Useful 3rd party tools to complement TC

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

satyr

Post by *satyr »

I will stick only to command-line programs in this topic. For most of them, it is also important to mention, I keep all my favorite command-line apps in one special directory (created, not one of Windows default dirs), and I add the path to PATH environment variable, so no need to specify path in TC, just filename, without extesnion.

1. From Sysinternals, I use and recommend these utilties below.

One of the most used is called sdelete, and it's only 60 KB. It offers actually two things. Secure deleting files, as many times you want, and it rewrites file content (as "schredders" other software), as well as file name and extension, and you can nicely see/check all that with Filemon GUI application, guess what, also from Sysinternals

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/sdelete.shtml

Then second Contig, it is also command-line, and it offers to first analyze file-defragmentation, then allows to defragment single file (first app, I've seen to offer that), multiple files, it is directory recursive, etc, it also can make "pre-contiguous" files ("empty", defragmented files/defragmented before used, and containing any data), as far as I know with unlimited lenght

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/contig.shtml

I also recommend Sync, the application that flushes modified file-system data from cache to disk, as stated on Sysinternals "insuring that it will be safe in the face of a crash"

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml

And another, Bginfo that draws bitmaps for desktops, nothing "performance" related though

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/bginfo.shtml

2. And many many other commandline utilites, that I also use, but mostly in batch files, rather than from TC's command-line. Here are listed only the sites with the most crucial and indispensable

Sysinternals site map here

http://www.sysinternals.com/sitemap.shtml

Gammadyne, almoust as crucial as Sysinternals, I couldn't live without backup9.exe and dels.exe

http://www.gammadyne.com/cmdline.htm

Bastet, also couldn't live without Doze.exe, it puts pauses into batch files, Beep.exe, that plays sounds with system-speaker

http://www.bastet.com/software/software.html

Securitysoftware, I start the Sustain.exe from TC's command-line

<REMOVED>
[mod]Sustain.exe contains malware according to VirusTotal! Link to site removed.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]

Stevemiller, I especially use global.exe from Win32 Console ToolBox 1.0 package

http://stevemiller.net/apps

Bitsum, many many useful programs, for trimming executables, etc.

http://www.bitsum.com

GRC, I also use wizmo.exe, which was mentioned in the original post

http://grc.com/default.htm

I am certain the "geeks" will find all these as "must-have" applications, after first time trying them.

cheers all, Tadej
Here's a link to my personal Tadej's computing homepage website, please check it out if you're interested in my computing-related articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules etc.
ibou

Post by *ibou »

ilt's a really good forum
thx all
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

There is a nice tool to create modify and test floppy images :

Virtual Floppy Driver

I stumbled over it while I was trying to make a multi boot CD. Hope it us useful to you.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
sarx

Post by *sarx »

Sanscript, a truly visual programming tool and it's free.

http://www.nwoods.com/sanscript/index.htm
chriss

Post by *chriss »

sarx wrote:Sanscript, a truly visual programming tool and it's free.

http://www.nwoods.com/sanscript/index.htm
???

the download is "free". this costs 129$...
gruß

chriss
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2chriss
this costs 129$...
That is the "Pro" version, but there is a "Free" version as well.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Hi there,

A small Tool that I don't want to miss any more is WinRoll. With this you can: rollup a window or all open windows to their title bar, minimize to tray, send windows to the background, toggle always on top, and some more by left/middle/rightclick on the titlebar or its buttons.

I know, this is nothing special, but winRoll is free & open source, absolutely no installation is needed (just a 15k EXE and an 8k DLL, that's it!) and it doesn't eat up much resources while running.

Tip: choose "about" in the tray icon's menu to find help for the programs functions.

Greets,
tload

Post by *tload »

www.pexus.com

X-Deep/32 - is an X Window Server for Windows NT/2000/9X/ME/XP that can be used to connect to host systems running UNIX, LINUX, IBM AIX, HP-UX, Sun Solaris or any other operating system that supports X Windows System, in a LAN environment or from a home PC connecting to office LAN via a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Helix751

Post by *Helix751 »

FileAlyzer and FoldAlyzer (both included in the same package), by SpyBot (yep, the same authors of SpyBot Search&Destroy)
FileAlyzer is a tool to analyze files ... FileAlyzer allows a basic analysis of files (showing file properties and file contents in hex dump form) and is able to interpret common file contents like resources structures (like text, graphics, HTML, media and PE).
It displays the following kinds of information: General, Version, Resources, PE Header, Sections, Import/Export table, Hex dump, Image preview, Text preview, INI contents, HTML preview, Zip preview, Database preview, Media preview, ID3 tag, RIFF as well as lots of folder information (FoldAlyzer)

i have it defined in TC as the secondary external viewer and it works like a charm.
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
TC11.00x86/x64 | Win11 Pro
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]TypeAndRun version 4.6 released

What's new:

[+] Advanced Space key processing mode;
[+] Ctrl+E in console with some alias name entered opens alias properties in Config Editor;

