Previously visited locations

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

c2walter

Previously visited locations

Post by *c2walter »

Hello,

I am not sure what it is called but the down-facing caret next to the asterisk is the item I am asking about.

If I have multiple TC sessions up, that navigation history seems to be limited to what was navigated to in the last TC session closed. I cannot see where I navigated to in the session before that.

Is a full list available? Is there a way to access it even outside of TC?

Your help is appreciated.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

You can start by checking that this option is selected:
"Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Operation" -> "Save on exit" -> "Directory history"

By default only 26 items are saved between sessions - you can increase that up to 100 by adding this parameter in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini file: HistoryLen=100

You can see the location of your wincmd.ini file at "Help" -> "About Total Commander".

Since the history is only saved when TC is exited, a second instance of TC will not "see" the same history list as the first (current) instance. You can manually save the history (before opening the second TC instance) by using the internal command cm_ConfigSaveDirHistory - which you can assign to a button in the button bar or to a keyboard shortcut, or add to the main menu (like it is in my Extended menu - see link in my signature).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
c2walter

Post by *c2walter »

Thank you. Your reply was very helpful.

It is appreciated.