ENG: Small talk / Geplauder / Forum Moderation / Spam-Report / Off-Topic

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: rename single filename to UPPERCASE?

Post by *petermad »

2Fla$her
you named wcmiconFlat.dll,
I didn't name any such thing...
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2petermad
Then where did you get these files from: wcmiconFlat102.zip, wcmiconFlat102a.zip, tciconsflat.zip?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Fla$her

In my previous post I was referring to https://plugins.ghisler.com/addons/wciconex.zip which is the official extended iconlib provided by mr. Ghisler and based on the original icons by StickyNomad with extra 48x48 pixel icons from 2006, and later improved in 2019 for dark mode by Ghisler.

TC is hard-coded to replace WCMICONS.DLL with wciconex.dll if wciconex.dll is present in TC's program folder.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2petermad
What does this have to do with it? You wrote that you didn't rename anything. The original name of the flat icon library is WCMICONS.DLL. I'm asking about the 3 archives where the library is named wcmiconFlat.dll. If you didn't rename it, then who did?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: ENG: Small talk / Geplauder / Forum Moderation / Spam-Report / Off-Topic

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2024-05-20, 16:50 UTC

Moved previous 6 off-topic posts from this location.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Fla$her
I'm asking about the 3 archives where the library is named wcmiconFlat.dll. If you didn't rename it, then who did?
I might have renamed them, but as you can see I also have other Flat icon archives, that actually have both names in them.

Anyway, that is besides the point - I have not referred to wcmiconFlat.dll neither in this topic, nor in the original topic - and I never referred to look in my personal (but public available) online backup.

You, on the other hand refers to wciconex.dll in your suggested button code, but it turns out to not be the official wciconex.dll available on ghisler.com - leading to your button showing up without an icon (hence invisible if flat icons are enabled for the button bar) for everyone who does not happen to have your library from fenix_productions installed.

IMHO the smart thing would have been to refer to wcmicons.dll which all TC users can be expected to have, or at least refer to the official wciconex.dll
License #524 (1994)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2petermad
I might have renamed them, but ...
Can you answer the questions directly?
> Then where did you get these files from?
> ... then who did?

I don't understand your concern. The answer was given to your recommendation, not to the question of the topic author. Given your experience, you are quite able to guess where this is coming from. Instead of discussing the decision itself, for some reason you were worried about such a small thing. This is strange.
I explained quite clearly where the name came from. ReadMe recommendations are more than enough. Who did not guess, can replace the icon number with 1, for example.

It's wrong to think that an ordinary user knows where to download the official wciconex.dll. Most of them don't know about its location. Even the community knows more about the fenix and flat libraries than about the link you provided. Well, ok, forget it...
your library from fenix_productions
It's not mine. Why do I need an outdated library? fenix_pro is provided only to indicate the origin of the name of the extended library, on the basis of which *flat* was made. Otherwise, why would I mention the latter?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Can you answer the questions directly?
After looking further into it - yes I renamed the files in wcmiconFlat102.zip and wcmiconFlat102a.zip, I can see that I have also modified the .inc files for use with earlier versions of my extended menus.

Then where did you get these files from?
The .dll file in wcmiconFlat102.zip is the same as the .dll file in flat_wcmicons_1.0.2_mod_v3.rar.zip
The .dll file in wcmiconFlat102a.zip is the same as the .dll file in flat_wcmicons_1.0.2_mod.rar.zip

The files in:
flat_wcmicons_1.0.2_mod_v2.rar.zip
flat_wcmicons_1.0.2_mod_v3.rar.zip
flat_wcmicons_1.0.2_mod.rar.zip
flat_wcmicons_1.0.2_mod.7z.zip

at https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/icons/ are all newer variations of the files in flat_wcmicons_v1.02.7z.zip which I have from here: https://totalcmd.net/plugring/flatwcmicons.html
I do not remember where i have the four newer archives from - but they all credits efesreal as being the original author.

It's wrong to think that an ordinary user knows where to download the official wciconex.dll
May be, but I am quite sure that Ghisler implemented the automatic replacement of wcmicons.dll with wciconex.dll to accomodate the official wciconex.dll from https://plugins.ghisler.com/addons/wciconex.zip not the one from fenix_productions - so when I see wciconex.dll used in the code for a button, I think it is a reasonable assumption on my part, that it refers to Ghislers wciconex.dll

IMHO it is just as wrong to think that the ordinary users has wciconex.dll from either source, that's why I advocate for referring to wcmicons.dll in Button code published here on the Forum.

Even the community knows more about the fenix and flat libraries
I had actually not noticed the fenix_production library before yesterday. Anyway, nobody can know what the cummunity knows the most about.

fenix_pro is provided only to indicate the origin of the name of the extended library, on the basis of which *flat* was made.
Hmm. the fenix_productions library is very differnt from efesreal's library - so much that I don't consider fenix_productions library to be the basis for the "flat" libraries.
License #524 (1994)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

After looking further into it - yes I renamed the files in wcmiconFlat102.zip and wcmiconFlat102a.zip
Thanks for confirming.
I do not remember where i have the four newer archives from - but they all credits efesreal as being the original author.
I'm not interested in the original author. But I have not seen double/triple archives with duplicate dll's and inc's anywhere, only from you.
but I am quite sure that Ghisler implemented the automatic replacement of wcmicons.dll with wciconex.dll to accomodate the official wciconex.dll from https://plugins.ghisler.com/addons/wciconex.zip not the one from fenix_productions
It's obvious. It was implemented long before the advent of third-party libraries.
so when I see wciconex.dll used in the code for a button, I think it is a reasonable assumption on my part, that it refers to Ghislers wciconex.dll
It's your right to think so. I have a different attitude to this. If the library was included in the distribution or offered for download during installation or in the settings, then I would most likely agree.
that's why I advocate for referring to wcmicons.dll in Button code published here on the Forum.
I have seen button codes many times in which icons were taken from anywhere, so I consider the wciconex problem exaggerated.
Hmm. the fenix_productions library is very differnt from efesreal's library - so much that I don't consider fenix_productions library to be the basis for the "flat" libraries.
I didn't mean the look of the icons, if that's what you're thinking. I wrote about using it as an aid or a sample for implementation.
Overquoting is evil! 👎