How to copy files and log the failures for investigation?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

PsychoWedge

How to copy files and log the failures for investigation?

Post by *PsychoWedge »

Hi there,

my HDD just went the way of all things. So I did a chkdsk /f /r and after 30 hours of doing things the conclusion was that ca. 1.5 TB of free space are gone but I at least can access the HDD again and I can also see every single file.

The problem is now that quite a few are damaged and can't be opened because of reading errors, wrong attributes or denied access. I also can't delete files anymore because they are to big for the file system. Anyway, I'm trying to save what I can and started to copy everything to another HDD. I made extensive lists of files in every directory via TC's Files -> Print -> File list with subtitles, so that is a big help already.

But all the files that can't be read, have wrong attributes or denied access can't be copied. TC asks me once if it should skip those files and then proceeds to copy everything it can.

But I was wondering if there is an option or a plugin to force him to make a logg entry for every file it can't copy so that I would have all the working files and list(s) with the lost files.

I searched on the plugins-list hier on ghisler a bit but I'm terribly new to modifying TC and didn't find anything that seemed to do what I want.

Is there something like what I search or am I out of luck?

thx in advance. :)
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

If you enable logging (Configuration - Option - Log file - Create log file) you should get "Copy(Skipped)" on every line for unsuccesfully copied file.
eg.:

Code: Select all

2017.08.23 22.10.40: Copy(Skipped): F:\TEST\abc.avi D:\TEST\abc.avi
while for copied file you get only "Copy"
Last edited by Gral on 2017-08-24, 00:28 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: copy files and logg failures

Post by *DrShark »

PsychoWedge wrote:I'm trying to save what I can and started to copy everything to another HDD
If you want to make a backup of HDD using TC, to reduce a number of access denied errors I recommend to start TC with Administrator rights (if you need, you can also check the option in Copy dialog to save NTFS permissions.)
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
PsychoWedge

Post by *PsychoWedge »

Thanks guys. The logging works perfectly. :)

The only problem remaining is that a lot of the files are flagged as "This File came from Another Computer and might be Blocked", probably because it's an external HDD and I ran chkdsk on another computer, so every file that was rescued is flagged. TC says "Error: Cannot write blah. Please remove the write protection!" and then I have to manually skip every single of these files twice (once when TC encounters it first (it's logged as postponed) and then at the end when TC goes through all the postponed files again).

Is there a way to force skip?