[OT] Unreal Commander

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

majkinetor ! wrote:I don't know, but on my machine it eneters folders slower then in TC. There is like 100 - 200 ms pause when I click the folder to the moment I enter it. In TC this is instant.

It also loads icons slower.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Well for me it looks as if this guy even copied many things I don't like in TC.
Exactly
Habemus majkam!
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

This definitely didn't have to be rip off. There are bunch of places where TC sucks and this man could fix all that sht but obviosly was happy enough with TC to decide to clone most of its features.
If you'll be more concrete, I'll post your comment to UC author (he speaks russian)
What bunch of places?
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

I can communicate myself with the author, thx.
Habemus majkam!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I am always amazed at the amount of labor developers go though to build a product that is "not a contender"...

Why start yet another file manager without at least attempting to be innovative?
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

U can't judge so fast, maybe the guy wanted to be the same just for the start.

Unfortunately, the mail speaks for itself
Max Diesel wrote:That's just the point that I have made ANOTHER commander. It is similar on TC only because users want it. Users wanted that Linux were similar on Windows. In fact they have got used to windows. Why TC (WC) was similar on NC? Because users wanted it.
And the new Ghisler is born:
Max Diesel wrote:It does not belong neither to the world, or someone from users, its only mine.
Last edited by majkinetor ! on 2007-05-17, 14:34 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Habemus majkam!
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

John,
that is question for the author.
Last edited by Alextp on 2007-05-17, 14:40 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Well, anyway,after speaking few words with the author, I removed a progy. By by... developers will never learn some things. The free licence key is especialy anoying and lenthy and it jumps like crazy until you do it.

For those who want to use clone, the good news is that MD is aware of slow folder opening and will see to fix it
Yes, in know it. And I work for it.
This sentece sounds though like he is going to improve the delay :D

And please, don't mok about his english, we do that with Xtrician. Its borring story over and over.
Habemus majkam!
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

For me this clone works as fast as TC and for some oparations even faster.
It still needs a lot of functions but also has some nice features like the Wipe option on the deletion of files.
zloidooraque

Re: [OT] Unreal Commander

Post by *zloidooraque »

wow i necropost in 17 years!
just ocassionally stumbled upon this thread lol. gotto try this file manager. it has black main interface color option, dealbreaker for me
but setting it up scares me. i use TC(WC) for 20 years, so everything extremely customized
j7n

Re: [OT] Unreal Commander

Post by *j7n »

Unreal Commander appears to be mostly focused on replicating the interface and not adding functions. The GUI still seems unpolished freeware level, not following standard "office 97" conventions, with some elements having too much padding around them, boldface and clashing colors in the file list for most themes. To me, it seems an inferior product. Its size on disk for one architecture is about 50 MB. It doesn't run on WinXP. At that size, I expect more functionality, a host of options in the "Pack" dialog, and work with symbolic links. Even the core without multimedia and archives is 20 MB. It keeps nagging about a license file, which, confusingly, is free to create.

I like the Reaper-style search box in Settings, which was requested in the past. It works very fast.

Total Commander has a Black mode for the GUI too now.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a