Feature request - Lock tab, allow dir changes below only

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mikus

Feature request - Lock tab, allow dir changes below only

Post by *mikus »

Can we have a 'Lock tab, but subtree only directory changes allowed' option ?

This is a very common use case for me, I have a tab that refers to a project's subtree. I want to lock the tab but allow moving to subdirs below it but not allow going up (stepping out) of it.

Thx!
DjobyDjoba

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

Would be useful for me too. Support++
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

And what should happen when the user changes to a different directory an ANY way? Open a new tab?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DjobyDjoba

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

ghisler wrote:what should happen when the user changes to a different directory an ANY way? Open a new tab?
My idea: if the user try to go to the parent folder of a "subtree locked tab" with the [...] entry, or by pressing Delete, or with cm_GoToParent command, this would do nothing, or perhaps a ding sound (error). This would help to stay "focus" in the subtree without opening a new tab, when we try to go to the parent folder "by mistake".

But when the directory hotlist, folder history, directory tree, or any other mean is used, another tab would be opened.
mikus

Post by *mikus »

Hi Ghisler, thx for responding

I think the most clear way would be to use the same behavior of the currently implemented 'lock tab' mechanism except to not apply it when going down the tree.

I do think that the behavior DjobyDjoba suggests will be more useful (I would add a blinking something as well or popup) but if it is implemented it should probably be an option and apply to both 'lock tab' and 'lock but subtree directory changes allowed'.

Thx!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

DjobyDjoba wrote:My idea: if the user try to go to the parent folder of a "subtree locked tab" with the [...] entry, or by pressing Delete, or with cm_GoToParent command, this would do nothing, or perhaps a ding sound (error). This would help to stay "focus" in the subtree without opening a new tab, when we try to go to the parent folder "by mistake".

But when the directory hotlist, folder history, directory tree, or any other mean is used, another tab would be opened.
I agree, perhaps we could have options like this:

(o) Do nothing
( ) Ding
( ) Open in a new tab

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
DjobyDjoba

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

DjobyDjoba wrote:f the user try to go to the parent folder of a "subtree locked tab" with the [...] entry, or by pressing Delete, or with cm_GoToParent command,
I wanted to write: backspace
DjobyDjoba

Re: Feature request - Lock tab, allow dir changes below only

Post by *DjobyDjoba »

Could this topic be moved in the TC suggestions section of the forum?
And you guess it, this is a bump :wink: