Feature request

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jb

Re: search improvements

Post by *jb »

_Alex_ wrote:I just had a problem while trying to search file with an attribute "owner" on NTFS. For now it's impossible. IMHO it could be great if somone'll add this feature to Alt+F7 dialog. More than, adding the seach by an access rights would be greatly useful too.
Good idea!
_Alex_ wrote:I don't really mind is this the right place to say about a feature request, but i have not found any other way to say it to TC programmer(s). Is there any other sutable way?
This forum is the right place to suggest new features, but for a new feature you should create a new topic with an informative title (subject). In your case I would name it for example "Feature Request: Find Files by Ownership". This topic is a feature request regarding file selection. It is definitely not a good place for your request because the two requests are quite unrelated. Furthermore this topic has a thoughtless title ("Feature request"). It is almost useless because it describes only the topic type. The most important topic types are: feature request/suggestion, bug/problem report, question.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

jb wrote:Furthermore this topic has a thoughtless title ("Feature request"). It is almost useless because it describes only the topic type.
Yup, you're right... I just didn't think that a subject like "Select all files in the listbox with the same name regardless of their extensions by pressing CTRL + Numpad+" would be very nice. :) Sometimes finding a really descriptive and short title for a subject is not that easy...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Well, the problem with this "little feature" feature is that it is only one of several 100 features! 90% of my time is taken for support and administrative tasks, so little time remains for programming, therefore I have to concentrate on the most wished features...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jb

Post by *jb »

wanderer wrote:I just didn't think that a subject like "Select all files in the listbox with the same name regardless of their extensions by pressing CTRL + Numpad+" would be very nice. :) Sometimes finding a really descriptive and short title for a subject is not that easy...
Sometimes thinking twice helps. :wink:
Clo

Why not---

Post by *Clo »

2wanderer
:) Hello !
• Something like : «Feature request : select NAME.* in file-lists» should did the trick, I guess…
• Currently, Ctrl+Num+ selects all in the panel, the same than Ctrl+A.
* It's an old shortcut as a double, I think that Ch. Ghisler could assign it to the feature you wish.
* Indeed, an internal command like : cm_SelectAllSameName should be welcome too…

:mrgreen:   KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Well, the problem with this "little feature" feature is that it is only one of several 100 features! 90% of my time is taken for support and administrative tasks, so little time remains for programming, therefore I have to concentrate on the most wished features...
That's a shame. I don't know about administrtive tasks but support? I believed that this forum would take much of the support off you. I guess that's not the case...

Anyway, I have an idea which might be helpful. A public wishlist in which the users of this forum would have the oportunity to select and rate their 10 most wanted wishes. 10 for their first one, 9 for their second etc. If more that i.e. 10 users support an idea, it would be added to the list for voting. That way, after let's say a couple of weeks, you would have a list of the most wanted wishes. You could then start implementing them for the next release(s) of TC. After the new major release which would include the requested features (and perhaps a few bug-correcting minor releases), you could re-release the wishlist and let the users vote again for the features of the next major release and so on. If you think it would take you too much time, perhaps someone else will volunteer to support such a task, provided you would agree with that idea. OK, what i said certainly needs some refinement and some thinking but i believe it could help you focus on what the users trully need to see in TC.

2jb
I thought twice! :) I guess i was not in a very good state of mind at that point...

2Clo
Yup, it's a good title... About the shortcut, i meant Ctrl+Alt+Num+, like i said in the first post of the thread :)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

90% of my time is taken for support and administrative tasks, so little time remains for programming, therefore I have to concentrate on the most wished features...
That's a joke, right? Well, at least I hope so.

A developer should program 80% and support 20% or something like that, sounds way better to me honestly. No wonder why things are going so slow. You not even have the time anymore to concentrate on the "most wished" features because most of them haven't been implemented for years. ;)

What about paying someone to do at least "administration" if not answering emails as well so you can concentrate on your core business?

Icfu
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

icfu wrote:No wonder why things are going so slow.
Well, the reason for that is probably the fact that TC is the product of a single developer and not of a programming team.

Speeding things up means hiring new staff, hiring new staff will increase TC’s price.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-11, 11:57 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@pdavit:
Not necessarily.
He "wastes" a lot of time for stuff other people could do as well. He doesn't even need to share responsiblity for TC programming with new devs but it would be enough to outsource administration and part of the support.
Why does he have to answer on questions by email regarding registration and stuff like that himself?

Just imagine he could put 100% or let's say 50% instead of 10% of his energy in the program, how much more happy customers would be the result? How much more bugs could be fixed and desperately needed features implemented?

I can understand that sharing responsibility is not easy for someone doing everything on his own but regarding the efficiency of the competitors (programming separated from administration and support, at least particularly) I don't think it's a good idea to go on like that.