[*] Now it is possible to set file manager command line parameters;
[*] System aliases now work for user w/o Administrator's rights too;
[*] Now default action executed on document launch (not just "Open");
[*] Fixed bug with /homedir command - it didn't worked with parameters in file manager configuration;
[+] Shift+Space keys combination allows to insert Space using Advanced Space key processing mode;
[+] Now you can add brief comments to aliases;
[+] Added balloon tips with current alias action details and comments;
[+] You can view alias tips by Ctrl+Down;
[+] Internal command /killprocess has been added, that command allows you to kill any process by specifying exe-file as parameter;
[+] You can open dropdown EasyType list by Alt+Down;
[*] Alias with a folder as parameter now executed via configured file manager;
[+] In alias parameter field "¦" symbol substituted by "|" (pipe);
[+] %s and %1, %2, ..., %N placeholders now can be used as command shell parameters;
[*] Advanced backslash processing didn't worked properly with path strings, autocompleted from history;
[+] It is possible now to invert scrolling direction;
[*] Now EasyType dropdown list opens above console box if console window located in the screen bottom;
[+] EasyType dropdown shows only history in case of hitting Alt+Down inside empty console;
[-] "/killprocess" internal command moved to tar_system plugin ("~killprocess" command);
[+] Ctrl+Enter shortcut executes string from EasyType dropdown list directly;
[+] Ctrl+D console shortcut opens entered alias/system alias target file location folder in configured file manager;
[*] Fixed - showing alias's hints in EasyType dropdown even if they were disabled in configuration;
[+] New Shift+Backspace console shortcut acts as regular Backspace if "advanced BackSpace processing mode" enabled;
[+] New Ctrl+Backspace console shortcut deletes all characters right to the next slash/backslash (extremely useful working with paths/hyperlinks);
[*] Changed - main program icon and "About" dialog design;
[*] Fixed - memory leek in autocompletion function;
[*] Fixed - EasyType dropdown list not always appears on Alt+Down;
[*] Fixed - wrong EasyType dropdown size in some cases;
[*] Fixed - memory leek in Check dead aliases on all drives function;
[*] Size of TypeAndRun.exe file has been reduced;
[+] You may set up saving plugins in the History file with any parameters passed;
[*] Sometimes in Windows 98 "path browser" did not worked.

Full distributive (all languages + all plugins + Author's sample config);

Lite distributive (Russian and English languages only).

You can ask related questions/report bugs/make wish requests in TypeAndRun mail conference.[/face][/size]
Last edited by Black Dog on 2004-12-27, 09:30 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

Glad that new TypeAndRun version comes!

BTW, what's tar_proc plugin for? Load it and couldn't find any new alias.
And, it's a little hard that readmes of all plugins are in Russian.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 27-12-2004 03:26:07 +0000 Raymond wrote:

Hello Raymond :).

R> Glad that new TypeAndRun version comes!

Yep, me too %).

R> BTW, what's tar_proc plugin for? Load it and couldn't find
R> any new alias.

It shows processes list in ET dropdown. Actually this is rather conceptual plugin, but it's code used it tarp_system for "~killprocess" command.

R> And, it's a little hard that readmes of all plugins are in Russian.

Well, they of course would be finally translated - as I'd have enough spare time for that :). But you can ask your question in the conference - don't you subscribed yet?[/face]
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]New TypeAndRun plugin tarp_hotkeys added - Hot Keys Global Control.

Allows to assign global hot keys for TypeAndRun aliases.

A lot of users asked to add an ability to start aliases via hot keys. Such a functionality is absolutely in contrary to TypeAndRun ideology, designed to redeem users from a heap of hot keys. But the number of such a requests tends to increase so Author decided to make this plugin for such a purposes though.

TypeAndRun plugin tar_system v.1.7

What's new:

[+] Add new command "~killprocess".

This command has moved from TypeAndRun and have more functionality - after typing ~killprocess plugin generate autocompletion list of processes list.[/face]
Last edited by Black Dog on 2004-12-27, 09:14 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

Black Dog wrote: It shows processes list in ET dropdown. Actually this is rather conceptual plugin, but it's code used it tarp_system for "~killprocess" command.
I've already loaded tar_system plugin. Type "~killprocess" and press ALT+DOWN, the dropdown process list is the same with or without tar_proc.
Maybe I didn't get what "ET dropdown" is.
Black Dog wrote: Well, they of course would be finally translated - as I'd have enough spare time for that :). But you can ask your question in the conference - don't you subscribed yet?[/face][/size]
Yes, I do. I'm Raymond there. :)
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 27-12-2004 10:32:45 +0000 Raymond wrote:

R> I've already loaded tar_system plugin. Type "~killprocess"
R> and press ALT+DOWN, the dropdown process list is the same
R> with or without tar_proc.

As I told you, "this is rather conceptual plugin, but it's code used in tarp_system for "~killprocess" command". That means you don't need to plug it in, actually - 'cause it's code already integrated into tar_system %).

R> Maybe I didn't get what "ET dropdown" is.

"ET dropdown" is EasyType dropdown list - exactly what you got after ALT+DOWN :).

R> Yes, I do. I'm Raymond there.

Yes, I know that Raymond %).[/face]