Issue with Thumbnail View: thumbnails of png files not showed

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gunterotto

Re: Issue with Thumbnail View: thumbnails of png files not showed

Post by *gunterotto »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-23, 11:28 UTC 2. Install Irfanview and set the path to it in the Lister's configuration.
This simple solution worked fine; JPEG and PNG thumbnails seem to display properly in OneDrive now. I do my darndest to keep addons and plugins to a minimum but, who knows, there was a time I used IrfanView a lot. Takes me back a decade or so, however!
Thanks for all the help, Total Commander is an awesome and invaluable tool for so many of us!
User license #29286 (1993, v3.53, still have the floppy disk 😁)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2gunterotto
please test suggestion made above by petermad
The default file type list for: "Internal thumbnails from images" (ThumbGdiplusTypes) is: *.jpg *.dng *.arw *.crw *.cr2 *.cr3 *.nef *.orf *.pef *.raf *.rw2
Maybe adding *.jpeg to that list solves the problem
Of course before that - remove Irfan from the Lister's configuration.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This only helps when the jpg/jpeg file has a thumbnail stored in the file itself. For example, my phone takes photos with embedded thumbnails, but there are no thumbnails when taking a panorama. And you don't need to remove Irfanview because the topmost method "Internal thumbnails from images" is tried first, then lister plugins, then Explorer, then Irfanview.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2ghisler(Author)
If we need to check the behavior described above, then we need to get a negative result, if there is one.
And with your proposal NOT to remove Irfan, we are always guaranteed to get a positive result in the end.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, that's my point: The goal is to always get a thumbnail.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
And AntonyD's goal (and mine) in this case was to test whether adding *.jpeg to ThumbGdiplusTypes would solve the specific problem for gunterotto
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
gunterotto

Post by *gunterotto »

petermad wrote: 2024-01-24, 10:03 UTC 2ghisler(Author)
And AntonyD's goal (and mine) in this case was to test whether adding *.jpeg to ThumbGdiplusTypes would solve the specific problem for gunterotto
Yes, that worked for JPEG, but it did not work for PNG. Odd, may have had an embedded thumbnail? Note that I had to uninstall Irfanview as both thumbnails still worked even after I unchecked "Use Irvanview/Xnview" in Edit/View > Multimedia. (and worked again as soon as I re-installed Irfanview, again without checking the config Multimedia option.)
I appreciate all the effort but no need to go down a rathole for a small problem that has not been an issue for all these years of TC. The workaround is simpler than the fix. Unless, of course, you welcome the challenge! [:-)
User license #29286 (1993, v3.53, still have the floppy disk 😁)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Yes, that worked for JPEG, but it did not work for PNG.
good news, huge thanks for coop-work ;)) And yes PNG does not contains thumbs. Most of the time.
Although the possibility has potentially existed since 2017. When extended EXIF metadata support for this format was approved.
I had to uninstall Irfanview as both thumbnails still worked even after I unchecked "Use Irvanview/Xnview" in Edit/View > Multimedia
VEEEERY strange behavior!
Mr.Ghisler - WHY such case even could arise? Mentioned checkmark does not have any relation to the thumb generation?
You use the calls to IrfanView directly? with assumption that irfan.exe does exist in PATH var.?
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

WHY such case even could arise?
When extracting a thumbnail takes extra long, TC saves the thumbnail image to the thumbnail database. To erase it from there, you need to right click on the file (or selected files) and choose "Re-load selected thumbnails". But uninstalling Irfanview should not have any influence on that...