It's not enough when not even the "most wished" wishes can't be implemented anymore because there are too much emails that have to be answered. That's what secretaries are for usually.

Icfu
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Why does he have to answer on questions by email regarding registration and stuff like that himself?
Well, the sales part is Christian's brother's job. Support and programming is Christian's job.
You have to take into account that the more popular TC is, the more support work has Christian to do. This forum should have reduced some workload, but Christian once said it did not. There have been some offers to help with answering support mail questions etc., but Christian hasn't commented them IIRC.

Roman
P.S.: Just consider some threads in this forums - eg the "Do not show my name in the titlebar" thread has grown 8 pages; now that takes some time for Christian to read, let alone reading all the other threads. I once had an idea of choosing/appointing a group of members who would "mark" important threads and forward them to Christian so he can answer and at the same time doesn't have to read long threads with a working solution at the end. However, as Christian is responsible for the contents of this forum, I guess he has to read all the threads anyways.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

You have to take into account that the more popular TC is, the more support work has Christian to do.
Well, and what will be the situation in a year? 1% programming and 99% support? It's pretty obvious that this problem has to be solved, but that's not my business of course.
This forum should have reduced some workload, but Christian once said it did not.
Well, regarding the impression that ghisler posts once to a dozen times a day only, doesn't read whole threads but just the topic and the first posting he seems to support at some other places, I can only assume that it's support by email. Maybe we should just stop asking questions here and instead send him some emails to get a reaction? I bet that he answers all of them in contrary to the place where the real support is been done, right here, by the users. Without this forum and our free help he couldn't program at all anymore.
There have been some offers to help with answering support mail questions etc., but Christian hasn't commented them IIRC.
Of course, that's the prob of all perfectionists, they simply can't outsource responsibility.
P.S.: Just consider some threads in this forums - eg the "Do not show my name in the titlebar" thread has grown 8 pages; now that takes some time for Christian to read, let alone reading all the other threads.
You really think that he reads eight pages of a topic he isn't interested in anyway and then DOES NOT answer even once? Hard to believe...
I once had an idea of choosing/appointing a group of members who would "mark" important threads and forward them to Christian so he can answer and at the same time doesn't have to read long threads with a working solution at the end.
This is sharing responsibility, too, I don't think that this help would be appreciated.
However, as Christian is responsible for the contents of this forum, I guess he has to read all the threads anyways.
He has to react as soon he gets aware that something illegal happens but it's impossible for webmasters to control each and every posting.
In contrary to huge forum sites like http://spotlight.de this forum here is a little sweetie.

Icfu
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Well, and what will be the situation in a year? 1% programming and 99% support? It's pretty obvious that this problem has to be solved, but that's not my business of course.
I agree, but it's up to Christian. I am pretty sure once it isn't manageable for him he will do something about it (I know you would like him to do something right now, however, as I know Christian, I don't think that will happen).
send him some emails to get a reaction? I bet that he answers all of them
AFAIK Christian indeed does answer all emails.
in contrary to the place where the real support is been done, right here, by the users.
What do you understand under "real support"?
Without this forum and our free help he couldn't program at all anymore.
I doubt that.
You really think that he reads eight pages of a topic he isn't interested in anyway and then DOES NOT answer even once? Hard to believe...
Hmm, for instance I do...

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I am pretty sure once it isn't manageable for him he will do something about it
To me 10% programming time means that he can't manage it anymore, what else could be a clear signal? I thought that a developer spends his time with making his product better, not with discussing about how to make it better if he only had the time to do so.
AFAIK Christian indeed does answer all emails.
If someone has a problem with TC he should directly write an email then, right? Why wasting time with us "normal" users in the forum then?
What do you understand under "real support"?
Quite simple, the biggest piece of the cake. Ghisler is a one man show when he answers emails, the forum is there to bring support to all people visiting the forum so it's pretty obvious that email support, if not bug reporting and stuff like that, is a waste of time that only makes one dude happy at the same time. If someone can write an email with a question about TC he could visit the forum as well.
I doubt that.
How much time you think would be left if he would have to do all the support in the forum, too? It's not that his three postings/day make the people happy if all the hot topics concerning feature wishes are ghisler free.
Hmm, for instance I do...
Glass is half full for you, I respect that. ;)

To me it's rather disappointing to read that the author has only the time to implement the "most wished" features. Only God knows what those features are, I have never seen a poll about that, sorry. So I can only assume that it's "his" most wished features.
95% of "my" most wished features for TC will never be implemented as things look then.

Anyway, I found some of them in x2, so life is going on.

Icfu
jb

Post by *jb »

wanderer wrote:2Clo
Yup, it's a good title...
To wanderer:
What prevents you from updating your title?
(disregarding that in the meantime the focus has shifted to "90% of time for support and administrative tasks!").