn't set the local IP when connecting, just when getting the remote IP of the server. But it tries with all local IP addresses, so it should be able to connect.

Could you try with the latest beta from the play store, with SMB2 checked? SMB2 uses a different connection method, it may work.

To get the beta, follow this link:
https://www.ghisler.com/betalan
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com