Crucial FTP related questions !!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

satyr

Crucial FTP related questions !!

Post by *satyr »

First hello to everybody, I am new here, though obsessed with TotalCmd for a long time, but I just didn't need any support so far (but please, see my home-page for details)

My first question here would be about FTP, its commands, and uploading from lists. I carefully read this thread here:

FTP upload from list

1. Everything posted in this topic is preety clear to me. I know how to use both variants, cm_ftpdownloadlist and MENUITEM "UploadList", 558, they seems identical though (their processing)

Though the thing is, I miss one important thing - is there a way to not to be prompted to type password each time (like adding password to the ftplist.txt file, but with which command, and where exactly, all my tries failed) ??

And I tried various "combinations", but none actually worked.

2. Also related to previous paragraph, I am a bit confused about syntax of FTP commands, and which one to use. Particulary in defference between common/standard FTP command-line commands' syntax:

open, user, cd, pwd, ls/dir, mkdir, rmdir, send/put, mput, recv/get, mget, close, bye, quit

And the one, I get with help command, after FTP connection already established (well, some match, but majority don't):

Image: http://users.volja.net/tayiper/TotalCmd-FTP.gif

3. And also, as I see (please, correct me if I am wrong), the wildcards aren't supported in these "upload/download" lists files, nor in that "Send Commands" filed, for particular connection (see below) ??

4. The only thing I don't get it is - what is that "Send Commands" field in the configuration window for particular connection. More precisely - how to use it. Any command I've given was ignored.

I tried for example with put;close (to upload all files from Local dir that's set in field above, and after that close connection), and various other combinations, but as I said, all were ignored by FTP manager.

Thanks all for any help, just I can't wait to contribute to TotalCmd's community !!
Here's a link to my personal Tadej's computing homepage website, please check it out if you're interested in my computing-related articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules etc.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

4. The only thing I don't get it is - what is that "Send Commands" field in the configuration window for particular connection. More precisely - how to use it. Any command I've given was ignored.
AFAIK you have to use SITE <command>.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Though the thing is, I miss one important thing - is there a way to not to be prompted to type password each time (like adding password to the ftplist.txt file, but with which command, and where exactly, all my tries failed) ??
It has to be in this form in the list:
ftp://user:password@server/dir/file
Be careful though, as you have to type the passwords into the file, so anyone can read it, who has acces rights to the list file.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
satyr

Post by *satyr »

Thanks both !!

For password in file, I am not so concerned, cause I have preety tight security rules (filrewall, registry restrictions, etc.) on my "single-user" computer.

/EDIT:I tried today and it works, thank you so much. Now I just click on the created menu-dialog (under Connect), no prompt for choosing a FTP server (where you want to upload), no selecting file and drag/drop them ...

... all is done automaticly exept the one prompt for "overwrite" files that remains. I assume, it's inevitable, silly me - to avoid it, I even tried with the /Y and /Q command-line switches, after each command, hehe.

Just a question on wildcards again. I meant like - I have usually all the .html files in one particular dir to upload (to my host), when update my home page.

I thought to put instead of:

Code: Select all

put:F:\MySystem\WebHosts\=Current\Volja\index.html -> ftp://user@ftp.host.com/index.html
put:F:\MySystem\WebHosts\=Current\Volja\index1.html -> ftp://user@ftp.host.com/index1.html
put:F:\MySystem\WebHosts\=Current\Volja\index2.html -> ftp://user@ftp.host.com/index2.html
something like this:

put:F:\MySystem\WebHosts\=Current\Volja\*.html -> ftp://user@ftp.host.com/*.html
put:F:\MySystem\WebHosts\=Current\Volja\index*.html -> ftp://user@ftp.host.com/index*.html
or maybe even like this:

put:F:\MySystem\WebHosts\=Current\Volja\*.* -> ftp://user@ftp.host.com/*.*
put:F:\MySystem\WebHosts\=Current\Volja\*. -> ftp://user@ftp.host.com/*.
put:F:\MySystem\WebHosts\=Current\Volja\* -> ftp://user@ftp.host.com/*

Thanks again for quick response !!
Here's a link to my personal Tadej's computing homepage website, please check it out if you're interested in my computing-related articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules etc.
satyr

Post by *satyr »

Well, another thing. Why always after successful connection, the put commands in ftplist.txt are into OK:, is there a way to avoid this ??

/EDIT: Please, visit the list of commandline programs, I use with TC in advance, I am sure all the geeks here will find them as crucial part of system.

Go here:

http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=137

http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=137&start=240

Thanks in advance !!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Well, another thing. Why always after successful connection, the put commands in ftplist.txt are into OK:, is there a way to avoid this ??
AFAIK no. TC does this to ensure that if the transfer gets aborted by whatever cause it doesn't transfer the already transferred files again.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
satyr

Post by *satyr »

Uhh, sorry I forgot tho mention the most important thing. After TC adds OK words, FTP lists doesn't work anymore.

Instead of what I described in previous post (no prompts, etc.), I got this prompt:

http://users.volja.net/tayiper/Error1.gif

And after clicking Ok or Cancel, this one:

http://users.volja.net/tayiper/Prompt.gif

And I discovered another thing - appearantly, first time TC adds OK, but next time OK-. I don't know exactly when or how, if I can't connect successfully twice, I need to modify the Upload List file first)

And now instead of those prompts above (Error1.gif, Prompt.gif), this error message window pops-up:

http://users.volja.net/tayiper/Error2.gif

P.S., Maybe this is because of limitations of un-registered version. I really don't know. In your cases it works the same with put:, OK:, or OK-: ??
Last edited by satyr on 2004-10-26, 23:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Clo

No pics---

Post by *Clo »

2satyr
:) Hello !
- I didn't get your problem, BUT :
- there is not any feature limitation in the TC trial-version
- Impossible to watch your pictures; the first is missing (the [X] symbol instead), the others : "404 - Not found" :(

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
satyr

Re: No pics---

Post by *satyr »

Clo wrote:I didn't get your problem
Yeah, the problem is, that after TC adds OK (and later OK- ??), instead of put command (after first sucessful "List-upload"), it can't recognize them anymore. I must manually edit the file, and replace OK (or OK-) with put, as the original should be/is.

/EDIT: Again, slow thinking from my side. I will simply create a batch file (well, I already did, a minute ago) to overwrite it each time with the "original", like I do batch files for deleting TC's FTP logs, YPOPs log, etc., and I will put a shortcut into my shell's menu. Peace of cake.

Clo wrote:Impossible to watch your pictures

Hey, thanks for letting me know. I reposted it with the [URL] "method", instead of [IMG], and I also retransmitted the captures.

Best regards all